Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mattress replacement?

Hello,

Hammock newbie here.I'm now looking to maybe replace my mattress with a comfortable hammock. Hopefully, some of you that are more experienced with all things hammock can steer me in the right direction.

Some details about the situation. I haven't really had luck finding comfort on a mattresses lately. Either it's too soft and I wake up with a backache or it's too firm and I wake up because of pressure points or a numb arm.

I love the economy and simplicity of a hammock, and have heard great things regarding sleeping on the ones without spreader bars. I already have the following adjustable hammock stand and would like to buy something that works well with it.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-stan...mmockstand.cfm

I've read mayan hammocks are very comfortable, but I'm not sure if they make the best mattress substitutes. The thick-string mayan hammock at the following link get's really good user reviews.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...ocknatural.cfm

Do you think this might be a good choice, or would you recommend something else-- maybe something with the standard thinner string, a Brazilian hammock or something completely different? Oh also, I'm a pretty tall guy at around 6'3" - if that matters in hammock selection.

thanks,
    yogi

Images
    Generally there are two types, gathered-end (ie. Warbonnet), or a bridge hammock (ie. Jacks 'R' Better). I personally prefer JRB's because is the most comfortable, laying completely flat on my back, side, or stomach. Some prefer the gathered-end, laying diagonally to get a more flat lay. I as quite a few others here went with Warbonnet's Superfly tarp for it's full coverage from any weather. Also, Underground Quilts makes real nice quilts that are affordable and customized, and Dutchware makes some real tiny titanium hardware just for hammock camping. Another member here wrote a book you should get, http://theultimatehang.com/ , it'll give you all your basics. Here's a few links to get you started...
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/
    http://undergroundquilts.com/
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/

Thanks fallkniven,

I appreciate all the info. But just to be clear, this hammock is for indoor use. It's hopefully something I can sleep in every night at home. It's not for hiking and camping etc. Do you think a camping bridge hammock would make a great mattress replacement? I went to the website and it does look comfortable.

Images
    If you need to save some space and sleep alone, sure. You wouldn't be the first. I do remember reading others doing it on here. If you want to try it out, you can pick up a Grand Trank Ultra Light for under $20. It comfortable and compact, I've got 2. Or a traditional cloth spreader bar hammock, just stabalize it so you don't flip over.

Hammock
    North American
    Tarp
    sil-nylon rain fly
    Insulation
    bag/pad combo
    Suspension
    slapstraps
    Images
    For an all in one purchase then I would recommend going with a Hennessy hammock. I would also suggest a CCF pad they are generally cheaper than blow up pads. My combo is two take two ccf pads and a emergency blanket and sandwich the emergency pad in-between the pads, then duct tape the edges.
    Happy Hanging To All

S-size up the situation
    U-undue haste makes waste
    R-remember where you are
    V-vanquish fear and panic
    I-improvise
    V-value living
    A-act like the natives
    L-live by your wits

Hammock
    Tommy Hamamca XX Grande
    Tarp
    roof over my head!
    Insulation
    sleepnbag+blankets
    Suspension
    vario stand
    I'm taller than you by a couple inches, so a big hammock is important to me too. I sleep in a Tommy Hammaca XX Grande every night using the same hammock stand as you. It was recommended to me by another member of this forums and it's great. My only complaint is that it's a hammock for a hot climate and where I live, it gets cold at night and I have to use a quilt or a sleeping bag underneath me.

I'm taller than you by a couple inches, so a big hammock is important to me. If I could do it over again, I'd either order a large cloth hammock, make my own fleece-lined hammock, or get a Warbonnet or Hennessey and an underquilt. A cheaper nylon camping hammock should work just as well too.
    Last edited by kibakichi37; 04-28-2012 at 12:55. Reason: clarity

Hammock
    Tommy Hamamca XX Grande
    Tarp
    roof over my head!
    Insulation
    sleepnbag+blankets
    Suspension
    vario stand
    Yogi, I saw that SimpleRabbit made a 12 ft gathered end hammock and DivaB made a 12x8 ft hammock w/ no seams. That might be a cheap and comfortable idea for you?
    Check out the DIY section

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Cannibal & Knotty both use indoor hammocks at home. Hopefully they will chime in and tell you about their experience with Mayan & Bazillion style hammocks. I think they are beautiful and someday will have one for my home too.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Ok I'll chime in! I sleep in cotton brazilian hammock allready 3 and half years and I do not have mattress some time at all!
    This are exact model I sleep in everynight.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO nix on the Hennessy for indoor use. You don't need the bugnet. This from an avowed Hennessy groupie. A simple top loading hammock would be fine. But for the Cadillac of indoor hammocks consult with Cannibal (I'm not familiar with Knotty's situation.) I used a DIY polyester taffeta hammock built on the ENO Doublenest specs and like it very much. However it has since been retired for several reasons, none of them related to the hammock specifically.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast