Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Originally Posted by olddog
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

Page #1. Ends at post #723
    Page #2
    #101 - turtleburger
    #102 - JakobW
    #103 - berksound
    #104 - HangDenAround
    #105 - civetta62
    #106 - LEAGLE
    #107 - joeybravo13
    #108 - JohnSawyer
    #109 - JaxHiker
    #110 - delphyves, the first from France!
    #111 & 112 - Rightside
    #113 - tato
    #114 - Randy
    #115 - Mag
    #116 - Aardvark
    #117 - Brute1100
    #118 - ptsal
    #119 - Bankheadboy
    #120 - old4hats' second
    #121 - UncleClark
    #122 & 123 - hppyfngy, the Master TD maker!
    #124 - Humpback
    #125 - jima59
    #126 - 100MileBill
    #127 - WV
    #128 - rcracin24
    #129 - NWOHanger
    #130 - doogie
    #131 - WhiteHillReptile
    #132 - catalyst
    #133 - Lupus
    #134 - bowl-maker
    #135 - ewhammock
    #136 - Privateer
    #137 - Settle
    #138 - obmit
    #139 - Jazilla
    #140 - kk4df
    #141 - gothmog
    #142 - Pj1008
    #143 - the2nddeal
    #144 - samjaynes
    #145 - HamMike
    #146 - Veto 65
    #147 - bonsaihiker
    #148 - Peartree
    #149 - hawghanger, for daughter
    #150 - oldfatguy
    #151 - raleighbuckner
    #152 - Corpus
    #153 - Owl
    #154 - Ryn8tor
    #155 & 156 - talldaddy
    #157 & 158 - creativeKayt & nephew
    #159 - body942
    #160 - Jim697
    #161 - ConnerMan
    #162 - Mannowar
    #163 - HayJay
    #164 - recentconvert
    #165 - PappyAmos
    #166 - for dkurfiss by harleynemo
    #167 - MrClean417
    #168 - Miguel
    #169 - camoxjeep
    #170 - Snarl
    #171 & 172 - mitchamaphone
    #173 - oldpappy
    #174 - jmstallard
    #175 - CamRun's second
    #176 - FlyingFox
    #177 - FLRider
    #178 - pumkinpete
    #179 - sdc
    #180 - Unmighty
    #181 - bdaabat's second
    #182, 183, 184 - hillbilly. Set of 3 aluminum stands
    #185 - georgecarr
    #186 - HickoryStick
    #187 - nitokerght

Banana Hammock I believe your stand will be a #1 of a totally new idea. Just need to come up with a new name for it. Maybe TurtleBanana Stand.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post

#185 - georgecarr
    #186 - HickoryStick
    #187 - nitokerght

Banana Hammock I believe your stand will be a #1 of a totally new idea. Just need to come up with a new name for it. Maybe TurtleBanana Stand.
    I'm not sure how my ridgepole between two tripods is a totally new idea, considering this list is composed of both your hinge design, as well as TurtleLady's traditional tripod lashing.

I'm offended that you've denied me entry into your elite club, but I've already claimed #187, and engraved, "T-Stand #187" into its ridgepole, so it is written.

You can exclude me from your list, but I'll always know the truth.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

Page #1. Ends at post #723
    Page #2
    #101 - turtleburger
    #102 - JakobW
    #103 - berksound
    #104 - HangDenAround
    #105 - civetta62
    #106 - LEAGLE
    #107 - joeybravo13
    #108 - JohnSawyer
    #109 - JaxHiker
    #110 - delphyves, the first from France!
    #111 & 112 - Rightside
    #113 - tato
    #114 - Randy
    #115 - Mag
    #116 - Aardvark
    #117 - Brute1100
    #118 - ptsal
    #119 - Bankheadboy
    #120 - old4hats' second
    #121 - UncleClark
    #122 & 123 - hppyfngy, the Master TD maker!
    #124 - Humpback
    #125 - jima59
    #126 - 100MileBill
    #127 - WV
    #128 - rcracin24
    #129 - NWOHanger
    #130 - doogie
    #131 - WhiteHillReptile
    #132 - catalyst
    #133 - Lupus
    #134 - bowl-maker
    #135 - ewhammock
    #136 - Privateer
    #137 - Settle
    #138 - obmit
    #139 - Jazilla
    #140 - kk4df
    #141 - gothmog
    #142 - Pj1008
    #143 - the2nddeal
    #144 - samjaynes
    #145 - HamMike
    #146 - Veto 65
    #147 - bonsaihiker
    #148 - Peartree
    #149 - hawghanger, for daughter
    #150 - oldfatguy
    #151 - raleighbuckner
    #152 - Corpus
    #153 - Owl
    #154 - Ryn8tor
    #155 & 156 - talldaddy
    #157 & 158 - creativeKayt & nephew
    #159 - body942
    #160 - Jim697
    #161 - ConnerMan
    #162 - Mannowar
    #163 - HayJay
    #164 - recentconvert
    #165 - PappyAmos
    #166 - for dkurfiss by harleynemo
    #167 - MrClean417
    #168 - Miguel
    #169 - camoxjeep
    #170 - Snarl
    #171 & 172 - mitchamaphone
    #173 - oldpappy
    #174 - jmstallard
    #175 - CamRun's second
    #176 - FlyingFox
    #177 - FLRider
    #178 - pumkinpete
    #179 - sdc
    #180 - Unmighty
    #181 - bdaabat's second
    #182, 183, 184 - hillbilly. Set of 3 aluminum stands
    #185 - georgecarr
    #186 - HickoryStick
    #187 - Banana Hammock and his Banana Stand!
    #188 - nitokerght

Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    #187 - Banana Hammock and his Banana Stand!
    #188 - nitokerght

Thanks, Hppyfngy But now I understand how my stand doesn't incorporate any of OldDog's design, since his contribution was only adding the hinges to TurtleLady's original design. I got confused - I thought "TurtleDog" was like TurtleLady's husband or something, and I thought they designed the stand together - TurtleLady using rope, and TurtleDog using hinges.

I now understand that there is no "TurtleDog" username, it was merely a merging of their two usernames, adding OldDog's hinge-mod to her design, and "TurtleDog" is the name of that particular hinged stand design.

I failed to read all 152 pages of the TurtleDog thread, and all 77 pages of the TurtleLady thread - although I tried. I probably read about 20% of those threads.

I realize now I shouldn't have been offended so quickly, since OldDog didn't feel justified receiving the credit I gave him in my "Banana Stand" thread, since I failed to incorporate his hinge contribution.

I finally see that my stand is not a "TurtleDog" stand at all, and I apologize for mis-posting in his thread - since I made a modded TurtleLady stand, without any OldDog style hinges.

It's all just so confusing, all these different mod-names. They're all just "TurtleStands" to me - giving tribute to TurtleLady as the designer.

I formally apologize to OldDog, for littering his thread, and claiming I had used his design when I didn't. And for freaking out, when I was wrong. I'm sorry for thinking I used your design, OldDog, I was ignorant and confused.

I just wanted a number, to make it official - I wanted to belong to your special club. I should have done more research. I'm a slow dog.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images

Re: The TurtleDog stand

Origin of the species.

Evolution.

I have cousins I would like to say aren't related to me, but they are.

You wanted on the list and you are. You also deserve to have your own Banana Stand recognition.

I won't take you off the list. I respect your right to put your Banana anywhere you like. Stand, that is. Banana Stand.

Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
    ...I just wanted a number...
    Here's a number for you...consider yourself as #1 on the TurtleBanstand list.

You could also consider the connected eye bolts as being a hinge.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Origin of the species.

Evolution.

I have cousins I would like to say aren't related to me, but they are.

You wanted on the list and you are. You also deserve to have your own Banana Stand recognition.

I won't take you off the list. I respect your right to put your Banana anywhere you like. Stand, that is. Banana Stand.

Sweet, because I secretly wanted that number for the Gangsta Rap/Homicide Code references. You're a good guy, hppyfngy - so I copied off of your signature (stand instructions). Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You could also consider the connected eye bolts as being a hinge.
    I was thinking something more like this:

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sorry if I offended in any way BH. I was just looking at your design as being another evolutionary step in the TurtleLady stand. My only modification of the TL was the hinge vs lashing and 2x2's vs bamboo and then only because I had no source for bamboo. The TD name was bestowed by samsara who along with hppyfngy made major contributions to improving the TD design. I have basically sat back in awe just watching the evolution of the design provided to us all by the Turtlelady. Your concept is unique and different enough to be considered in it's own rights and you deserving the credit. I wasn't trying to deny you the # 187 because of the lack of a hinge only the fact that you deserve recognition in advancing the basic 2 tripod/ toprail concept to another level.

As an aside I had already considered cutting off the listing of new constructions of TD's due to the amount of space it fills in the thread. As of #200 the listings will no longer be maintained.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

TurtleLady's TurtleDog Question

LOL! What an entertaining read these last few posts here have been!

Banana Hammock -- you and your stand are a delight! Your stand, not your misunderstandings of our hammock family tree branches, has now stirred things up here with my actual (most wonderful) husband, who, though a ground dweller, and not a member in this forum, is very supportive of my efforts to hang safely wherever we travel. We both see your press fitted nuts in conduit for both the top connectors and securing leg segments as the missing link to making my most compact 1/2" conduit segmented traveler stand easier to construct and set up, MORE COMPACT and lighter. My current goal is to make it light and small enough to fit inside my roller luggage. Bill is retiring next month and we hope to travel quite a bit in the next few years. A stand will go on every trip! Thank you for the timely inspiration for improvements you have given us. Thank you also for your care in giving credit appropriately.

I also covet a spot in the Turtledog Club! I have a question after making my TurtleDog stand recently. The alignment of my third, short leg can become skewed when the stand is jostled when unweighted, due to the pivoting of the hinge on the other two legs. I experienced this recently on an especially slick floor. I noticed the misalignment soon enough to avoid any mishap but it sure surprised me. Has anyone else encountered problems with this skewing and made modifications to set the alignment or stop the pivoting of the rectangular part of the hinge?

Banana Hammock, or others: If you want to start a numbered club for the Turtlelady stands, you have my blessings. I don't have any interest in maintaining such a list, but don't mind if others do it. Banana, you could have 187 on that list, too, if you want : )

BTW: My Turtledog stand has segmented legs using @24" wooden hinged 2x2 legs for the top segments, but 4' army canopy poles for the bottom segments. I carved the bottom 4-6" of the wooden top segments into round inserts to connect the two segments. I made the slanted top cuts. I will try to add a photo when I can get some techy help for that tomorrow.

Enjoy. Turtlelady

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Sorry if I offended in any way BH. I was just looking at your design as being another evolutionary step in the TurtleLady stand. My only modification of the TL was the hinge vs lashing and 2x2's vs bamboo and then only because I had no source for bamboo. The TD name was bestowed by samsara who along with hppyfngy made major contributions to improving the TD design. I have basically sat back in awe just watching the evolution of the design provided to us all by the Turtlelady. Your concept is unique and different enough to be considered in it's own rights and you deserving the credit. I wasn't trying to deny you the # 187 because of the lack of a hinge only the fact that you deserve recognition in advancing the basic 2 tripod/ toprail concept to another level.
    OldDog, you didn't offend me - it was my own misunderstanding and confusion that I offended myself, without any help! Thank you for being so patient with my unnecessary drama!

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    LOL! What an entertaining read these last few posts here have been!

Banana Hammock -- you and your stand are a delight! Your stand, not your misunderstandings of our hammock family tree branches, has now stirred things up here with my actual (most wonderful) husband, who, though a ground dweller, and not a member in this forum, is very supportive of my efforts to hang safely wherever we travel. We both see your press fitted nuts in conduit for both the top connectors and securing leg segments as the missing link to making my most compact 1/2" conduit segmented traveler stand easier to construct and set up, MORE COMPACT and lighter. My current goal is to make it light and small enough to fit inside my roller luggage. Bill is retiring next month and we hope to travel quite a bit in the next few years. A stand will go on every trip! Thank you for the timely inspiration for improvements you have given us. Thank you also for your care in giving credit appropriately.

My Turtledog stand has segmented legs . . .
    Thank you, TurtleLady, for providing the design and inspiration, and especially for your kind words

I will perform a test on segmentation tomorrow. I will use a 3-foot section that I removed from my legs, to extend my ridgepole to 13 feet, in hopes I'll be able to rig my 144" tarp under the ridgepole. I'll let you know if it works out, so you can then make as many small segments as needed for your application.

I'll unthread one eyebolt from one end of the ridge-pole, and press-fit nuts into both sides of the 3-foot extension. I'll connect the 3-foot extension to the 10-foot ridgepole with a stud, using the nut that is currently holding the eye-bolt in the ridgepole now. Then, I'll transfer the eyebolt to the other end of the 3-foot extension, and we'll see if it will be sturdy enough to support everything.

According to Derek Hanson's Hammock Calculator, adding 3-feet to my "distance between trees", will lower my "seat height" ten inches (to a more manageable 20"), and I'll need to add 20" to the hammock's suspension on each side, to keep the 30º hangle. I could also raise my ridgepole by attaching it directly to the Nacrabiner™, and losing the carabiner, but I don't think that'll be necessary. I really like having such a large space for the natural swing of the hammock the way it's currently configured (your brilliant design!).

Right now, my "seat height" is at 30" indoors with the 10' ridgepole on my 107" Structural Ridge Line of my 11-foot DIY hammock with whipped/gathered ends. That is with minimal splay of the tripod legs (not much room for wide-splay indoors, until I rearrange some furniture). This is with 7.5" of suspension, from whipped ends to ridgepole eyebolts.

I'm still refining some aspects and I'll post updates on my thread and stop derailing this one! Happy hanging, everybody! (I'm loving this stand, and have been using it constantly indoors, for reading, lounging, and sleeping) The eyebolt stand has been perfectly stable and solid, or I should say, "All is secure in sector seven" (Shug Emery).

• + New Posts
  • Page 152 of 320 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast