WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post
    ...is there any easy way to adapt a WS suspension on to these without rearranging a bunch of stuff?
    Prusik continuous loops to the ridgepole, run the whoopies through them (or biners attached to the loops) and connect the whoopies together in the center with a biner.

Whoopie center connected.jpg

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...37#post1117337

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Prusik continuous loops to the ridgepole, run the whoopies through them (or biners attached to the loops) and connect the whoopies together in the center with a biner.

Whoopie center connected.jpg

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...37#post1117337

nice, i'll give that a try. i got pretty close by just adding a CL on the foot end. might try making some CLs that are a little longer than usual.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post
    nice, i'll give that a try. i got pretty close by just adding a CL on the foot end. might try making some CLs that are a little longer than usual.
    If I'm using ridgepole that is too short for whoopies, I usually just swap them for short CLs and loop them on a MSH in the webbing. That way I can still make quick adjustments by moving the MSH. The MSH can be tied within about 3" of the ridgepole if needed.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    You can also make a small dogbone. Hitch it to the hammock and slide the other loop over the ridge pole. Remove the dogbone when taking the hammock to the woods.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    Martmot + Mods
    Suspension
    Atlas + Camp Nano
    Images
    Nice work, and good pictures!
    My website 'Trekking Buddha'
    Alt Living, Cycling, Minimalism, Outdoors, Zen!
    Click Here.

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    My 2 cents on end caps. If it is not needed I don't use it. The guiding force is keep it simple and user friendly.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images

Re: The TurtleDog stand

Quote Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
    My 2 cents on end caps. If it is not needed I don't use it. The guiding force is keep it simple and user friendly.
    Not to be argumentative, as I don't necessarily disagree, but the end caps do provide an elegant solution.
    They provide a single point for attachments and completely eliminate the issue of suspension creeping toward the middle of the ridge pole.
    I don't require inner tubes or prusiks or any other trickery. Heck, I don't even have to sub out my whoopies.

I get the reluctance to trust them, but once again, I haven't heard of one failing either.

Honestly, they're as "simple and user friendly" as can be.

HYOH...
    hfg
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

The TurtleDog stand

I'm new to HF. The past weekend I helped my boys make their hammocks on Saturday, then their TurtleDog stands on Sunday. I used 2x3s for the legs and used U bolts on the rails like someone else many pages back. I have a full size pickup, so I wasn't to concerned about weight. I think we will paint the stands this weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383278380.197003.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1383278395.546129.jpg

I do not see the end caps as being "not tested." They've been in use for quite a while by many who were among the first to post in this thread. Not a single failure. For me, THAT is "tested" enough.

Now that I got that out of my system, I will be keeping the end caps, but won't be hanging my hammock from them. (what?!!?) This, for the simple reason that when I did try it, the ridge pole flexed up from 6 to 8 inches. The cap was too far outside of the ridge pole hanging point.

Just as Samsara posted about a page back.

I will keep the end caps, just in case they work out for the DIY hex fly I'm working on. Other wise, off they go. I still have the cast eye-bolts on the ridge pole, but no longer use the tree straps like I did initially. That led to problems with the straps sliding if I wasn't very careful about how I wrapped them and the ridge pole often flexed down as a result. And I took more advice from this thread, and now have the ridge pole hanging from the shackle on the hinge, by a loop of Amsteel, so I can adjust the pole height, as needed. (Thanks for that one!)

Now I just use the rope that came on my HH Expedition, one turn around the pipe, just outside of the eye-bolt, then the standard "Hennessy lashing," as shown in the video's on their web site. The end result, NO detectable ridge pole flex, up or down.

I have found that the little asym rain fly that came with the hammock seems to work best, left rigged on the hammock as it came from Hennessy. I've played with setting it on it's own ridge line, gives a little more roomy-feeling inside the hammock, but I don't think it will work as well as the "factory set-up." But the Black Cat hex rain fly I'm working on, with a 12ft. ridge length should give me all the room I need, and I'll be able to hang it higher and still bet good protection. And I found some wider material than the instructions called for, and will use the extra width. (It's 68 inches wide.)

I know I'll be getting plenty of use out of the TDS. But the funny thing is, I really wanted it done fast, because of an upcoming trip the second Tuesday of November. I just knew I'd have to have it for that trip. So, now, it is ready to go. However, I did some talking with some of the locals where I'm headed and found out that there will be plenty of trees!

So, the TDS won't be making that particular trip after all. Posting about the TDS on two other forums has generated quite a bit on interest. And be sure that I told every one who asked, that they need to come to this Forum to get the whole story and all the relevant info on building these great, portable hammock stands. Yes, I did provide them with links, too.

Sorry for being so long-winded. But I seem to have a "talent" for using 99 words when 1 would do. .

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I love this thread and all the information and variations of what appears to be a great hammock stand. Before I take on this awesome project I'd like to see how the ridge pole sections fit together, I don't believe I've seen this on the thread. Thanks guys.
    " The quickest way to the universe is through the forest wilderness"

• + New Posts
  • Page 186 of 320 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast