Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Gathered End
    Tarp
    Noah 12', DIYTyvek
    Insulation
    ALPS Air Mattress
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Bought the lumber and hardware for stand number 1, wanted to build and test one before progressing to stand number 2. I always have to double everything since I also have to buy and build for young son who hangs with me. We used 2x3's because I couldn't find any decent 2x2's at either the Orange Box or the Blue Box. I thought about going to the local lumber yard but the 2x3's were closer and weren't the worst I'd ever seen so I figured I'd give them a shot, I have a habit of overbuilding. Since I was building these specifically for a Cub Scout car camping trip to the beach next month, so no trees, I wasn't concerned with weight or size. I could not locate the military surplus ham radio antenna sections locally so I ordered 12 off of ebay with a huge rubberized dufflebag for $60. I wanted to use the aluminum sections rather than the fence pole so I could break down ridge shorter and I have a few different tarps for different conditions and wanted some convertibility. I am not gifted with the carpenter gene, I have the desire just not the ability, so it took about two hours to cut, assemble and get the hammock hung. Put in leg restrictors and used two doubled loops of 550 to hang the ridge and used 3 sections of the antenna for a 12' ridgepole so I could use the whoopies. Worked like a champ. young son loved it. Now I have all of the material for stand number 2 which will get built this week. I would like to have a couple of test hangs before our trip next month.

One thing I did, that I saw somewhere on this massive thread, is use Eyebolts on the outboard leg on the lower hinge connection rather than just a bolt. Thought it would be useful for hanging stuff or for use of a tie down to the ground for wind protection. The leg restrictors are about 3' up the leg which I cut to 6.5'. The spread is pretty wide at the base about 5.5' from leg to leg for a little more stability.
    Turtledog Hinge.jpgTurtledog Hinge2.jpgTurtledog1.jpgTurtledog2.jpg
    Frank

This one time at Scout camp. . .

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird, WB BB
    Tarp
    WB SF, ENO PF
    Insulation
    New River, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images
    Looks great. One thing that's been confusing me is people calling the 4 ft pole sections, military ham radio antenna sections (not just you, even on eBay). The poles are for holding up camouflage nets. I've used them as a make shift masts for antennas but never seen them part of an issued antenna kit. Not trying to stir up any crap, just thought it might help others locate them by using the right terminology.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Gathered End
    Tarp
    Noah 12', DIYTyvek
    Insulation
    ALPS Air Mattress
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    I have seen them listed as both netting support and antenna mounts, never having had to use them in the past I was kind of throwing darts in the dark when I was searching online. When searching on ebay I think I had put in "military surplus, aluminum pole" and they came up somehow. The folks I bought them from were a ham radio outfit in Ohio. Either way I got what I needed for a good price. I recommend them highly if folks are using them for a ridgepole for these stands.
    Frank

This one time at Scout camp. . .

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird, WB BB
    Tarp
    WB SF, ENO PF
    Insulation
    New River, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Images
    Good deal. Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    WBBB/ENO DN
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images
    I used my Atlas straps to hang the pole from the metal ring coming off the hinge. Good/Bad idea IDK. Is there a reason why you need to cut the 8 ft 2 x 2's down to 6 feet? I left them 8 ft and it seems as if it is working. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    I used my Atlas straps to hang the pole from the metal ring coming off the hinge. Good/Bad idea IDK. Is there a reason why you need to cut the 8 ft 2 x 2's down to 6 feet? I left them 8 ft and it seems as if it is working. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I left mine at 8' I think it is just portability and preference really.

Hammock
    WBBB/ENO DN
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images
    Thanks f k. I'm a little worried about using the Atlas straps but time will tell....

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Thanks f k. I'm a little worried about using the Atlas straps but time will tell....
    Are those the ones that stretch? If so as long as you are using a short length of the strap i bet you would be ok and not notice too much stretch, but i really cannot speak from experience on that.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    HG incubator o*
    Suspension
    webbing and buckle
    keep us all posted of any mods or changes you do to it.
    The path you choose in life. Should lead straight to a Hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB/ENO DN
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    Pad
    Images
    IMG_1853.jpg
    This is the Atlas strap from the Turtledog stand hinge to the pole. Its clipped back onto itself with the supplied ENO biner. Wrapping it tight around itself holds my whoopie sling in place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 205 of 320 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast