Page 308 of 320 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310318 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 3191

The TurtleDog stand

Well this happened, bent the ridge pole, landed on my butt lol!!
    Wife was crying with laughter!! Lol!!
    I clipped the crabs directly to the Amstel loops coming from the tripods.
    So now I need to try something different. I can’t work out what I’m doing wrong!!

I had my insulation in it for a night in the garden and everything lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    You seem to having a bad time with that conduit, get yourself down to Wickes and get one of these,
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trea...-3-6m/p/190165
    and use it like this,

(Like I do at 2:40)
    Note the orientation of the ridgepole, with the strongest, 70mm, side vertical. And wrap your straps around the ridgepole so it is directly below the cord from the tripod.
    It's only 9 quid and will be stiffer than that conduit can ever be (that's why roof beams are wood, not mild steel tube!!).

PS
    You were lucky nothing was impaled by those long bolts sticking out (they might have contributed to the failure... all those holes)

The TurtleDog stand

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    You seem to having a bad time with that conduit, get yourself down to Wickes and get one of these,
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trea...-3-6m/p/190165
    and use it like this,

(Like I do at 2:40)
    Note the orientation of the ridgepole, with the strongest, 70mm, side vertical. And wrap your straps around the ridgepole so it is directly below the cord from the tripod.
    It's only 9 quid and will be stiffer than that conduit can ever be (that's why roof beams are wood, not mild steel tube!!).

PS
    You were lucky nothing was impaled by those long bolts sticking out (they might have contributed to the failure... all those holes)
    Cheers mate, and your absolutely right about the bolts!! Total rookie error!! It wasn’t until it failed I realised I had not cut them down!!
    Any reason why I can’t get the wood from my local ridgeons? Wickes is 25 miles away lol!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacko1066 View Post
    Any reason why I can’t get the wood from my local ridgeons? Wickes is 25 miles away lol!
    Err.. who??
    Get it wherever you like sunshine! I got mine from my local agricultural merchant.
    Look for treated 3x2" (75x45mm), make sure it is longer than your tarp, if you want to rig one.
    I have a 3.5m one and a 4.2m one I use with my 14.5 foot Mayan family hammock!

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Err.. who??
    Get it wherever you like sunshine! I got mine from my local agricultural merchant.
    Look for treated 3x2" (75x45mm), make sure it is longer than your tarp, if you want to rig one.
    I have a 3.5m one and a 4.2m one I use with my 14.5 foot Mayan family hammock!
    My tarp is a 3x3 Dd superlight, but also have a superfly, so I’m guessing 4m will be best. Plus tbh, at 3.5m with the ridge pole, i just couldn’t get the right angle with my hammock. Iv also learned from your video that I think I may have my tripod legs not far enough apart.

Re: about the wood, I didn’t know if there was anything specific about that brand, but I get it now, was just an easy example to show.

First post so be kind. Glad I found this place. I have some new suspension coming next week.

Quick question. What is the length of the restraining line on the lower legs?

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by crassostrea View Post
    Quick question. What is the length of the restraining line on the lower legs?

It varies by how tall the tripod legs are, how high up the legs you attach the cord, what angle you prefer you legs sit at, etc. Get the legs set how you want and set the cord accordingly. The cord is just a safety factor so the legs don't slip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    For security, couldn't you drill a small hole through both the tubes where the fence rail tapers into the second piece. Then insert a small bolt with maybe a wing nut for easy tightening. I'm thinking the bolt would assure the poles won't come apart and maybe take out some bending tendency. I'm guessing any hole would weaken the material, but that would be compensated for by fixing them together with the bold.
    Or insert wood cylinder to where the bolts inserted, that way they are through a solid object, not halo tubes.

My attempt at the Turtledog stand. I bought a Hennessy hammock about a year ago. I don't have two closely spaces trees in my yard to hang from. I was hesitant to camp without working out my setup in the back yard first. Well I finally got around to making a stand. I figured I'd go with a clean look and use some Tee nuts. Although it's a clean look you can't get a socket on the bolts right next to the hinge. I had to use an open end wrench to tighten them down. I secured the rail caps with self setting metal screws. I did drill a pilot hole for those. My carpentry skills exceed my knot tying skills. I wasn't sure how to attach the fence rail to the hook and didn't want to wait till an order from Dutchware came in so I improvised and used my go to knot. A butt load wraps around the fence pole followed with a butt load of half hitches. Parts cost was about $80. I spend more than that because I didn't have an angle grinder and bought another work bench and other stuff. The legs do move around on me. Maybe I'll drill a hole in the legs to spike them down or figure out something else. My lady and son both got in it. I used 3/8 galvanized bolts. I could bring that set up to the beach in the winter and watch the stars at night. Took an afternoon to make the stands. That's with multiple trips to the store for parts. Next time I'll be faster. I might try a different design next time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 308 of 320 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310318 ... LastLast