Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
There is absolutely zero horizontal pull on the tripods with the hammock suspended correctly. Add a tarp, and there is nothing but horizontal pull. It's physics, my dear Watson

To rig a tarp successfully, a line from the top of the tripod to a ground stake must be added. The stake (a beefy one) should be in line with the hammock. That line will counteract the horizontal force of the tarp tension
Incorrect, my dear Watson, I have my tarp rigged to the ridgepole. Of course I don't have my hammock attached to the end cap, but do use it for the tarp. When hanging the tarp, I find that I do need to hold the ridgepole while pulling the tarp ridgeline tight. But once I have that, then the rest is easy easy.

Not saying that you can't add the extra guy, it's just not needed if you attach to the ridgepole. I was thinking about winter camping and wanting to lower the tarp, then I may have to hook to a stand leg, and add a guy. I have already planed for a guyline to help stablize the stand in high winds. It's not bad until you add the sail (hammock) to it.