Page 284 of 295 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 2941
    Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
    Got my stands and ridgepole painted and up today. I went to Lowe's and got a quart of exterior Valspar paint. I wanted a dark brown color to give it a nature type of feel. I went with a color called "Cowboy Boots". Sanded the legs with some 120grit sandpaper to smooth off the roughness. I also sanded the ridgepole (galvanized fence toprail) with the same 120grit. I used a dust mask (and safety glasses) as I don't want that galvanize or wood dust in my body. I went with a satin black Rustoleum paint & primer in one. The pole and legs have two coats of paint on them so I shouldn't have to repaint them anytime soon. I made sure to give the legs a good coating on the bottoms as that's where they will encounter earth, dirt or water.
    I also found a bracket that helps hang my bug net. Not sure if I am going to keep it or not. It worked out well due to it screwed directly onto the stubs of the 1/4" screws I used to attach the legs to the hinge. May have to do some fabricating on it to make it more functional and lighter.

just curious hows the paint holding up?
    I'm thinking of painting mine too for aesthetic, protection, and hopefully prevent splinters.
    thanks

I finally got one built this weekend. Was a lot of fun.

I went with 2 top rails that I cut down to 6 feet 1.25 inches so when you put them together you get a 12' top rail. Now everything is more portable.

@Ledanek I have a HH Asym and the 12' length works great and offers room for growth and adjustments.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    much appreciate there.
    I'll probably cut the legs to 6 feet soon, then finalize on painting primer on the wood, the Plasti-Dip the top and bottom of wood.

Still toying around the idea of placing a wheel on one of the leg, once it's all strap down together for transport.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I read the first 25 pages before without finding an answer.

I'm XXL, 300#. I'm worried 2x2's for the tripod would bow and snap under my weight.

I understand the closer the legs are spread the more weight is in the vertical. With a 4' spread, I wonder if my weight would still result in too much bowing.

I wonder if I could make some sort of braceing for the middle to prevent bowing or if I should even worry about it or just get bigger lumber.

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitballJedi View Post
    I read the first 25 pages before without finding an answer.

I'm XXL, 300#. I'm worried 2x2's for the tripod would bow and snap under my weight.

I understand the closer the legs are spread the more weight is in the vertical. With a 4' spread, I wonder if my weight would still result in too much bowing.

I wonder if I could make some sort of braceing for the middle to prevent bowing or if I should even worry about it or just get bigger lumber.
    I ripped down my own 2x4s to make the 2x2s and they aren't particularly beautiful. I'm the same weight as you and have had zero problems. I'm not worried about mine at all.

Remember, there are 6 legs so each only has to handle 50lbs of vertical force. The more vertical you have them the more they can support. But too vertical makes the stand tippy.

I doubt I have a 4' spread at the bottom. I just put them where they looked right and made both sides even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not worry about it as long as you find straight 2x2's. I am 280 pounds and there is no give from the boards whatsoever. I would imagine they would hold 600 pounds plus. If they are warped, that is another story entirely as that would compromise rigidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY variety
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok, I've been digging through pages and pages of this long thread and have not yet discovered the answer to my issue. I'm having trouble with the legs on my tripod stands walking inward, to the point of tipping the whole rig, while getting into and getting comfortable in the hammock.

Currently, my gate hinged tripod legs are 6'-0" tall, I've tried spreading the tripod legs anywhere from 48" to 60", I've got a 10' long ridgepole hanging from the hinges and the hammock is connected at the same point as the ridgepole suspension point.

Is there a general consensus, at this point, on how tall the tripod legs should be, how far apart the tripod legs should be spread, how far below the hinges the ridgepole should hang, and how long the ridgepole can be, and anything else important that I may be missing.

I'd keep digging through the thread, but I my head hurts despite wearing a hard hat during testing. I'm also not going to put either of my kids into one of these until I get it figured out.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ + mummy bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventures42day View Post
    Ok, I've been digging through pages and pages of this long thread and have not yet discovered the answer to my issue. I'm having trouble with the legs on my tripod stands walking inward, to the point of tipping the whole rig, while getting into and getting comfortable in the hammock.

Currently, my gate hinged tripod legs are 6'-0" tall, I've tried spreading the tripod legs anywhere from 48" to 60", I've got a 10' long ridgepole hanging from the hinges and the hammock is connected at the same point as the ridgepole suspension point.

Is there a general consensus, at this point, on how tall the tripod legs should be, how far apart the tripod legs should be spread, how far below the hinges the ridgepole should hang, and how long the ridgepole can be, and anything else important that I may be missing.

I'd keep digging through the thread, but I my head hurts despite wearing a hard hat during testing. I'm also not going to put either of my kids into one of these until I get it figured out.
    If your ridgepole is connected something like this, that would be the problem. I've seen many people try to "larks head" the ridgepole to the stand. This does not provide enough of a firm grip between the rope and rail.

20160710_214806.jpg

There are various ways to resolve the issue. Use prusik knots, or add something to the rail to work as a stopper if you're using rope. If you wish to use chain instead, install eyebolts on both ends of the rail, and connect the chains to those. You can also do like I did, and use chain link gate hinges instead of the eyebolts.

20170313_110300.jpg

If you go that route, just be sure to really tighten the hinges to the rail.
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 06-19-2017 at 19:16.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    BB-RR-Trvlr-Dutch-Clark
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cloud
    Insulation
    HG 20* Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoop N Straps
    You can't have your pole touch or protrude past the outside leg
    Liviní Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    DIY variety
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I see everybody hanging their ridge poles with chain, amsteel, ropes, etc. (I'm currently using rope) I have nothing slipping, but it seems that any swaying along the ridgepole axis walks the tripod leg which is inline with the ridge inward and when a critical point is reached, one of the side tripod legs starts walking inward and the whole thing collapses. There will always be movement of some kind in the hammock, It's a simple and popular design, but with the experience I've had while experimenting, I'm surprised this issue hasn't come up more often.

• + New Posts