WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Looks good... and comfortable! Now you are ready to hang anytime, anywhere. Welcome to the club

Originally Posted by olddog
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

#1- Olddog
    #2- flashbang009
    #3- hppyfngy, with first angled ends
    #4- linuxhack
    #5- mys4sllc
    #6- samsara
    #7- letstieoneon
    #8- Cole
    #9- Fontana Horseman
    #10 & #11- olzeke and wife
    #12 & #13- CamRuns and brother
    #14- carmen2kayak
    #15- Troy64
    #16- Throkda
    #17- OldMart
    #18- Spiffguy
    #19- Aven
    #20- hppyfngy for nephew
    #21- Mundele
    #22- meanmoe
    #23- Chuck Gravy
    #24- spinkid
    #25- samsara's daughter, version 2.0
    #26- old4hats
    #27- CptAhmadKnackwurst
    #28- Fish<><
    #29- Shortbus
    #30- Clarinath
    #31- Silvertitan
    #32- NoahWhey
    #33- trhang
    #34- TheKid
    #35- Suburban
    #36- gp_griz

If you have built a TurtleDog and are not on the list please feel free to add yourself.
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie setx View Post
    hello HF
    im planning on making a stand like this any day now. my biggest concern is getting that 30* angle on the tieouts. i have a wbbb which i believe is 10 feet long. so how long does the "pole" need to be to get that. what are you using and are you getting the right angle

thanks
    I think mine is about 10.5' and my WBBB fits just fine. You could cut your poles extra long (11-12' would be much more than you'll need but would be a starting point) just to be safe and then cut them down after you dial your hammock in and see exactly how long it will need to be.

Dave

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Isn't the length of the "ridge pole" dictated by the tarp you intend to use? I would need ~12' for any of my tarps. Then, of course, the tripod would need to be taller...maybe a problem for those constrained by available space in their vehicle.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Isn't the length of the "ridge pole" dictated by the tarp you intend to use? I would need ~12' for any of my tarps. Then, of course, the tripod would need to be taller...maybe a problem for those constrained by available space in their vehicle.
    If you need to use a tarp with the stand then yes. In fact, you might need to make it a bit longer since most will be making the normal TD stand, which has the attachment to the ridgepole hanging down in the tripod so you would need a bit more to prevent your tarp from rubbing against the tripods.

If you need to use a tarp with this stand then my recommendation is to mount the pole on top of the tripods. I did a TD 2.0 post where I made a stand for my daughter and put the pole on top. gmcttr suggested a different way of keeping the pole in place by using a spade drill bit and drill a hole at the top of the tripod that will hold the pole in place. Both would work well for using a tarp.

You can also have a long pole and a short pole for when you need to use a tarp (long pole) and times that you are just hanging or need to keep it as short as possible.

Dave

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie setx View Post
    ...my biggest concern is getting that 30* angle on the tieouts. i have a wbbb which i believe is 10 feet long. so how long does the "pole" need to be to get that...
    You're forgetting that the hammock is not that long as hung. The WBBB has a 100" ridgeline and that is the overall length to be concerned with.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + DIY Sniv
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Grappler
    Images

TurtleDog Stand #33

Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Pictures or it didn't happen... have you used it yet?
    My apologies, but I have been enjoying my TurtleDog stand so much I hadn't gotten around to taking any pictures yet. Here it is:

My stand is far from the prettiest, neatest, or lightest posted here. But it was fun to build and works great. Here are the highlights:

• I built my stand from 2x4s, only because I had several sitting in my backyard that were going into recycling if I didn't use them on this project. They are heavy and seem like overkill. But they were essentially free. I imagine that at some point I will get bored and decide to replace them with 2x2s, or maybe even 1" square aluminum tubing.
    • The legs are around 6' long. I drilled 1/4" holes exactly 2' from the bottom of each leg and strung 3' lengths of mason's line between each leg. When I close the tripod, the cords drape but do not touch the ground. There is enough spread for the tripods to be sturdy, and the suspension point on the hinges is still over 5' off the ground.
    • To join the 2x4s together, I used 1/4" carriage bolts and wingnuts. They hold just fine, and if for some reason I wanted to disassemble the stands rather than simply folding them, the wingnuts make it really simple.
    • To keep the top ends of the two pivoting legs from banging into each other, I mounted them with 4" bolts running through the board in the long dimension. This works fairly well, but the joints at the top of the tripod flop around a bit under load. I will probably redo these two legs with 2" bolts running through the shorter dimension once I figure out how to space the 2x4s so that I can still spread the legs properly. Either that, or replace the legs with 2x2s.
    • Like many others, I made my suspension rail from two lengths of 1-3/8" chainlink fence top-rail. Both pieces are 6'3" when disassembled. Since one piece has a 3" swaged section at the end, the assembled pole is 12'3" long.
    • I wanted to keep my suspension as simple as possible. So I created two continuous loops from 7/64" Amsteel Blue that are 14" in circumference. I connect these to steel shackles hanging from holes in the hinges. The loops are then simply larks-headed to each end of the pole. With these relatively short loops, the poles are almost 5' off the ground. When I put the stand away in the shed, I just leave the shackles and loops attached to the tripods.
    • I space the two tripods so that the suspension loops are about 11'4" apart. This is just about the minimum distance that allows me to rig my tarp without bumping into the legs. When hanging my hammock at the optimum 30 degree sag, the hammock ridgeline ends up almost 4' off the ground, which is around 12" below the top rail. This puts the height of the bottom of the hammock at 12-15" off the ground.
    • Because my top rail extends several inches beyond the suspension loops, I ended up turning the tripods sideways so that the rail could pass through without banging into the center leg of the tripod. This works fine, but I may still experiment a bit with the rail length and the tripod spacing to see if I might prefer the more traditional arrangement of the tripods used by most of you who have built one of these stands.
    • To create connection points on the rail, I place standard aluminum end caps on each end. I permanently spliced a continuous loop of 7/64" Amsteel Blue that is 24" in circumference to the end of each end cap. I then run this loop forward and essentially half-hitch it around the rail on the other side of the loop that suspends the rail from the tripod. I also attached an Amsteel soft shackle to each loop that I use to connect the whoopie slings from my hammock to the rail. By anchoring the loop to the end of the rail, I keep it from sliding inward. And by hitching the loop around the rail right next to the point of suspension of the rail itself, I route as much of the downward pull from the hammock suspension directly to the tripod and minimize bending forces on the rail.
    • I also attach the continuous ridgeline for my tarp to the end caps at each end of the rail. The end caps are not permanently attached to the rail. They are held on by the tension of the hammock suspension and the tarp ridgeline pulling them firmly onto the end of the rail. When I put the stand away, I simply pull the caps off the rails and store them along with their loops and soft shackles on a nail in the shed.

As I said, not the prettiest stand we've seen here. But it works well, and I am particularly happy with the simplicity of my suspension system.

Taylor

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I'll add my name to the list. I built one a few weeks ago. I built three tripods. I am going to try and hang three hammocks off of it. So far only tested with one.

#37 - Sidewinder

"My apologies, but I have been enjoying my TurtleDog stand so much I hadn't gotten around to taking any pictures yet. Here it is:"

Nice work TRHang!
    I really appreciate all the dimensions you put in. Does that distance off the ground workout ok?
    It looks like, the way you have the tripods twisted a bit to allow the pole to pass, that you could put the pole on the TOP of the tripod. It would nestle in that nice V that is formed there by the tops of the 2 x 4's.
    How much more hammock height would this give? ( you can tell I want to be further from the ground )
    Pole along the top would allow you to use a longer pole (if you wanted) to allow the tarp to go beyond the tripod. I am not being critical of your setup, just thinking out loud. I joined this forum about the same time as you did and all I am doing is planning and collecting parts!
    I am working on using a telescoping one pole (on each end) design, and have not seen much data on how high you need to tie your hammock. The video's show mostly tying tree straps up about 7 feet or more. (Need too many 3' sections to get that high )
    You clearly demonstrated that tying at less than 6 feet works very well.
    Thank you.

PeterZ
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Pete you can not compare the height tied to a tree to the height tied to a stand. On the stand you can have an extremely short suspension. When tying to trees you have to adjust the height based on how far apart the trees are.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Add one more to list of TurtleDog stands. I just got mine done about 4 hours ago. A lot of first for me, first project off of HF, and first hang too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 33 of 320 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast