DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Looks good.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix UQ 20
    Suspension
    ENO Atlus Straps
    Ok I finally got all the materials together to build one of these stands!! After following the instructions Troy64's supply list and copying my stand from the pictures posted, I am almost good to hang but have come across some issues and I am hoping ya'll can help me with them:

1. After taking a nasty fall from 2 feet off the ground right on my hard hard tile floor directly on my back (ouch I'm going to hurt tomorrow), I need to figure out how to keep my end caps from slipping off of the toprail fence piece I have. I have seen some of you have drilled a hole through and placed a screw to keep it in place. Any help with what size hole to make and what kind of screw etc (sorry I'm pretty new to any kind of construction/power tool stuff).
    2. I definitely need to get another toprail bar and cut the one I have so I can make the total length of the pole longer. The length is too short now for my hammock to be comfortable. So what is the best way to join the two poles, just use the narrowed end as it is bought and fit them together? I am worried if that will hold? What is the average length you all are making your poles - what is the max safest length?
    3. What is the average distance between the legs of the stand, I'm using the limit string method. I have them 3ft apart now which looks ok but I'm not sure because I've seen others have a lot more distance between legs.
    4. The suggested shackle size was too big to fit the hinge I got, I shouldn't need to drill the size of the hole bigger on the hinge right (I didn't see this posted by anyone else) I should just need to get the next smaller size shackle right, I got 5/16" like Troy64's list stated but its too big.
    Thanks for any help ~Pimms

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
    Ok I finally got all the materials together to build one of these stands!! After following the instructions Troy64's supply list and copying my stand from the pictures posted, I am almost good to hang but have come across some issues and I am hoping ya'll can help me with them:

1. After taking a nasty fall from 2 feet off the ground right on my hard hard tile floor directly on my back (ouch I'm going to hurt tomorrow), I need to figure out how to keep my end caps from slipping off of the toprail fence piece I have. I have seen some of you have drilled a hole through and placed a screw to keep it in place. Any help with what size hole to make and what kind of screw etc (sorry I'm pretty new to any kind of construction/power tool stuff).
    ~Pimms
    Get rid of your end caps and go with something like this
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4&d=1383864118

That will be put the stress of the weight from the hammock directly below the connection point to the tripod. In turn it will not only stop your end caps from slipping but will significantly reduce the stress on your top rail.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images

2. I definitely need to get another toprail bar and cut the one I have so I can make the total length of the pole longer. The length is too short now for my hammock to be comfortable. So what is the best way to join the two poles, just use the narrowed end as it is bought and fit them together? I am worried if that will hold? What is the average length you all are making your poles - what is the max safest length?
    3. What is the average distance between the legs of the stand, I'm using the limit string method. I have them 3ft apart now which looks ok but I'm not sure because I've seen others have a lot more distance between legs.
    4. The suggested shackle size was too big to fit the hinge I got, I shouldn't need to drill the size of the hole bigger on the hinge right (I didn't see this posted by anyone else) I should just need to get the next smaller size shackle right, I got 5/16" like Troy64's list stated but its too big.
    Do item #2 first to get the desired length - the store you buy it from should cut it for you (Home depot pipe department cut mine). Yes, the small end just goes into the big end.
    Item #1 - Get a couple 1" sheet metal screws while getting the pole. After the length is established, drill a hole through the endcaps and pole - the hole should be a little smaller than the screw diameter so it is a tight fit and you have to use some force to screw into the hole. I put the hole on the bottom with the endcap in prober hanging position.
    Item#3 - 3 ft should be good. Width = stability.
    Item#4 - if you have a drill just make the hole a little bigger to fit your shackle. If not, I used a 3/16" shackle - it has a 615 Lb working load. The load will only be be 1/2 your total weight.
    I'm 160Lbs and haven't had an issue with the end caps for over a year now. That's me plus an occasional 60LB grand child abusing it (220LB load tested).
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-27-2014 at 10:58.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Duluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppie Slings

For my end caps I just put them on the end of the pipe but used some duct tape as a spacer. I'm not real happy with it so I am going to bolt them on using a 1/4" bit for the hole and a 1/4"-20 bolt and a locking nut.

I cut the pipe in half and just turned the tapered end around and slid it into the other pipe and it hold me just fine and I weigh 225lbs.

For my legs I drilled a 1/4" hole 2' from the bottom of each leg and used a 13' piece of 1.9 tech line from DIYgearsupply.com. I ran it through the holes and made it into a continuous loop. 13' gave me about 4' of spread in each leg (I came up with 13' by adding a 4' spread in each leg=12' + roughly 1" for each leg to pass through = 12' 3" + two 4" bury's = 12' 11" + about 1" of loss for the bury = 13'.

For the shackle I used the suggested size from Troy64's post I just drilled out the hole in the hinge to make it fit.

Most of what I did I got from Troy64's post I just had to make some minor tweaks that I felt was necessary to keep my fat self in the air. I have a bunch of pictures of mine that I made the other day a few post behind this one.

Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions.

-Will
    If everything around you is exploding...... its probably us

Keep Calm and Fire for Effect!

All The Way!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix UQ 20
    Suspension
    ENO Atlus Straps
    Thanks oldpappy and Will13fox, I went and purchased another top rail and cut them so each piece is 7 feet. That should work much better. I also drilled a hole in the endcaps and bar and bolted those babies on - now I should be set for testing tomorrow morning. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I have left some extra line on my limiters so I can make them longer than 3 feet between legs if needed. I'm testing outside above softer ground tomorrow. My back still hurts but I'm happy I am done with the project (almost just have to stain/paint the wood). Can't wait to be hanging in my treeless backyard.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...I have left some extra line on my limiters so I can make them longer than 3 feet between legs if needed...
    Options are good. At 3' between the legs, make sure you don't push backwards when you get in or walk the hammock back a step to get out. It will be solid when you're in it. I prefer a 4' spread on my 6' tall tripods.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Here are a few more ideas:
    1. Now that the end caps are fixed, mark an alignment arrow on each pole. Also note the 'Gorilla Tape' spacer on the small inside piece to reduce slop (It does need replace every 6 months or so). Ignore the large black band - it is a bike inter tube to seal the seam - I never used it nor is it needed.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=27438
    2) I find that by suspending the pole with a continuous loop (paracord here) you get a much better swing and the distance above ground is adjustable. I hang about a foot above ground (or my deck in this case). This is supporting 1/2 your weight at each end (the pole is taking up all the compression force) and the shackles prevent the cord from wearing so paracord works fine here.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=27438
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-28-2014 at 08:47. Reason: Image link fixed
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThundeBird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

It works, it actually works! My first DIY

Here is my stand my first DIY project. It was a journey let me tell you. Thoughts of uncertainty during the build, then doubt setting up the hammock on the finished project, and finally satisfaction while hanging there and STILL in the air. I would like to thank every one of you, without your conversations and feed back to each other I would have never done this nor know where to begin. My two little girls enjoyed being suspended, more so my 14 month old who I had to fight to get her out so the rest of the family could try it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    Here is my stand my first DIY project. It was a journey let me tell you. Thoughts of uncertainty during the build, then doubt setting up the hammock on the finished project, and finally satisfaction while hanging there and STILL in the air. I would like to thank every one of you, without your conversations and feed back to each other I would have never done this nor know where to begin. My two little girls enjoyed being suspended, more so my 14 month old who I had to fight to get her out so the rest of the family could try it out.
    I see a bunch of Turtledogs in your future.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 195 of 320 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245295 ... LastLast