Page 294 of 320 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 3191
    That is what the two guylines from the hinge will do, so I am going to do both inessence. The stake at the leg will hold it in place (hopefully also not allowing side to side movement) and the guylines will be placed behind the back leg by 4 feet or so to assist in fighting off the force to pull it inward on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If you're going to use 2 guy lines and 3 stakes, why not ditch the tripod and use a single pole??? I suggest using the 'stake boom' style stakes.

I suppose I could however I am a big guy and not sure that would hold up well (plus I already have the stands built other than switching the back leg to a 2x4). Really, I am already using the guylines for my turdledog stands anyway, except using them to stop the wind from blowing the stands over when I am not in the hammock (that has happened a few times). So other than the stake at the base of the back leg, I am not really adding anything new and since I would be losing the ridgepole, it would work out to my advantage that way (setup would be easier).

Call me a worrywort if you wish, but the one thing I have not been happy about regarding the turtle dog stands is sleeping underneath a 12 foot section of a metal pole during a lightning storm... I know most say that it would not matter and I would be safe, but eliminating the risk altogether sounds like a much sounder sleep for me in a storm if that makes sense

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    The other thing to try would be those screw-in dog stakes for big dogs... I've got one down cellar that is about 16" with a D handle and swing-loop.
    I think it was only about $5
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Images
    Baller- just a safety note here- if you're hanging over a hard surface, put something under you to cushion in case of a fall. I use a pile of old closed cell camping mats or patio chair cushions. Sooner or later most hammockers will hit the deck due to equipment failure or operator error ( in my case, it's always been operator error).

Sorry it took so long guys, finally took the stand out, me and the wife both slept in it, we've had the dog jump in and out of it with both of us in it, haven't had any bending or anything so far.

Thanks again to all for advice and plans that were shared previous to my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great outcome! I am headed to the hardware store now to try my idea out. I will post the outcome in a new thread.

The TurtleDog stand

Just made the mods to my stand. It works! I am a big guy, 265 pounds, but want to test further. I have a rather large friend coming over tonight, over 400 pounds. I am going to have him sit in it for a few minutes before making my final conclusion. Using an old beat up worthless hammock in case of failure

The TurtleDog stand

All 2x4's worked for me, but I've never seen anybody do the back leg only, with the front ones being 2x2's. It'll be interesting to see, but I could see the front two breaking since they are going to be taking horizontal and vertical forces of laying in the hammock. I'd definitely have some cushion for your bud in case it goes south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works like a charm. There is no give on the legs at all. I had my friend Todd who weighs close to 400 pounds get in it. No movement at all, no flex at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 294 of 320 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304 ... LastLast