Page 51 of 320 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    Artjrk,
    You are on to my next thought which was to lighten up the pole required. The 2x4 I originally used was positioned with the 4" width vertical. This put the stresses along the strongest plane of the beam. So I did not see much bend. But weight wasn't an issue then.
    I have been kicking around the idea of an ultra light portable stand since, until recently, it was illegal to hang in the state parks of Fl. In a few other threads we have kicked around a few ideas on crafty staking methods and vertical poles. It was discussed that the most viable option would likely included some type of rigid ridgeline to deal with some/most of the compressive forces. But nothing really has panned out that I noticed.
    I am thinking however, that some type of tensegrity setup that puts the ridgeline back into direct compression is a possibility. It might also be possible to put some suspension lines in place that pull the ridgeline down as your weight is applied to the hammock.
    Just tossing ideas out. Maybe best to start a seperate thread for the UL version of this stand.
    (and although I am an engineer, I didn't bother with the force analysis on any designs thus far. Once the designs get closer to the hairy edge of maximum load, maybe a few calcs will be in order)

While I was in Lowes getting my pvc, i took time to look at the lumber as well. I was thinking that a 1x4 in the vertical should be able to handle the side to side compression as well as prevent the vertical bowing. This would be half the weight of the 2x4 and equal to a 2x2. Thats pretty light weight. The question is how to suspend it under a tripod to keep it in the vertical position? Also what form of connecting plate would allow for it to be transported in 2 five foot long sections?

In college I made my entire bed loft out of 1x's instead of the traditional 2x4s and 4x4s. Just as strong and sturdy but half the weight.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Can't see the forest for the stands...

Forget seven virgins, i want seven hammocks. -happyfnguy

PS please don't take offence happyfnguy....you're one of my favortie posters on here.
    Last edited by Fish<><; 09-15-2012 at 06:28.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Artjrk,
    The only concern I might have with using 1x's is keeping it from bowing horizontally over a long span. I realize that the majority of the force will want to bow the beam up, but once things get a little off plane when swinging or getting in or out of the hammock, thin beams can get a mind of their own. Certainly worth a try though. Maybe over something soft.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have seen a few structures that use pre-stressed PVC poles in slight arcs as supports. I'll sketch up a little something and hit the Depot later to see what available supplies exist. I'm picturing maybe 2 PVC arcs that act like a suspension bridge and take some of the load while you are in the hammock. Probably connect to it will a few straps or even a complete material sleeve. Might combine them into a canopy kind of thing for outdoor rain fly.

This has started to go off topic. I will start another thread to continue this part of the discussion. Unless anyone else feels this should continue here.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    PS please don't take offence happyfnguy....you're one of my favortie posters on here.
    None taken.

For this outdoor version, I just used a section of 1" EMT for the ridge pole. Shoved a hunk of treated lumber in the ends and drilled through to attach a 5/16" eye bolt and hung with an S hook and an amsteel dog bone. Works great and easy and quick to take apart.

Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVassello View Post
    Artjrk,
    The only concern I might have with using 1x's is keeping it from bowing horizontally over a long span. I realize that the majority of the force will want to bow the beam up, but once things get a little off plane when swinging or getting in or out of the hammock, thin beams can get a mind of their own. Certainly worth a try though. Maybe over something soft.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have seen a few structures that use pre-stressed PVC poles in slight arcs as supports. I'll sketch up a little something and hit the Depot later to see what available supplies exist. I'm picturing maybe 2 PVC arcs that act like a suspension bridge and take some of the load while you are in the hammock. Probably connect to it will a few straps or even a complete material sleeve. Might combine them into a canopy kind of thing for outdoor rain fly.

This has started to go off topic. I will start another thread to continue this part of the discussion. Unless anyone else feels this should continue here.
    Thin beams can indeed get a mind of their own. How about putting together a "T" or an "I" beam from thin material? A glued and screwed 1x3 "T" beam would be pretty strong and light. I think...

Not sure where you're going with the PVC, but let us know what you come up with!

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    None taken.

For this outdoor version, I just used a section of 1" EMT for the ridge pole. Shoved a hunk of treated lumber in the ends and drilled through to attach a 5/16" eye bolt and hung with an S hook and an amsteel dog bone. Works great and easy and quick to take apart.

Randy, the EMT, using 10' portion only? Or did you go longer?
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Randy, the EMT, using 10' portion only? Or did you go longer?
    Yes Rob, it's just a 10' I had left over from something or other. They don't have longer at my Big Box stores. Might pick up something from a real lumber yard sometime.

With a standard hammock, this one's a tablecloth, and 14" dog bones, it fits fine for me. Longer would be better though...

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Like that eyebolt/ s hook suspension! Did you notice any difference in the flex on the toprail using the EMT?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I use 1" emt for my top rail 2-6' sections coupling holding them together with a short piece of 3/4" inside to stiffen everything up. Very little flex with 230# in hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 51 of 320 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast