TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm hoping to put together a "T-Dawg" soon, but theres a bit of a materials issue down here.
    It seems no-one uses the swaged pipe, and I'm scratching for alternatives.
    I can easily get a 4.2 mtr. length of gal pipe, which I could leave in one pece just for home, or make up a less than ideal joiner.
    An option I'm looking at today, is a telescopic pool cleaning pole similar to this one. I wouldnt trust the locking cam and am thinking of drilling a 1/8 inch hole through at my set lengths to pin it with a gal bolt or gal nail to enhance the lock.

I'm after your opinions on whether you think the pool pole will work...in my hand at the store it felt fairly substantial, but I still don't have any experience to appreciate the forces at work here.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    I'm hoping to put together a "T-Dawg" soon, but theres a bit of a materials issue down here.
    It seems no-one uses the swaged pipe, and I'm scratching for alternatives.
    I can easily get a 4.2 mtr. length of gal pipe, which I could leave in one pece just for home, or make up a less than ideal joiner.
    An option I'm looking at today, is a telescopic pool cleaning pole similar to this one. I wouldnt trust the locking cam and am thinking of drilling a 1/8 inch hole through at my set lengths to pin it with a gal bolt or gal nail to enhance the lock.

I'm after your opinions on whether you think the pool pole will work...in my hand at the store it felt fairly substantial, but I still don't have any experience to appreciate the forces at work here.
    It's kind of difficult to say whether it will work or not from this far away but I do have some advice.
    • Many people have used a pole that is less substantial and it has failed (while some have succeeded). There is a certain amount that might have to do with the person's weight, some that has to do with their stand configuration (see below), and some that is the metal/pole thickness and its strength
    • Be very careful to get the hang point of your hammock as close to directly under the hang point of the pole (gmcttr mentions it frequently and hppyfngy has several posts showing his system and describes why it is important... it is very important). This will minimize the amount of flexing that the pole undergoes and will make most of the force involved be strictly compression
    • You will probably have some problems with your joint in the middle but that is just a guess on my part. I think hppyfngy and gmcttr have more experience and advice for you on that part (they will probably chime in)
    • When you test the system put some padding under you and maybe something over you to protect from broken pipes and falling stands

I think the best advice comes from hppyfngy (on the previous page) and from gmcttr if you have read through much of this thread. They tirelessly warn about making sure that the suspension point of the pole (from the tripod) is as close to inline with the suspension point of your hammock (from the pole) so that the pole only has compressive forces acting on it... and test it and be ready for a potential collapse if you use different materials or methods from the basic TD stand.

Having said that, I am using my big TD 2.0 stand made from 2x4s with a 14 foot toprail to hang my big 13 foot long (with added mini-spreader bars) Brazilian tablecloth hammock and I swing my hammock to rock myself to sleep. It's built like a tank though and has the hppyfngy angled cuts but with a much wider stance than his system and it also has spread limiting rope on the legs. The pole also rests on top of the tripod instead of being suspended below the tripod.

Good luck!

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    I won't repeat everything samsara said but he's right about all that stuff.

I don't know about the pool pole. Sounds pretty iffy to me.

Tubes are strong because they're... well... tubular. Just like it's hard to crush an egg, it's hard to crush a tube because it's supported all the way around. But kink it and it will bend much more easily. Same thing applies, (to a point,) when you put a hole in it. You're creating weak points.

If you try it I wouldn't put any larger hole in it than you need to. I would think an 8 penny nail would be plenty big enough. Also the sections have to insert to some depth, and it's not just an inch. How much the magical depth is depends on the strength of the material and the fit, so I can't really answer that. No matter how good you get the suspension directly under the hang points there is still some upward stress on the pole, especially towards the middle and more so the longer it is. And of course the weight of the hanger has to be a factor.

A solid length of pipe can be pretty small. I've used 1" conduit. A telescoping piece might have to be pretty substantial.

Get that video camera set up and go for it!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yep...samsara got it right.

I don't have any experience with a pool cleaning pole but it may work for a 10' ridgepole.

Just to throw out some ideas for pole sources...small straight trees/bamboo, TV/ham radio antenna masts, etc.

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the prudent advice. I was at the point of analysis paralysis.
    I think I'll make a stand with a one piece 4.2 mtr ( to fit my tarp) gal pole first. That way I'll know I have the basics right.
    Have to take another look at the pool pole. Its inner sleeve is full length of the outer, which is good, but I need to determine if the inner sleeve OD is snug with the outer sleeve ID, or whether they've used nylon or plastic between tubes.
    If it's a snug fir, I'm thinking cut the inner in half, and then use dowell or some other tube as a spacer between the two inner pieces. ne spacer to create a 3.3 mtr pole, for the back deck etc. and another to create a 4.2 mtr pole when I'll need my tarp.....
    to be continued...

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    real nice one i like it

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    i like ithttp://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45041&stc=1&d=13585648 51
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I didn't take any pics when it happened... But my stand flipped tonight... We had a small get together at the house s'mores, hot dogs, over the fire kind of thing... I had the hammock and stand set up and the kids were taking turns... Each one had had a turn and when a new one would get in I would show them how to get in... One of my favorite little knot heads showed up later than the rest and I went through the spiel about getting in... I turned around and heard "whoa whoa whoa" and the pinging of galvanized pipe... I had left out the part about don't swing...

The stand survived, he was in hurt, even saved most of the water in his cup... No harm no foul... Shamu and the hammock are hanging up in the back room with a fan on to dry out...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    Finally built a stand and tested it out last night in Joshua Tree National Park. Set up was a little bit of a pain with the rocks everywhere and doing it in the dark, but it worked great once up. Temps got down to 25 degrees (around 16 with windchill) though and I had been too lazy to set up my tarp...brrrrrrrrrrrr! Thanks to hppyfngy for putting up with all my questions about the build!

Not to thread hijack, but that picture just takes my breath away!! Should be on a post card.

I got it as my wallpaper Great Picture! Hope nobody minds

Another thought I had was.... why is that tent there in a hangin' camp??

Inquiring minds need to know

Peter
    PoleHangin everywhere

• + New Posts
  • Page 99 of 320 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast