Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel Siabod View Post
    Did Olddog ever do a tutorial on how to build one of these?
    Not that I'm aware of but you can look at the monster sized thread (that is still active) that started it all. If you want to read it through then get comfortable because it is loooooooong but worth the read.

The beauty of the design is that it really is very simple and quick to put together. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish (I still have a few tweaks that I want to make but it works fine). If you aren't familiar with a gate hinge here is an example

You take your boards and attach one with two bolts onto the long/skinny part of the hinge. You then attach the other two boards using one bolt on the outer holes of the other side of the hinge so that those legs can be spread out or pushed together for storage/transport. On one of the holes in between where you attached the two legs you attach your shackle or whatever you use. Then you attach a rope to that for holding up the pipe. Attach your hammock to the pipe (outside of where you attached the support rope) and you are good. Also, you need to have some sort of spread limiting in place for the legs. I used some string on the legs to keep them from flopping apart.

That's all there is to it.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Beautiful in its simplicity.

I think even I could manage to make one.

Many thanks to you and Olddog.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel Siabod View Post
    Beautiful in its simplicity.

I think even I could manage to make one.

Many thanks to you and Olddog.
    And turtlelady for coming up with the original design and doing the occasionally painful (*snap* *thump* *ouch!* ) research.

Dave

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I really like the way you used the gate hinge as a way to tie it all together. Makes folding it up a breeze, I'd say. Looks really good!

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Samara,

Welcome to the club. You make me smile with the pride of a Grandma! I love the name you chose for your stand, more so having recently met Olddog at a FL hike and hang. What a nice group of hangers! Thank you for connecting the two threads and your expressions of appreciation.

Turtlelady

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    I really like the way you used the gate hinge as a way to tie it all together. Makes folding it up a breeze, I'd say. Looks really good!
    I would like to take credit for it but using the 2x2's and the hinge is the part that olddog contributed. It's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    Samara,

Welcome to the club. You make me smile with the pride of a Grandma! I love the name you chose for your stand, more so having recently met Olddog at a FL hike and hang. What a nice group of hangers! Thank you for connecting the two threads and your expressions of appreciation.

Turtlelady
    I'm sorry that I wasn't able to attend that hike since I was working that weekend. You will have to come down later this year for a hang on the forest where I live/work. There will be one or two that I will do in the fall/winter and then late February will be the "Sherpa hang" which involves a little bit of hiking (a couple of miles plus an unloaded fun hike on Saturday) and dutch ovens, good food, campfire, friends having a great weekend. Florida is blessed with a great group of hangers!

I took a little nap in it this morning and it worked like a dream. I'm adding two last pictures to this thread and then I'm done taking pictures of my baby

Porch mode:

And ready for their next adventure with hiking poles for perspective. You can see in the tripod on the right that the pole fits perfectly inside for an even more compact packing of the rig.

Next up... sewing a bag to carry it in

Dave

Hammock
    Bliss, Eagles Nest, DIY made.$$
    Tarp
    DIY made
    Insulation
    DIY System
    Suspension
    DIY straps
    Images
    Wow, I like this stand as a portable one. What knots did you use to tie up the pipe?
    M.Whitmore

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matmore74 View Post
    Wow, I like this stand as a portable one. What knots did you use to tie up the pipe?
    Without knowing any better option I'm going with a prussik (I'm going to make a new one with some 1/8th amsteel when I get around to it). I looped my biner into the outer most loop of the prussik but I'm going to see if there is a better solution.

Dave

Can you describe how you connect the hammock suspension. I made a stand exactly like yours last weekend. when I attach it starts to pull the tripods in.. Any suggestion?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Nicely done samsara. I'm sure that you're going to enjoy. Some additional points and credits:
    1. hpyfngy made his with angled ends that butt togeather in the open position, if I remember correctly he was trying his without spread limiters because of this.
    2. He also suggest rubber caps on the legs if using on tile or hardwood floors.
    3. My hammock connections to the toprail are the end caps w/loop eyes. I did screw the caps to the rail to keep them in place as they are a loose fit. Not sure what the caps are called but they are in with the chain link fence connections.
    4. The toprail to hinge connection is a continuous loop of 1/8" amsteel larksheaded around the toprail and connected to the hinge clip.

Two pics of the toprail to hinge connection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 320 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast