DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    The physics is simple. The force applied inward is transferred to the pipe and not the tripods. The force applied to the tripod is only down at that point. Without the pipe my 200 lbs will pull the tripods on top of me regardless of the orientation of the legs.
    If you want a lighter stand there are some monopod stands out there. I built one that anchored a monopod on each side with two guy lines for each. Works good if the ground isn't too soft.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    The physics is simple. The force applied inward is transferred to the pipe and not the tripods. The force applied to the tripod is only down at that point. Without the pipe my 200 lbs will pull the tripods on top of me regardless of the orientation of the legs.
    If you want a lighter stand there are some monopod stands out there. I built one that anchored a monopod on each side with two guy lines for each. Works good if the ground isn't too soft.
    Yeah....I had a chance to draw out the diagrams last night. There is really no way to reduce the inward vector of the force (enough) on the tripods without the beam between them. Each idea that I came up with was flawed. Oh well, doesn't hurt to try.

Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    My SO decided to make a TD stand for me last year for my birthday. It's a big deal since he's not the handy sort. However he still makes me wear a bike helmet every time I try to hang from it so it's not as relaxing as it should be.

For uneven ground, I prefer the TL stand with the lashing. I guess I just have more confidence in my lashing abilities rather than my SO's building abilities.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Woopies & MSH
    I really needed a stand for Boy Scout summer camp. We will be in a big field with no trees in sight.

I built my set this weekend and got the hammock set up real nicely after only tipping over once. I am unsure the best way to do my tarp though. I set it up under the ridge pole but I don't like how low it is. Has anyone put their tarp over the pole? I am a little worried about the pole scratching the tarp or it getting caught at the junction point. Has anyone noticed anything like that? Also, are people stacking the tripods down to avoid a flying hammock?

Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Truescotsman View Post
    I really needed a stand for Boy Scout summer camp. We will be in a big field with no trees in sight.

I built my set this weekend and got the hammock set up real nicely after only tipping over once. I am unsure the best way to do my tarp though. I set it up under the ridge pole but I don't like how low it is. Has anyone put their tarp over the pole? I am a little worried about the pole scratching the tarp or it getting caught at the junction point. Has anyone noticed anything like that? Also, are people stacking the tripods down to avoid a flying hammock?
    I tie my hammock up to avoid the kite effect. If you have a snakeskin or just tie strategically so there are no pockets that will balloon out and catch the wind. Depending on how complicated your setup is and how much helping out with the group, you could just leave the stand up and just pull out your hammock before bed.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Moved into a new house last Friday was first night. No hooks in the wall? Turtledog to the rescue. My daughter and two grandkids came over for mothers day. Where do the kids hang out to play?
    10491286_10207024848526276_6032147113475827256_n.jpg

Moved plants and pots over from new house today, put on a fancy thermostat AND accessed the Ultimate Hang App on my phone, new hooks are in and I'm headed into the hammock in 5. But 3 nights in the Turtledog, most appreciated BEST addition to my hammock since the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Ahhhhh, another successful night. Woke up to the alarm this morning and noticed the room was the wrong color. Nice thing about the hammock, doesn't matter where the hammock is, the sleep is the same.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Ahhhhh, another successful night. Woke up to the alarm this morning and noticed the room was the wrong color. Nice thing about the hammock, doesn't matter where the hammock is, the sleep is the same.
    I will agree. The stand is a must for any hammock lover.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Well, after reading this thread I went out yesterday and bought the materials to build a stand for myself. It cost around $30 and took about 90 minutes to build. Slept outside in the hammock last night to test it out and it worked like a charm. Of course, now the kids think they have a new toy

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post
    Well, after reading this thread I went out yesterday and bought the materials to build a stand for myself. It cost around $30 and took about 90 minutes to build. Slept outside in the hammock last night to test it out and it worked like a charm. Of course, now the kids think they have a new toy
    Nice report. Happy to hear you had fast success. Did you go with 2x2s, or did you rip 2x4s?

The TDS sure is a great project and perfect solution to the treeless backyard.

Happy hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 248 of 320 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250258298 ... LastLast