Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    Thanks, that helped a great deal. Just one more marine application transitioning to the hammocking world. I am assuming you reinforced where the bolts went through and on the ends of the poles. Great idea. Theoretically you could make the poles in two sections with a joint with dowels so that they could be taken apart making them more portable. I guess that I need to get my table saw warmed up. The 22.5 degree angles could also be formed on a router table or shaper, which would probably give smoother surfaces. I also wonder about using 1 quarter inch marine grade plywood for the strips.
    You could also use the same methods for building the ridge pole. Something to try.

Don't try the ridge pole. [ don't ask ] I'll tell you. I tried one. Two 7ft sections with a 3ft slip joint in the center. I put a dowel 1 1/2 ft into one end, the male portion, and fixed it in place. The other end was the receiver. The dowel inserted into the pole and there was a 1 1/2 ft sleeve attached which went over the male end. So, in reality, I had a double walled pole with a solid 3 foot dowel inside it.

When I tried to hang, the set up was the same as I am using with the metal pole. Lines from the hinges and the hammock lines placed outside the ridge pole lines. The only good thing I can say about the experiment is, thankfully the cedar pole was light and when it broke and conked me it didn't hurt. It broke at the end of the sleeve.

Conclusion; the wooden ridge pole is a bad idea.

I am new to this sight so I felt required to make one of the turtle dog stands. Mine was just the basic model I need to make a trip to Lowes tomorrow for the top rail and figure out how to attach everything, just checking for ideas this morning. I will try and post pictures when I am done. I need to keep parts length to 5'9' so it will fit in the truck bed. I am all ready planning to make another.

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by leupy View Post
    Mine was just the basic model I need to make a trip to Lowes tomorrow for the top rail and figure out how to attach everything, just checking for ideas this morning. I need to keep parts length to 5'9' so it will fit in the truck bed.
    leupy, here's a simple attachment idea pictured below. Have fun!

Use the hammock hang calculator to determine your measurements for hammock attachment point height and distance apart (i.e. attachment point on the top rail).

For the one pictured, I ended up making a loop with some high pound test, weather resistant braided polyester rope from the local Fleet Farm. Tied a prusik knot around the top rail and hung that from the gate hinge with a locking chain link (high enough weight rating to hold me, but small enough to fit the gate hinge hole without reaming).

Continuous loop from the hammock simply goes up and around the end of the top rail and the prusik holds it in place. Friction keeps the prusik from sliding on the rail. Been hanging this way for months without any issues.

Benefits: effective, easy, cheap, and minimal hardware.

And if you're packing it up to put in the back of a truck, you don't even have to detach the ridgepole with this flexible attachment method. The pole simply nests between the two tripod legs.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have to ask if one could just put a tarp over the top rail and stake it down without having to stake down the sides that would normally be around trees?

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Finally add me to the list! No pics (it looks like most others) but my 9 year old used it the other night with his HH Cub. I was using our only two trees nearby.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CamRuns View Post
    I have to ask if one could just put a tarp over the top rail and stake it down without having to stake down the sides that would normally be around trees?
    Sure. It may be a little tricky depending on tarp size and shape. The pole will substitute for the tarp's ridgeline; center the tarp on the pole and stake it out evenly on the sides - should work fine.

Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Suspension
    SlapStrapPRO
    What is the ridge pole for? Could this be done without it? hanging the hammock from where i see the ridge pole being hung? Just curious on how that would work.

Rosie

Hammock
    Currently B Grylls Hammock with Net
    Without the ridge pole, your weight would pull the tripods off balance and cause them to topple over to the center.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth
    Suspension
    Amsteel loops
    Rosie -- First of all, WELCOME to the group!!!! As 'edwilcox' put it, the ridgepole is what is keeping the tripods separate. The force on the tripods without the ridgepole, would casue them to collapse on the hammock & you). I you haven't yet, go read all the posts in this thread (I know, this makes 2230 of them), but the whole system is well explained.

Again, welcome & enjoy your stands..... Grizhicks

• + New Posts
  • Page 223 of 320 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273 ... LastLast