Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i ended up getting the cedar 2x2s which were almost double the cost of the others, I think they were pine. Only way I could find ones that were straight and not full of knots. upped the cost of the project by 12-15 bucks

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    i ended up getting the cedar 2x2s which were almost double the cost of the others, I think they were pine. Only way I could find ones that were straight and not full of knots. upped the cost of the project by 12-15 bucks
    where did you get the cedar 2x2's??? cant find here in this part of ga i live
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I live in MO. They were at home depot, just on the twisted, knotty remnants of the "normal" wood 2x2s. they were at least straight...er

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    yeah, I bought clear cedar 2x2s for the wife's. They were in Lowe's, right next to the pine 2x2s.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    I joined the TurtleDog Stand Club last week. I am a very happy camper. I spend my work week hanging in my brother's backyard so I don't have to commute or sleep on his couch. The stand is a joy to use. I'll need to get it painted up and take pictures.

Thanks to all the designers and tweekers. Its a great stand.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMart View Post
    I made one today! Works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    I joined the TurtleDog Stand Club last week. I am a very happy camper. I spend my work week hanging in my brother's backyard so I don't have to commute or sleep on his couch. The stand is a joy to use. I'll need to get it painted up and take pictures.

Thanks to all the designers and tweekers. Its a great stand.

More Pictures Please!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Wow guys - I just finished reading this thread after reading the TurtleLady thread.

I just ordered my WBBB 1.7 DL, and I must say, this looks like my next project! I'm totally new to hanging (borrowed a friend's ENO DN last week and now here I am!).

The house we just purchased only has two large pin oaks in the yard, both about 3-4ft diameter and about 25 feet apart (just eyeballing it). I was a little disappointed that they are almost double the optimal distance apart, but this looks like the perfect solution. Also, great idea for hanging indoors without having to put hooks in the walls!

I'm 300#, slowly but surely shedding the pounds. What imporovements, if any, would you guys recommend for stands for my weight?

Can anyone give me some measurements for the angles you cut? The length of the cut from point to point should be enough (not the hypotenuse, but the adjacent side). I'm guessing something like 5 or 6 inches for the pivoting legs, and a little less on the hinged leg?

--------/|<from this point
    -------/-|
    ------/--|
    -----/---|
    ----|----|<to this point
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    In my stand, as I'm only #180, I figured to get away with angling the tops of the tripod legs in order to avoid using the cordage spread limiter. I also have my uprights a little more vertical than some. I think this helps keep the legs from trying to spread although it's a balancing act as it could potentially make it more tippy, but I've had absolutely no problem with mine. I also added rubber feet. That helps from sliding, spreading and from damaging the floor.

As I just built a second one for my nephew, I recall some of the particulars. I made the front pair of legs for my tripods 72" tall, gave them a 1/4" blunt tip and then angled them at 15*. This was to accommodate my desired width of 38" and to go with the hinges I had. (same hinges everyone is using, a 4" tee hinge from HD)

The "third leg" of each tripod is cut to 70" and then angled at approximately 25*. I'm afraid all of these measurements are approximate though as I really just did it so everything would line up and the holes in the uprights would be centered on the wood. But they are very close to what I ended up with.

So if that makes sense, after cutting the length, I then came in 1/4 inch and then angled down. (so I wouldn't have a fragile tip.) Like this:

I made two like the left one and four like the right one. Left is over 1/4" and down 2.5", right is over 1/4" and down 4.5".

I'm sorry this isn't more specific, but you'll have to adapt with whatever hardware and lumber you can find. BTW, my brother in law weighs about #280 and it held him no problem, although he didn't sleep in it. I think if I do another one, I'll have to make an actual pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by dixoncreations View Post
    Wow guys - I just finished reading this thread after reading the TurtleLady thread.

I just ordered my WBBB 1.7 DL, and I must say, this looks like my next project! I'm totally new to hanging (borrowed a friend's ENO DN last week and now here I am!).

The house we just purchased only has two large pin oaks in the yard, both about 3-4ft diameter and about 25 feet apart (just eyeballing it). I was a little disappointed that they are almost double the optimal distance apart, but this looks like the perfect solution. Also, great idea for hanging indoors without having to put hooks in the walls!

I'm 300#, slowly but surely shedding the pounds. What imporovements, if any, would you guys recommend for stands for my weight?

Can anyone give me some measurements for the angles you cut? The length of the cut from point to point should be enough (not the hypotenuse, but the adjacent side). I'm guessing something like 5 or 6 inches for the pivoting legs, and a little less on the hinged leg?

--------/|<from this point
    -------/-|
    ------/--|
    -----/---|
    ----|----|<to this point
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    ----|----|
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    In my stand, as I'm only #180, I figured to get away with angling the tops of the tripod legs in order to avoid using the cordage spread limiter. I also have my uprights a little more vertical than some. I think this helps keep the legs from trying to spread although it's a balancing act as it could potentially make it more tippy, but I've had absolutely no problem with mine. I also added rubber feet. That helps from sliding, spreading and from damaging the floor.

As I just built a second one for my nephew, I recall some of the particulars. I made the front pair of legs for my tripods 72" tall, gave them a 1/4" blunt tip and then angled them at 15*. This was to accommodate my desired width of 38" and to go with the hinges I had. (same hinges everyone is using, a 4" tee hinge from HD)

The "third leg" of each tripod is cut to 70" and then angled at approximately 25*. I'm afraid all of these measurements are approximate though as I really just did it so everything would line up and the holes in the uprights would be centered on the wood. But they are very close to what I ended up with.

So if that makes sense, after cutting the length, I then came in 1/4 inch and then angled down. (so I wouldn't have a fragile tip.) Like this:

I made two like the left one and four like the right one. Left is over 1/4" and down 2.5", right is over 1/4" and down 4.5".

I'm sorry this isn't more specific, but you'll have to adapt with whatever hardware and lumber you can find. BTW, my brother in law weighs about #280 and it held him no problem, although he didn't sleep in it. I think if I do another one, I'll have to make an actual pattern!
    Thanks for all that info.

How tall are your tripods when set up? Am I correct that they are a bit narrower spread than most? I think that will be good for me because the more vertical they are the more weight they support. Careful not to go too far though, to avoid tipping.

I like the idea of angling the ends to avoid needing the spread limiter, not to mention it simply looks cleaner.

Great point about leaving 1/4" ... Wouldn't have thought of that until afterward.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 320 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast