WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    I'd be interested in your findings.. the aluminum poles in the other thread work great but have to be lashed, I want the mechanical hinge and the abilty to take it down to fit in my trunk.
    I'm curious. Why do you think the lashed system prevents you from "taking it down to fit in your trunk"?

You lash them once and never remove the lashing to pack it up. The lashing even lets that section fold flatter than a hinge does....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...&postcount=203

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVwanderer View Post
    Has anyone tried using 1" EMT conduit with 1" dia. wood dowels to make the legs of a turtleDog stand? 1" EMT has an inner diameter of 1.049" making a 1" wood dowel good for an inner sleeve/plug. I've been thinking of giving it a try. I'm thinking of making two piece legs and a four piece crossbar so that the overall length disassembled of less than 4'. I've looked at using 2x2 wood but I can't find a single straight 8' 2x2 much less six of them. Also sleeving a 2x2 is not exactly easy. I think it would be plenty strong enough although probably heavier than wood. Any experience out there?
    I believe all TDS builders have ran thru ideas to reduce the overall size of packed stands. I know that I have. As far as I know your idea hasn't been attempted yet! But if you try it do so with the expectation that it may fail and take precautions to protect yourself. If it works it will probably be the next reiteration of the TDS. If it doesn't work it will be the next step toward the ultimate TDS. We're all in this togeather.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

The TurtleDog stand

Search for "turtlelady bamboo stand" it uses round poles. Several have tried variations to make it more compactable and have used Electrical conduit.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

EMT conduit experiences

Wvwanderer, and others:

Today I have posted my experiences with conduit and wood dowel connectors in the Turtlelady Bamboo Stand thread, as your questions are related to a lashed stand instead of a hinged stand. BTW, as I typed that response, I realized that my first tripod stand would today be more properly be called a Turtledog stand! even though it was totally made of metal. Life in the Hammock Forum lanes is grand!

Hang happy and safe,
    Turtlelady

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Add me to the list of TDS makers - completed my set up over the weekend. Must say, it takes a little getting used to setting up the stands and pole. These are the tweaks/tips I learned from the experience:

• Lightly sand the 2x2s as your amsteel will catch on any splinter
    • Instead of bolts through the top rail, I drilled a small hole 9/32 and used cotter pins. The cotter pins hold the end caps, and be interchanged in the middle as well to connect and hold the two pieces together.
    • I bought two rails and cut them at 80" therefore, I have a 10'3" pole, and a ~14" length for use with my Guide Gear 12x12. I like the lay of the 14'.
    • Buy fender washers, the standard washers are flimsy

Hope that helps, and thanks to everyone for their tips.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Add me to the list too! I put mine together this weekend as well. My angles were n't all that clean but it works. The Ace down the road didn't have true 2x2s just 2x4s ripped down so there is a rough side. I'll prob make another at some point just to work out the kinks from my first one. Things I'll do differently are, use beefier hinges, true 2x2s, and make cleaner angle cuts. I like the idea of getting two top rails to get a longer pole. Here are a few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Originally Posted by olddog
    The question was posed by old4hats about the number of turtledog stands that had been built. Went back and reviewed a few threads, the Turtlelady stand, the TurtleDog stand and a thread by domromer. Here is what I was able to find and assume that there may be others.

Page #1. Ends at post #723
    Page #2
    #101 - turtleburger
    #102 - JakobW
    #103 - berksound
    #104 - HangDenAround
    #105 - civetta62
    #106 - LEAGLE
    #107 - joeybravo13
    #108 - JohnSawyer
    #109 - JaxHiker
    #110 - delphyves, the first from France!
    #111 & 112 - Rightside
    #113 - tato
    #114 - Randy
    #115 - Mag
    #116 - Aardvark
    #117 - Brute1100
    #118 - ptsal
    #119 - Bankheadboy
    #120 - old4hats' second
    #121 - UncleClark
    #122 & 123 - hppyfngy, the Master TD maker!
    #124 - Humpback
    #125 - jima59
    #126 - 100MileBill
    #127 - WV
    #128 - rcracin24
    #129 - NWOHanger
    #130 - doogie
    #131 - WhiteHillReptile
    #132 - catalyst
    #133 - Lupus
    #134 - bowl-maker
    #135 - ewhammock
    #136 - Privateer
    #137 - Settle
    #138 - obmit
    #139 - Jazilla
    #140 - kk4df
    #141 - gothmog
    #142 - Pj1008
    #143 - the2nddeal
    #144 - samjaynes
    #145 - HamMike
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    One TurtleDog stand from Veto 65.
    The wood in this area is not very good even on a good day. One 8' 4x4 post of clear ceader was over $65.00. So I used 3/4" plywood and glued 3-2 1/4" strips together. OK next time I'm going to use thinner strips and only glue two together.

After that, assembly only took one day. I didn't change the angle of the hinged end. I did cut the feet end to contour with the floor.

Both of the tripods are heavy to say the least but now I can wait for a sale at H. D. or Lowes for plywood.

I attached the eye bolt 90° out but have corrected it.
    IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I'm curious. Why do you think the lashed system prevents you from "taking it down to fit in your trunk"?

You lash them once and never remove the lashing to pack it up. The lashing even lets that section fold flatter than a hinge does....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...&postcount=203
    I should have elaborated. I want the poles to take down and I like the mechanical aspect vs rope. I need 4 ft poles to fit in the trunk. Lashing or not, they have to be 4 ft.

Now this is a great idea from Artjrk.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Made my turtledog stand today with PT 2x2's. I followed hpyfngy's instructions and it went well. I used T-nuts, but I think assembly would have been easier with washers and nyloc nuts. Mine held me up while I took a nap. Thanks, all, for a great project.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 113 of 320 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast