Page 264 of 320 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 3191
    Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Those 2x2's were treated lumber. Went through the whole stack & all had knots of varying sizes. Next I'll look at ripping larger dimension lumber to get something knot-free...or as close to knot-free as I can get.
    I have had good luck with 1" conduit.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I have had good luck with 1" conduit.
    Yeah...I've been thinking about that. If I decide to go that route I may end up getting the kit from TATO to use with 1" EMT conduit. Not worried about weight as this will be for car-camping only or throwing on top of my fishing kayak for some beach camping.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    Well, I finally had a chance to get for an overnighter to testy out some gear. Here is a shot of my DIY hammock with integrated bug net and my TurtleDog stand.

Once I get my UQ hung I will post a pic of it with that too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyrockets View Post
    Lots of Pages to go through! Wonder if anyone's done a side by side hang somehow. My Son and I hang side by side! Well . . . time to start at 263 and go back . . . slowly. hahaha.
    I made two sets, have set them up side by side under one tarp with the wife and set them up in a square with all four of us hanging under individual tarps.

Edit: I have two sets of conduit stands, not wood.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Those 2x2's were treated lumber. Went through the whole stack & all had knots of varying sizes. Next I'll look at ripping larger dimension lumber to get something knot-free...or as close to knot-free as I can get.
    Try going to a local sawmill. You can actually find 2 x 2's that measure 2 x 2. You can also get lumber of different hardwood wood types, such as good quality poplar, maple, cherry, oak. The smaller sawmills usually really good quality lumber at cheaper prices. You would need to see if they have some that has been drying for a while to avoid shrinkage and warping.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, so I read like the first 90 something pages, then skipped around...I am off to do this soon...probably this weekend, as I have a family campout planned with some friends at a buddy's property in an area without trees...they are all laughing now "oh no trees for your silly hammock here"...ahh but then I show up with not only my silly hammock, but a "silly" DIY hammock stand.

Apparently I enjoy being mocked by my ground dwelling friends

I also have pledged for the TATO portable stand that is on kickstarter, I want it for kayak camping...again, so I can hang along with tent folks as it goes on those trips.

I will report back soon...I have a WB XLC, so I think I will start with 14 foot pole and go from there....I saw a photo in this thread of an XLC with a 14 footer...looked like maybe a 13 may work, but easier to cut down once I figure things out...

Thanks to all! Hopefully I can manage this

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Ropes ATM
    Some of the stands I have seen seem to put you hanging super low to the ground.

What would be the advantage of using 6 ft vs. 8ft legs on the stand?

What is a good ridgepole length to fit a 11 foot hammock? Currently I am using a Hennessy but was thinking about switching to a DutchWareGear
    My thoughts are 7 foot legs and a 12' ridgepole. thoughts?

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by SCGobbler View Post
    Some of the stands I have seen seem to put you hanging super low to the ground.

What would be the advantage of using 6 ft vs. 8ft legs on the stand?

What is a good ridgepole length to fit a 11 foot hammock? Currently I am using a Hennessy but was thinking about switching to a DutchWareGear
    My thoughts are 7 foot legs and a 12' ridgepole. thoughts?
    I use 6.5 ft. Legs simply because they fit perfectly in the back of my truck bed. 7' should also work. I'd say a 12' ridge pole is about the bare minimum you can get away with for a 30° hang angle and an 11' hammock based on my use of my 11' Dutch PolyD.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    IMHO, and mine isn't finished yet, a major determining factor for many builders is the manner in which the system has to be transported

the units w/ one piece tri-pod legs necessitate the use of an SUV or larger vehicle

the same is true for the ridge pole being commonly made from 10'± sections, cut in 1/2

folks using the 4' army antenna mast sections have the luxury you are seeking

2-4' sections will provide the 8' legs you are seeking and 4-4' sections provide a 16' ridge pole

though the bundle would be greater in girth it would be short enough to be hauled in most any 4-wheel'd conveyance

the BTW is that mine is being constructed for use on barrier islands & sand beaches and will be transported in a 16' sailboat(weight & pack size are quite important) for extended cruising/camping along the ICW in Texas where "trees" are few & far between

i will be interested in the comments of others

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Made mine - used 7 feet for legs - left pole at 14 feet - probably will chop it down some

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 264 of 320 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314 ... LastLast