Hammock
    11' Argon gathered end
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    tmp_4591-10641264_10154691442990192_9176304230571826565_n271827690.jpegI hastily built this before leaving for a troop camping trip at the beach. In hind sight, I over spent on materials. Someone in this thread mentioned that the 2x2 stands were light weight, and not to depend on them in high wind. I knew that we usually have sustained winds at 20-40 mph on the outer banks, so I over engineered them. I guyed it out and it did fine in the wind. I've got to think a lighter stand would have worked fine too if guyed out.

I got way carried away with my horizontal pipe. I overestimated the load it would bear. I also had to make this longer than needed because I made my web buckle suspension too long, and haven't bothered to remake it yet. I should have placed my buckles near the hammock ends, but made them about 18" from the ends. I was in such a hurry to finish the stand that I preferred to make it too long and know it would work that weekend. I made the top pipe in 3 sections. I think I can just delete a section and be good to go when I shorten my suspension.

I used 1-1/2" .125 square aluminum tubing for the legs because I thought it would seat against the hinges better than round pipe. I used 1-1/2" schedule 40 aluminum pipe for the top rail.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    franken Guide tarp
    Insulation
    incubator 0 degree
    Suspension
    adj webbing

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by novascotia-hanger View Post
    At least one stand has been made out of these. As I recall, the fiberglass version of these poles flexed more than desired for a ridgepole.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    image.jpg here is the one my dad built me as a birthday present. It is awesome! However I did have a major failure with it. Was using the chain link end caps to attach the carabiner and the end cap eyelet snapped sending me crashing to the ground. Good thing I wasn't more than 18 inches off the ground. I had used it for several days before that happened.
    I have now used my webbing to hang the pole from the hinges and just loop my whoopies and carabiner around the suspension, it was working well until last night. I have started the hanging full-time journey. The webbing is starting to slide forward on the ridge pole. Slowly lowering me to the floor. I have for put the bed back in place till I can fix the sliding issue. Also I have a bad left shoulder and I was getting some pain from shoulder squeeze. I am using an ENO double nest and I have a tablecloth that I need to make into a hammock. Is there any less shoulder squeeze with table cloth hammocks? I bought the biggest one they had. And can you hang a bridge hammock from this stand?

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Also has anyone had trouble with the legs walking them selves back together? Had that happen once or twice.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SQWERL View Post
    Also has anyone had trouble with the legs walking them selves back together? Had that happen once or twice.
    You have to learn to get in and out without pushing back or pulling forward on the hammock enough to lift the legs.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SQWERL View Post
    image.jpg here is the one my dad built me as a birthday present. It is awesome! However I did have a major failure with it. Was using the chain link end caps to attach the carabiner and the end cap eyelet snapped sending me crashing to the ground. Good thing I wasn't more than 18 inches off the ground. I had used it for several days before that happened.
    I have now used my webbing to hang the pole from the hinges and just loop my whoopies and carabiner around the suspension, it was working well until last night. I have started the hanging full-time journey. The webbing is starting to slide forward on the ridge pole. Slowly lowering me to the floor. I have for put the bed back in place till I can fix the sliding issue. Also I have a bad left shoulder and I was getting some pain from shoulder squeeze. I am using an ENO double nest and I have a tablecloth that I need to make into a hammock. Is there any less shoulder squeeze with table cloth hammocks? I bought the biggest one they had. And can you hang a bridge hammock from this stand?
    Well, you're the first to report breaking one of those end caps. Guess we all figured it would happen eventually.
    Which is why, most have done away with them and gone to some other sort of system to stop the hammock from sliding inward.

Many wrap a piece of innertube around the ridge pole where the hammock attaches, and this prevents slippage.
    I prefer a fixed stopper. Hang from an eyebolt, and all the forces are in the right place and you definitely won't slide inward.

Thusly:

img_1135medium.jpg

Can't answer your shoulder squeeze question, but you can certainly hang a bridge. It will require a much longer ridge pole though, like 15-16' or so depending on hammock and suspension.

If you're uncomfortable in a regular gathered end, you might try a mini-spreader bar.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=mini-spreader
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks Hppyfngy! Going to give that a try. And the shoulder squeeze may have been due to the slipping of the hammock and me sliding toward the end and getting in more of a banana position than diagonal lay throughout the night.

Thanks gmcttr! I don't know why, it never occurred to me that I could use the poles more than 2 at a time...

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    My parent's are having their deck rebuilt, so I may try and get the wood for one of these this weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 234 of 320 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284 ... LastLast