Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

1.75 Throw Line (Zing,Fling,Chuck,Lash) It

I have been handling 1.75 Spectra /Dyneema throwline for tie-outs for a little while. There are other throwlines of Dacron / Polyester and polyprop. I thought this would be a thread for some comments and tips on any / all of them.

Here is copied WV's response to an off brand throw line,"Chuck-It".

Not quite what we thought, but still good
    Received my Chuck-it from Demostix today and set out to see how it compares to Zing-it for splicing. I used three different splicing tools, a loop turner, a piece of CAT-5 network wire, and a Cortland "No-Knot Tool". I expected to have difficulty with the loop turner, as it's a struggle to splice 1.75mm Zing-it with it. In fact, all three worked, but the loop turner made me struggle, as expected.

The surprise came when I went to taper the end before burying it. It was easy to pull out separate strands and cut them off, but in doing so I saw the outer sheath slide back, revealing a central core of parallel strands. I'm surprised that I was able to slide the splicing tools down the center, considering the line is not really hollow core. It's easy to miss. On a subsequent splice the core didn't reveal itself at all.

I'm not a fan of kernmantle construction, but I think this line will serve well as an economical alternative to Zing-it. WV

The maker includes these notes, which may be applicable to all throw lines, especially as regards tangling of 100+ ft lengths.

It is recommended that a throw line be broken in , and laid completely out and hand tended into a pile, and then repeat the operation, be careful to remove any twists and turns present. The trow line should then be hand flaked ....for initial use, making shure not to impart twist when flaking into the bag. It will be worth spending extr time to flake the line carefully before throwing or shooting. This should allow a tangle free working tool every time

I'm breaking in yellow-green fluorescent Chuck-It throw line radically by running new stuff from the hank or reel over the back of a knife a few times. This breaks the wax coating. It is much less stiff after doing this.

I attach it for tie-outs with bowline knots. Not so elegant as within an eye splice. I'll sacrifice some breaking strength with 450lb bs available.

Chuck-It is not as bright as Glowire. Be AM coffee, eye rest, or sleep I like the greater visibility in dim daylight of dawn / dusk. Glad I replaced 2mm braided gray-giveaway- polyester for that reason.

I have not tried yet to find out if it gives away stealth, by being so bright at great distance.

Other tips on this or other throw-line for tie outs?
    For other repurposes?
    Tips on ridgeline use. eg prussics?
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-28-2012 at 12:44. Reason: edit

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The flourescent yellow Chuck-it in 1.75 size hold prussik knots on itself very nicely. At least, when the line is new. There are comment on arborist boards that coatings of throw lines change a lot with use. Sol, prussik holding may change, too.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 05-03-2012 at 16:05.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images

Tinkering with 1.75 "Chuck-It"

I recently purchased some "Chuck-It", and wanted to give some feedback on the line.

"Weight 180g /100m, 1.9 oz / 100ft. Nominal Size 1.75mm BS: 450 lb." as listed in http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51161

After tinkering and testing the line here's mine findings on the Chuck-it line:

The line: 1.75 mm braided line with an inner core. The core easily separates from the braid. The core rope is not like paracord cord with several separate strands, more like thick dental floss in structure.
    The line has not the same smoothness as Zing-it, due to a fluorescent yellow wax coating. It also feels somewhat stiffer.
    After manipulation some of the excess wax comes off, giving a smoother and less stiff line.

Prussik: Its wax coating gives good friction and a prussik knot stays put. After washing the line in hot water and soap the prussik still works.
    I even removed the core rope and tried the knot with the mantle, and it still worked.
    Knots: Easy to make a knot with. Hold knots well. Is possible to untie.
    Splicing: Is splice able, despite the core, during splicing I have had the core rope slipping out with the splice end. Takes some effort to avoid this. It is possible to remove the inner cord and splice the mantle.
    Breaking strength: I have not tested a complete chuck-it rope. What I did was I took a 2 feet length and removed the inner core. On one end I did a 3 inch bury and on the other end a figure 8 knot. With a carabiner on each end I then loaded 200 pounds and tried static and light dynamic loads (Me hanging and light swinging from a tree) No failure from the rope, the knot or the bury. It was possible to untie the figure 8 knot afterwards.

Verdict: New the wax coating can leave a light wax residue on clothing and gear. Not a big concern for me. It performs up to par regarding strength and knots. I have no hesitation to use it for tarp tie outs or ridge lines, also without the inner core.

Harstad
    Last edited by Harstad; 05-21-2012 at 07:27.
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    What I do to break throwline (Zing-It, Fling-It, Chuck-It, etc.) is to tie one end onto something solid, and then wrap it a few times around the spine of a carabiner, and then walk away, holding the carabiner. This stretches out the line off the spool, begins to break up the waxy coating, and makes it more flexible. I usually do this twice before storing the line for the first time. I'll have to look into this Chuck-it line, it sounds promising!

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts