Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Backpacking by car... a new paradigm?

Growl... Got to MAHHA and spent the night on Friday. Due to problems encountered in a variety of arenas... health, equipment and weather I had to bail out on Saturday morning.

My wife says she does not like the concept of backpacking being that you travel, set up camp, spend the night, tear down and do it all over again... a new place every night. I got to thinking, that's what my trips have been like recently. I was really hoping to make this one all the way through. Suffice it to say, the details would entail way too much information. But perhaps a new paradigm has been born. Backpacking by car.

As it turns out.... My arrival at home was fortuitous as my daughter (almost 21) decided to go look at apartments. She want's to move out in the worst way. I am pleased to say she went to look at one shortly after I got home. She told the landlord she wanted to consult with Mom or Dad before she committed. We were both supposed to be gone all weekend. She was able to discuss it with me and will soon be the new tenant in a unit across the street.

So perhaps the paradigm has benefits after all. I'll have to see.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That seems to be the way I have to do it. That way my 3 and 5 year old can backpack but we can keep up with my friends who backpack 15 miles a day!
    Nimbus37

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Many of my overnights are done this way as I usually have to be out in time to pick up my daughter from school. While I may be able to take all day to get into camp, I have to be out of it within a couple of hours. Therefore I almost never camp more than a mile from the car for the overnight trips.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sorry to hear your weekend got cut short, but it sounds like it happened for a good reason...

I haven't backpacked much in the last 20 years, but prior, my favorite option was hike until lunch and then enjoy the new spot.

Now that I'm older, my ideal backpacking trip is just far enough to get some solitude, and hang out there... Thru-hikes are not my style, or capability... I'm in terrible shape for those kinds of treks!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts