HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/whoopie

Great Barrier Reef Knot

Hello to everyone on Hammock Forums!

What a fantastic thing this is.

I've spent a little time on many forum sites and I have to say the atmosphere on this one is something special.

There must be something about the sort of soul that likes to hang from a tree that lends itself to entertaining, good humoured, helpful, resourceful bonhomie.

I'm an Irish fellow living and working in Cairns, Tropical Far North Queensland, Australia with an organization called the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

I'm kind of new to hanging having elevated myself from the dirt. I've been using hammocks everywhere since a trip to Mexico back in 98 when I spent a few weeks in my sisal string hammock. I've been carrying parachute silkies for years but I've recently worn out my tent and I've decided not to renew it. I plan to use my hammock and customize my gear to allow ultralightweight under Tarp on-ground sleeping too.

I know there are a few aussies and kiwis on the forum and I'm keen to say hello to anyone and everyone and learn from you guys. I'd love to get into DIY sometime but for now my job, my beautiful nutty children and my many other interests all adds up to not enough time. ( Yet! )

I bring my hammocks into many aspects of my life. I work in remote Aboriginal communities and I have to fly in there carrying a lot of special light weight medical kit. So what extra weight I carry has to be small and efficient. I regularly have to stay in these communities and I am now using my HH Backpacker Asym rather than a bed.

I'm doing a few solo desert hangs out around the Border of Queensland and the Northern Territory. I'll do a few on boats on the great barrier reef when I'm diving. I'll do a few when I'm up on Cape York working (very hot.)

I'm planning a long slow through hike with my father next Antipodean summer in New Zealand, over the Leslie-Karamea track.

I've never been down there so im really looking forward to that. I will be stopping wherever and whenever the Salty Dog wants to stop. He is a ground camper so that's going to be a test of my dual purpose set up.

If anyone can tell me how to find out how hammock friendly that walk is I would be very grateful. I know that the very popular walks can often be heavily "policed" by rangers and enthusiasts in the fragile environment of Tasmania. (You have got to try to get to Tasmania folks, it's truly amazing.) Is it the same on the South Island of New Zealand?

I've learned a lot from the forum already and I would like to start with a BIG THANK YOU to Jeff whose "tothewoods" website helped me a lot and directed me here, to Sergeant Rock whose light weight stuff has been really interesting and Shug Emery who had me laugh out loud and lighten up while I get just a little bit too obsessive about hammock equipment.

There's a long list of writers on here that are due a thank you so Ill just send one out to everyone.

The Pooka
    Last edited by The Pooka MacPhellimey; 04-29-2012 at 06:30.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Welcome from Las Vegas, Pooka!

New Member The Pooka MacPhellimey's Avatar
    Hammock
    BIAS WW, HH & many more
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/whoopie

Viva Las Vegas

Thanks!

You must get some hot day cold night hangs out there?

I've been trying to pick up some tips to allow me to radically increase my bottom insulation as the night gets colder.

What do you do?

Tarp
    DD hammocks XL
    Suspension
    Webbing and knots
    Welcome fellow Irish fella from dublin
    What kind of low temps are you hitting at night?
    "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission" - Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Hammock
    BIAS WW, HH & many more
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaKD View Post
    Welcome fellow Irish fella from dublin
    What kind of low temps are you hitting at night?
    Cunnas a ta tu?

( is that right? I was never any good at Gaelic!)

So; how cold?

Where I am right now it's 30 Celsius with a low of 25 Celsius tonight!

In the desert next week it'll be 35 Celsius in the day 12 Celsius at night!

Down in Tasmania in a few months it'll be above the snow line day and night!

The walk in New Zealand will be pretty warm when I'm there; 22-25 Celsius days and 8-10 Celsius at night! But I will be up in the hills a bit, so it can turn quite cold and wet quite quick!

I need to build a bit of flexibility into my "rig" to make it work across a wide range!

It's the desert nights in winter that I was asking about which can be 25 Celsius in the day and below zero at night that are a bit of a challenge to my sensitive Irish derričre

Are there many Paddies in Hammocks?

Where do you go hanging?

The Pooka!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome from Canada. Sounds like you have an interesting life and some interesting trips coming up.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Tarp
    DD hammocks XL
    Suspension
    Webbing and knots
    Ta me go maith
    with those temps you could get away with a CCF pad, not for everyone but cheap and not an issue if they get wet.
    You could probably knock up a cheap synthetic underquilt which gives you some flexibility.

Not many paddies I hang in the wicklow mountains mostly , wet but stunningly beautiful
    "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission" - Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Hammock
    BIAS WW, HH & many more
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/whoopie
    I'm in Australia so I need a lighter bottom insulation option.

I've got a HH BP asym (Velcro entry)

In australia it's the bugs that bother me so this bug net system is good for me.

(I don't like the snakes much either)

I could get the HH insulation system with the entry but I go to ground a lot and the open foam doesn't float my boat.

The under cover is the same weight at the VERY handy Grand Trunk Nano 7....

With a bottom entry HH BP asym will I be able to use a light "full" hammock like that and be able to get out through the bottom?

I'm thinking I could rig a shock cord to pull it to one side or just flip my foot over the edge.

Any ideas?

Then I have a spare room in my cold weather kit..... And I know ill get a lot of use out of the Nano 7.

(I can have a ultralight set up develop around that hammock! Or "pimp" my survival kit that I carry on the aircraft in case we go down; can you imagine... If I live I'd be the most chilled out survivor!

I was thinking of a more multipurpose light insulation option too.

I want to try the Exped multimat or something similar.

That gives me an insulating mat that's nice and wide and won't slip too much.

I can augment that with a survival reflecting blanket thing!

It's light but a bit bulky. BUT I might get my multiuse fix out if I use it as a ground sheet, seat, sleeping mat or possibly a "bath tub" under me if I'm going to ground and it's properly wet?!?

I'm interested in what you guys think as someone will have either tried this or seen someone try it.

I've seen a review of the multimat as insulation in a hammock with fair success.

Does anyone know a mat better than theat Multimat by Exped that will be GOOD as insulation and can function OK as a Pad?

I would think a lot of hangers that are forced to go to ground have thought about this ?

Eh?

I know some purists simply never go to ground but I often have little or no control over where I end up,

Ta.
    Last edited by The Pooka MacPhellimey; 04-30-2012 at 07:01. Reason: Indecisiveness and a little verbosity

Hammock
    BIAS WW, HH & many more
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Welcome from Canada. Sounds like you have an interesting life and some interesting trips coming up.

bill
    Hi Bill

It looks like you make some beautiful hardwood furniture and that you have some very fine facial hair!

I'd love to get some time in your amazing country!

The Pooka

Hammock
    BIAS WW, HH & many more
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaKD View Post
    Ta me go maith
    with those temps you could get away with a CCF pad, not for everyone but cheap and not an issue if they get wet.
    You could probably knock up a cheap synthetic underquilt which gives you some flexibility.

Not many paddies I hang in the wicklow mountains mostly , wet but stunningly beautiful
    That's a fantastic part of the world.

I'm going to try a few of your ideas.

I have a synthetic "over bag light bivy thing" from MEC in Canada.

I'll try to adapt that.

I also was thinking about the Sea to Summit MC 2 sleeping bag.

My 14 year old down bag is past it's best and I may upgrade.

The way that bag opens at the top and bottom might allow me to make some customizations and get a decent under quilt.

I'm going to trawl the DIY UQ posts for some gems.

Slán.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast