Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Venting an Underquilt

I am new to HF, but have been addicted to Backingpackinglight.com for a few years now. I'm now just starting to dabble in hammocks. I just picked up my first underquilt, but haven't received it yet. I think it will be too warm for me during the summer. I keep seeing people mention "venting" the underquilt. How do you do that? Does that mean hang it more loosly?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    Thermarest Prolite
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggle
    From what I understand, yes. Also, since most UQs can slide along whatever is suspending them; you can also cool down by moving the UQ to either end of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I am not one to give advice because I must not do it right. But....

I typically loosen the bungee at the head end, essentially creating a less snug fit at my shoulders. I can move a little in the hammock and the UQ will gap during the movement. This works fine in the summer, but if it's fairly cool, I am rewarded with a cool chill down my back.

I find venting is more easily accomplished on the top.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    The looser you hang ur UQ the more air your allowing to pass underneath you. The more air that passes underneath you the more chill you get on your back and the colder you are. Example being I hung a zero degree overstuffed Phoenix in single digits however did not cinch it tight enough up against the hammock. There fore I was cold. Second night I snuged it up nice and guitar string tight and was toasty warm. So yes Id say venting does work to some degree but in the summer if its hot and humid then you have hot and humid air passing underneath you. at least for me I know that Id roast using a zero or twenty rated UQ in sixty or above night time temps and their is always the weight penalty. What rated UQ did you get just outta curiosity? And what expected summer temps you talking?

But at the same time besides the weight penalty you can certainly use a lower rated UQ in warmer temps. When I first started I just wanted to get out and and hang any possible way I could so dont let a to warm of a quilt stop ya from going on a trip just hang it losely and if it gets to warm then you can always pull it out from underneath you. And with a warmer? UQ you could save weight by using a very lightbag or possibly even just a liner.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Just noticed you were in Myrtle Beach. You're talking about REAL summer.

In summer, with night lows above 70, just laying on top of a neat sheet or something to keep the wind off your back works well.

I've spent many summer nights on top of a neat sheet with a cheap, thin poly bag liner from Academy Sports at my feet. About 4am, I wake up cool and pull the bag liner on top of me for some top coverage. One day I'm going to cut out the zipper and hem the edges. I never

Spring and Fall in GA, a 30-40 degree UQ works and a 45 degree bag as a quilt on top.

Winter, which isn't much of one usually, a 20 degree works well.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lazy river road's explanation was great.

I went to bed one night at 70* and the UQ was attached, but completely next to my hammock. About 1AM I got cold as the wind picked up & temps dropped. I pulled the UQ under me. About 4 AM I got chilled enough to pull up my sleeping bag from where it was under my knees.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Considering HG UQ's, it has a secondary suspension to keep the UQ in place. To vent it you should loose the secondary one (not using it) to move it underneath you or you just loose the draft collar to vent it? I'm talking about 3/4 ones.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH 30D Hex
    Insulation
    CRO 30*TQ/20*UQ
    Suspension
    DW Bettle Buckles
    I got a 20* UQ and 30* TQ. Hammock, suspension, tarp and quilts are lighter than the black/green military issued sleeping bag alone. I can hang the UQ loose or if it’s summer and around 70+, I’ll just hang something else under it, like a poncho liner and leave the TQ at home.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Quote Originally Posted by ianders View Post
    I am new to HF, but have been addicted to Backingpackinglight.com for a few years now. I'm now just starting to dabble in hammocks. I just picked up my first underquilt, but haven't received it yet. I think it will be too warm for me during the summer. I keep seeing people mention "venting" the underquilt. How do you do that? Does that mean hang it more loosly?
    With my 20 degree underquilt I just don't cinch up the draft collars as much as my first step to vent. If I need it to vent more Ill let it hang a bit loose off the hammock and anymore after its around 70 degrees and I just wont need it. Looking to get a phoenix for warmer weather though.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Just reach out and pull it away from the hammock and give it a couple flaps. It's a rare thing that I have ever needed to vent the UQ though. I did have one time I just reached out and pulled the quilt out from under me completely and just let it hang next to the hammock. It was a 50 degree quilt in 80 degree humid weather.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast