DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I am not a scientist, but I don't think permethrin is as dangerous to animals as the indicate on the label. I purchased a much higher concentration from a feed store. This level is supposed to require a chemical license. IIRC, The bottle gave instructions on the label for applying directly to animals such as dogs, chickens, live stock, as well as treating kennels, barns, chicken bedding, etc. Once dry, it poses no health risk to humans.

That said, I don't recall any thing about cats.

Also, the chemical license requirement for my bottle (for all farm related chemicals in quantities or strengths not available to the general public) is usually more about environmental hazard of the product tha human hazard. The labels tell you that very time. Ex. If it spills in a waterway, if it spills on food crops

Works great on roaches, house flies, yard bugs, and about any creepy crawly, even the good ones unfortunately. I usually spray my house inside and out about 2x per year to keep the bugs down.

I've never treated my clothes but have treated my bugnet and hammock.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I have mixed feelings. I sprayed my clothes until they were dripping. I saw spiders crawling on it...and live. (that is ok with me but does that mean they are immune?) Also if you have flying gnats and so forth they don't seem to be repelled. Finally my hat had insects just sitting it and that was just treated .

Now ... My stuff was reated with a bottle that was 1 year old , yet unopened .... maybe they lose efficacy?

I'm not convinced....

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    I have mixed feelings. I sprayed my clothes until they were dripping. I saw spiders crawling on it...and live. (that is ok with me but does that mean they are immune?) Also if you have flying gnats and so forth they don't seem to be repelled. Finally my hat had insects just sitting it and that was just treated .

Now ... My stuff was reated with a bottle that was 1 year old , yet unopened .... maybe they lose efficacy?

I'm not convinced....
    It doesn't kill most flying insects including mosquitoes, black flies, etc but it messes with their nervous system and is an effective repellant and deterrent to getting bitten. I find mosquitoes tend to avoid landing on my clothes but flies will still land on me. It does kill ticks and chiggers. Maybe not immediately but they will die. For me, wearing treated clothes, gaiters, boots, hammock and pack, I've not found any ticks on me, in my car or at home after a trip.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Since the choice is treating my clothes (and hammock) with Permethrin or slathering DEET all over myself, I definitely go the Permethrin route.

I have not watched insects die on it, but since using it, I have yet to get a tick bite me. And that includes cowboy camping, which I do often.

Rain Man

P.S. I've read many times about Permethrin killing cats and fish when wet. So keep away from cats until thoroughly dry and do NOT dump excess in or near any waterway.

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post
    Grandpa used to spray down toilet paper roll tubes stuffed with Permethrin soaked TP. Mice would use it for bedding and it would kill the ticks. For an old guy, he was smart...
    Not a single mouse died as a result of Permethrin, they got the traps instead...

Shnick
    interesting story... but I fail to understand the logic - why did he do that.... and fyi - it was most likely DDT back then... They stopped producing in 1973 or so.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I spray my net with permethrin just in case one gets inside my hammock. I have found many dead ones inside last year.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Since the choice is treating my clothes (and hammock) with Permethrin or slathering DEET all over myself, I definitely go the Permethrin route.

I have not watched insects die on it, but since using it, I have yet to get a tick bite me. And that includes cowboy camping, which I do often.

Rain Man

P.S. I've read many times about Permethrin killing cats and fish when wet. So keep away from cats until thoroughly dry and do NOT dump excess in or near any waterway.

Deep Woods Off is 14% or slightly better and is full of a repellant... 100% is not a dramatic improvement... Permethrin is treated on the outside of clothing is good for 50 washings or so they say... It is best on the outside of the Hammock around the shoulders. No need to jungle slather......

As to fish or cats - we are talking miniscule amounts.... a non factor. Don't dump the bottle down the drain.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    2 weekends ago on the Pinhoti, 4 days, me w/ permethrin 0 ticks, my buddy without permethrin 16 ticks.

end of story.

I don't treat my hanging gear, the bug net does the job.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    interesting story... but I fail to understand the logic - why did he do that.... and fyi - it was most likely DDT back then... They stopped producing in 1973 or so.
    I guess I should add that in his whole life he spent more time in the garage and barn than he did in the house, always getting his hands dirty on some grease-laden project. In rural Wis. mice are a problem. Especially if you live near cornfields.
    Dad told me he did it to keep the mice from spreading the mites and ticks, when they use it for bedding the ticks died.
    At least, that was the idea...
    When he passed on we were cleaning up the garage attic and we found over a dozen TP nests.
    Did it work? Dunno, I was 8 and had no interest in hanging out in such places.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    interesting story... but I fail to understand the logic - why did he do that....
    Most tick larvae and many tick nymphs feed on small rodents. If you provide rodents treated nesting material, you end up killing an awful lot of tics thus knocking the local population way down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast