Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images

Spring Mahha pre-hike & trail magic

I always look forward to spending some time on the trail before each Mahha gathering. This last Spring Mahha this past weekend was no different. I met up with my friend 2Questions and New Jersey's own SilvrSurfr at Pine Grove Furnace on Thursday morning and we proceeded down to Caledonia State Park to our trail head. We walked north on the AT where we passed through several laurel tunnels on route to the Quarry Gap shelter. We knew that several other Hammock forum members had spent the previous night in this luxuriously appointed AT shelter. We got back on the trail after quenching our thirst from the spring directly in front of the shelter. After a nice days walk we arrived at the Birch Run shelter to find that MML, Enyapjr, SweetBabyD, 2TallWv, BlackWolf and TwoTents in the process of getting set up for the night. What a great sight it was to see that many hammocks surrounding the AT shelter. After we all got settled in we gathered in the shelter for a little trail talk. There we met "Groundhog" a 22 year old thru hiker. We had several discussions about all things hiking. We mentioned that we were going to the Mahha hang and that GroundHog was welcome to stop by and check it out. We all set off in Friday morning with Pine Grove Furnace as our destination. Once we arrived at the Mahha site everyone was getting set up and talking with new and old friends alike. GroundHog came down to the campsite and said that the PGF Hostel was full due to a wedding- so we all invited him to join us for the night. Friday night came and we grilled delights on SweetBabyD's grill and great company was the main course of the evening. We all stayed up as late as we could and called it a night. Everyone woke up to the smells of pancakes cooking in the pavilion. By the time I got over there GroundHog had eaten 8 pancakes (did I say thru hikers like to eat?). Afterwards, some went on a day hike to a overlook spot just up the AT, others hung out catching up while several visited the AT museum and some sloths napped (guilty). Then the pot luck dinner rolled around (did I say hammockers like to eat?). Then after stuffing our bellies, we all held our breath to see if we would win anything in the raffle.
    Big shout out to all the cottage vendors who donated prizes. The night drew to a close and the last I saw of our new friend Groundhog was him getting about two pounds of left over mac n cheese from Mary Mary for his next days walk..did I say thru hikers liked to eat?....Anyhow-I am rambling. It was great to see our hammock community lay down some great trail magic. I am sure there is talk somewhere right now in a AT shelter about a thru hiker meeting a bunch of crazy hammockers and how great a time was had by all....and I bet we see that Thru hiker in a hammock some day.

See you all at the Fall Mahha or on the trail.
    Last edited by SoundMan; 05-01-2012 at 07:38.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    HEY great post -- see my gallery for a few pics. I am still uploading.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great hanging with ya on the pre-hike!!!!
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sounds like typical hammock hospitality!
    I always notice that the woods seem like a friendlier place to be.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I really like that Groundhog thru hiker. He fit right in with us. He bought a couple boxes of stuffed doughnuts on a WalMart re supply and brought them to the potluck dinner. He told me it was his best weekend on the trail! He also successfully completed the 1/2 gallon challenge at the general store at PGF. He had a bigger stomach than he looked to be packin.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    I really like that Groundhog thru hiker. He fit right in with us. He bought a couple boxes of stuffed doughnuts on a WalMart re supply and brought them to the potluck dinner. He told me it was his best weekend on the trail! He also successfully completed the 1/2 gallon challenge at the general store at PGF. He had a bigger stomach than he looked to be packin.
    He told us that he'd join the forum when he was done. Said he was gonna change his ways. Said to keep an eye out for "Airhog"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Said he was gonna change his ways. Said to keep an eye out for "Airhog"
    That's totally toooooooo funny. What a great way to change a trail name!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts