Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images

KAQ- Potomac Underquilt- Need some input

I purchased a camo KAC off the forum and I would like to gain some user input on temp rating. I will be using on my HH and I am a warm sleeper. I probably wont have it until the end of the week.

I would like to know how low the temps using the KAC alone can be reached and when I may need to add a pad or additional insulation.

Can you take a poncho liner or some other insulation and place it under the hammock/on top of the KAC to increase insulation.

Currently for cold weather I use a CCF or a Big Agnes Insulated Aircore or both depending on how cold.

Any helpful advise is appreciated.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I purchased a camo KAC off the forum and I would like to gain some user input on temp rating. I will be using on my HH and I am a warm sleeper. I probably wont have it until the end of the week.

I would like to know how low the temps using the KAC alone can be reached and when I may need to add a pad or additional insulation.

Can you take a poncho liner or some other insulation and place it under the hammock/on top of the KAC to increase insulation.

Currently for cold weather I use a CCF or a Big Agnes Insulated Aircore or both depending on how cold.

Any helpful advise is appreciated.
    I have used one alone to 45 degrees. No experience below that.

I see no reason why you couldn't add another layer, modulo issues with compressing the UQ, and getting in the bottom entry .

Grizz

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I am adding the zipper mod so bottom entry will not be an issue. 45 degrees is good to know. I feel with the insulative options I now posess, I will be good to go in the winter.

I'm excited about my first underquilt.

Images
    Most folks will advise against space blankets. But they have always given me a considerable boost when layered between my hammock and either my Super Shelter pad( many times) or my PeaPod ( one time, at 10*F). Whether this benefit is due to radiant block, vapor barrier or both, I don't know, but it helps. And only adds 2 ozs, plus keeps any condensation out of my insulation.

Whether or not it would help with a KAQ I couldn't say, but it might be worth $2 to test it once it gets cold.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Nest used it on Springer Mtn on New Years Eve. 17 degrees and lots of wind. Stayed nice and snug without any other insulation. Don't think it's actually rated for that low, but we also used a SnugFit that weekend without anyu problems.

Sue didn't want to get out of those hammocks the next morning

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    I used my KAQ on my AT section in May. The wx got down into the 40s with decent winds. I used my Gossamer Gear 3/8in pad as added insulation in the HH. I pre-tested to the upper 20s with that setup, using a silk base layer, thick hiking socks, a poly mid-layer shirt and skull cap. I would say the KAQ is good to the mid 40s without assistance. But that is starting out warm. If you start out cold, it will be awhile before you warm up. Mine is full-length, my next one will be 3/4.

A little OT, but has anyone tried layering a space blanket between the insulation and inner layer of a DIY KAQ? I picked one up but it's really flimsy, not sure if it'd be worth it. Then again, what could it hurt?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think I was able to get to mid to low 40's F with the KAQ. Then I started layering in a JRB Stealth quilt in between the hammock and the KAQ and was comfortable at much lower temps. I think I got down to mid 20's (?). I'm a cold sleeper.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
    A little OT, but has anyone tried layering a space blanket between the insulation and inner layer of a DIY KAQ? I picked one up but it's really flimsy, not sure if it'd be worth it. Then again, what could it hurt?
    See my post above. Have not tried with a KAQ, but have benefited adding it to other systems. At 2 oz, it is worth experimenting with. It would be important to have it on the outside of the hammock, but on top of ALL layers of insulation. When I have used it this way, I have not had any condensation either inside the hammock or in the under insulation. There would usually be some condensation ( usually a small amount) on the space blanket.

Of course, I can't think of any reason that layering clothing that you are not wearing- especially light and fluffy stuff like a down vest or whatever- (on top of the KAQ) would not also help a good bit, just lie it does with the Super Shelter and PeaPod. You just want to make sure whatever you add is not heavy enough to either compress the insulation of the KAQ more than the loft that is added, and that it does not cause a gap. I'm not sure why all of the above would not work with all UQ's, but I can only have experience with the SS and PeaPod. And it all works great with those two.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-29-2008 at 08:00.

• + New Posts