Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Info needed: OMW vs. Big Daddy

Hey everybody,
    I am just starting my hammock adventure...I am in the process of getting my first hammock setup put together.
    I have heard great reviews of WL, so naturally here I am.
    I am looking for my first tarp. I simply can't decide between the Old Man Winter and the Big Daddy. I like the design of the OMW but I am worried it is too much tarp for a beginner.
    I live in the Seattle area, so yes it does rain. Would the Big Daddy provide enough coverage or should I pony up for the OMW for maximum protection?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    hey readyme and welcome to HF!
    here are my thoughts (to be taken with a grain of salt).
    i own an OMW and Tadpole (so i can't speak for the BD).
    my first tarp had doors (WB SF) because i wanted the coverage if weather should happen.
    as a beginner i wanted a "do it all tarp" since i had little experience pitching a tarp for a hammock.
    as i gained "hang time" i began to leave the doors attached to the pull outs when i was not expecting precipitation.
    then i discovered Wilderness Logics and so i picked up a Tadpole for warmer hangs.
    i really liked the quality and service so when WL introduced the OMW i sold my SF and grabbed an OMW.
    the center side tie out makes a lot of difference to me, in that, it helps with keeping a taunt tarp and gives extra anchorage in high winds and/or snow.
    here, in NC, i use the Tadpole all summer and the OMW from fall to spring.
    (imho) having "too much tarp" is better than not enough when there is a learning curve.
    the Big Daddy is a little larger than my Tadpole and i believe it would provide ample all around coverage, and both are great tarps.
    my 2 cents,
    __bob__

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I like the fact,,I can take the OMW, and pitch it with the doors closed if I have to. I can open the doors and fold them back either on the outside or inside. I can hang the tarp with doors folded back in porch mode on one side or both, I can do porch mode with one side of doors closed. I can leave one end open, and other end with doors closed, I can pitch tarp with the sides down completely to the ground all the way around. Lots of options for a great tarp and that is why they call it a 4 season tarp.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Thanks for your input guys.
    I should add that I am going to be a 3 season guy.
    At this point, I am still going to use my sleeping bag. I figure I would trying 'hanging' for a while before I dive in head first and end up with an under quilt and over quilt...I was quite surprised how expensive those are!!

Flatline, I am worried I am trying to get a "do it all tarp" that will do more than I ask...that is why I am leaning towards the Big Daddy. You mentioned you really like the center tie outs on the OMW, and I was thinking those would be really nice to keep things tight. I wonder if I could convince WL to add center tie outs to the Big Daddy.

Thanks all, please keep the info rolling.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    If you want more coverage, but aren't sure you want doors, you could get the Big Daddy with either a 132 inch or 144 inch ridgeline.

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    If you want more coverage, but aren't sure you want doors, you could get the Big Daddy with either a 132 inch or 144 inch ridgeline.
    Good call. The 144 would provide a lot of coverage over the 120 hammock.
    Thanks, I did not think of that option.

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Thank you all again for your assistance. I exchanged quite a few emails with Marty (@WL) today and decided on the 144" Big Daddy...I guess that would be the Really Bid Daddy.
    I had a few concerns that were quickly solved, so I am excited to make my first tarp purchase.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by readyme View Post
    Thank you all again for your assistance. I exchanged quite a few emails with Marty (@WL) today and decided on the 144" Big Daddy...I guess that would be the Really Bid Daddy.
    I had a few concerns that were quickly solved, so I am excited to make my first tarp purchase.

just saw this, Congrats, its a great tarp!

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great, I know I'm ringing in late, bfwiw, I love my big daddy with pullouts.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    I have used my Big Daddy all winter and have used it this spring. There was one night in the middle of winter where I would have wanted doors, but even in mass showers the big daddy has been awesome. I would recommend it or the Toxaway from AHE. If you are settled on WL, Marty was easy to work with and my tarp came in quickly. I would definitely recommend tarp skins with this as well. I use orange glowire from lawson as my guyouts and ridgeline with simple prussiks on the guys and tarp flys on the ridgeline. really easy setup I think I have some pics of my WL big daddy somewhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast