Whoopie slings on tarp

I know you have to have slack in the rope for it to work properly. I was wondering if you used the straps and hooked it up to the toggle like on the hammock. Instead of putting it over the knot, just put it on the toggle. I figure since you don't have you weight on it you could do that. When you take it down you just turn the toggle sideways and slip the sling off giving you slack in the sling. If this works then you have the ease of the Whoopie Sling for tarp adjustment. Unfortunately I dont have a tarp or Whoopie Slings. I will try this when I get mine though. Just a thought. I also thought about caribiners to connect but the tension may be too much to disconnect the biner. Any thoughts in this?

Well I just ordered 40 or 45 feet of amsteel from DIY gear supply. I will find out. I'm surprised no one had thoughts on this

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaboy2132 View Post
    I know you have to have slack in the rope for it to work properly. I was wondering if you used the straps and hooked it up to the toggle like on the hammock. Instead of putting it over the knot, just put it on the toggle. I figure since you don't have you weight on it you could do that. When you take it down you just turn the toggle sideways and slip the sling off giving you slack in the sling. If this works then you have the ease of the Whoopie Sling for tarp adjustment. Unfortunately I dont have a tarp or Whoopie Slings. I will try this when I get mine though. Just a thought. I also thought about caribiners to connect but the tension may be too much to disconnect the biner. Any thoughts in this?
    I don't see how your suggestion changes things - the last thing I want on a tarp suspension is slack. The problem with whoopie slings for tarps is that you can't get enough tension. You need two hands to adjust the whoopie, and a third hand to pull the tarp/rope tight. Even if you use your teeth, you still won't be able to get your tarp tensed enough.

Feel free to try whoopies for tarp suspension - I did. And now I don't.

Lol. Thanks. I don't understand what exactly you saying. Remember though, I have never hung a tarp. I will take your advice. The way I picture it, it works. The way I picture my next wife also works, so my picture doesn't mean a thing

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaboy2132 View Post
    The way I picture my next wife also works, so my picture doesn't mean a thing
    Heh, know the feeling!

Not sure though what you don't see regarding SilvrSurfr's description. Basically because of the way whoopies work, getting enough tension on the ridge line is difficult. Well, you can always use the whoopies for your hammock if it doesn't work for you!

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    I'm not sure I'd want to over complicate things if it was me.

I go super simple and use just a Dutch Hook, 30f of #18 bank line and two 12" bank line loops for french prusiks to tension the tarp (I primarily set it up in a diamond pattern).

Simple, fast and lightweight. I use 1" web tree straps & woopies on my hammock but that's the entire hang.

I think I somewhat understand now. I have never used a whoopsie either so that kinda doesn't help on understanding. What I was concentrateing on was the release of the whoopsie slings. Not the tightening of them. Well I have some extra amsteel that I can use when I claim my first PIF. it was pretty cheap from DIYgearsupply anyway. Or I could use some for the ridge line. Oh well. Ive got choices. Lol

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Due to the breaking strength of amsteel, it is overkill to use it for tarps. Also, whoopie slings use double the amount of line as well. Not that you can't do it, but it is easier and less bulky to use single lengths of smaller line. "Zing-it" is a popular choice around here.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I use lash it for a ridgeline and i like it but I'm not in love with it. I do use whoopies in my tarp for guy lines and so far I really like it!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I use lash it for a ridgeline and i like it but I'm not in love with it. I do use whoopies in my tarp for guy lines and so far I really like it!
    i have whoopies on my tarp tie outs also made from "zing-it"
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts