Lightweight
    Bulky
    Not sure how the r-value relates to and underquilt
    UQS:
    Heavier
    Warmer (I suspect)
    Conforms to the body more
    Less space required as they are very compressible

Either way I am going to make some type of double layer hammock to either house a pad or house the underquilt. Any advice from those who have experimented with both?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I find pads uncomfortable and I love UQ's downy warmth. UQ can get expensive, but the comfort level is worth the price, and they will last you a long time, if you take good care of them.
    "No whining in the woods"

Yes, the idea of an underquilt does seem very snuggly! I think it could be affordable if I make it myself. Now what type of filling to use...down, pgII, batting....decisions, decisions

Hammock
    WB 1.1DBL, Eno DBL
    Tarp
    WB Super or Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoooooopy!
    I started with pads and moved to under quilts. I find them much more comfortable. One point in your top message may not be correct. Double layer hammocks allow a pad to be placed inside. But, the Under Quilt does not go in same slot as the pad. Under quilts hang below the hammock (same set up for single layer and double layer hammocks) which allows full loft.

One place where pads make a lot of sense are trips where you will be without good trees. For example if you stay overnight above treeline. On a multi-day trip with one night at altitude, pads make a lot of sense as you can go to ground as needed. Also, with a hammock, you already have a trap, so going to ground is easy with a pad.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps
    Pads are easy to come by, inexpensive and lightweight. If it gets wet, it still works, just wipe it off. If it gets damaged it still works. Reflectix and closed cell foam are both good options.

They're a good way to get started. You need something under you, and its good have something like this for sitting on at camp as well.

As you get picky, spend bigger bucks on your gear, you can graduate to quilts for maximum insulation in super cold temps or for super ideal comfort.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Exped Multimat
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Right now I'm using an exped multimat and like it, it's 39" wide and so wraps around nicely when in the hammock, and (for me) hasn't been super bunchy. Works down to the 50s, haven't had it colder than that by itself. It weighs 12oz roughly, and is a little bulky rolled up.

A benefit for it, is if I do go to ground it becomes a ground sheet and doubled up, a 1/4" foam pad. When its colder I can fold it up differently to wrap around my torso with my synmat ul 7 beneath me while hanging. Together they weight about 27oz iirc.

That said, I'm making a ground setup work in the hammock, and as I still sleep on the ground occasionally need to keep the pad hehe. But I'm looking to DIY a climashield apex UQ all the same, with eventual plans to move to down, once I do a few other projects.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    $8 pad, good to 30s UQ, $150-200. Pad works wet, UQ not. Pad works on ground as camp sit pad, Uh UQ not. Pad is a personal flotation device, with UQ you drown

Cost effectiveness Pad:UQ no contest.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHmBY2y-BTQ

I did a video on the advantages of uq.... Just get past the tree talk
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Important to me

This may sound bit stupid....

But I use CCF pad nowadays mainly because it keeps the hammock at open form. Quilts are great but they "crush" the hammock when it is empty and it is not so easy to go in.

When there is pad in hammock (between layers) it is open and welcomes You to take a nap or sit in.

When there is quilt under hammock hammock is closed and sad and You need two hands to go in for a nap. It's a hassle...

Or is it just Me?

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    The one thing I haven't seen covered: breathability. UQ's breathe very well, pads don't. If you're an individual prone to experiencing condensation (I am) it can be an added factor to consider.

I used pads for a long time (and still do every now and then) and they function just fine as long as they are wide enough or you add additional material (or more pad) to them to cover your shoulders as most pads are about 20" wide or so. I have since made a 3/4 UQ and it's great, but I still carry a short pad (torso length) for my feet or in case I'm forced to ground for any reason (makes a great sit pad too).
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast