Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Dying Fabrics... Art and Science

It seems there is an increased interest in dying fabric to get specific desired colors. So a brief tutorial about the art and science of dying. Technique varies by product and base fabric so I won't be getting into that. But there is a basic knowledge set that is helpful to understand.

First of all, if you are matching colors on the internet you are on a fool's errand. The chromatic reproduction on a digital screen is subject to a number of variables you have absolutely no control over. Color reproduction depends on the style/quality/make and settings of you monitor. If you want a specific color use _only_ properly standardized color chips that you can hold in your hand.

Colors are standardized according to the Pantone Matching System (PMS). There is a different set of formulas for inks and dyes. The Pantone Textile system is what you want for fabric colors. The other system will give you ink formulas for printing. But the PMS color numbers are the same in each system. Only the formula changes.

Pantone colors are used by printers and artists to make sure the color reproduced is the same color desired. The mixture of different colors in the proper proportion is the science behind dying or printing. Thus it is the formula that is important to the manufacturer or artist.

Once you have the Pantone number you can begin the process of trying to find a dye that will produce that color. Dye manufacturers and distributors should be of assistance in this regard if you ask the right questions. Rit has a formula calculator that will approximate any particular pantone color. But, that calculator is linked to the Rit dyes and may not be transferable to other manufactures. Dye formulas are often very proprietary. Different products will give different results unless the Pantone color is stated on the packaging.

Pantone color numbers can be found from the companies who publish logo charts. Or any printshop should have the latest Pantone color chips which can be matched to a sample. But always do so under the predominant light where the item will be used. For normal gear purposes that would probably be natural lighting. Beware of Fluorescent or incandescent lighting as they have their own unique color shift.

There's the science behind the process. The art comes in the form of technique and knowledge and usually can only be achieved by practical experience.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

This is what you told me. I looked up the charts on eBay and there was one for sale for $95. Ouch. I am probably the only one that want a specific and hard to dye color I'm sure. It's because I am trying a specialty hammock and not just any red will do. Your advice the other day was very helpful. I'm going to try it but it will probably be next month. I will post pics of the result and the process. I'm sure if it's not too hard others will want to try it as well

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Any copy shop that does brochures and custom color work should have a chart or color chips. You don't need to buy one.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks again for the info. Back in my college days I made a few single color tie dyed t- shirts for me and a couple of friends. Nothing fancy.

I just had a remember - the - old - college days moments and thought about doing something cool with my kiddos.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

I know but I live in a small town. I don't have a copy shop close. I may look when I go to Tuscaloosa. It's only an hour away

• + New Posts