Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've been surprised the plastic ell has held up to this. I fully expected it to bend or break.

Do they even make Sched 80 in small sizes?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Have you tried a glue in a PVC threaded end plug adapter ?? You should be able to find one that is 1/8 NPT then just drill out the threads or not.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceHawk View Post
    ... for some reason the Home Depot did not carry the 1/2" 90 ell in schedule 40 without the belled end when I went in.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I've been surprised the plastic ell has held up to this. I fully expected it to bend or break.

Do they even make Sched 80 in small sizes?
    The Home Depot in Asheville carries the plain-end 90-degree bend in 1/2-inch Schedule 80 (that's a mouth-full!): Clicky
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

So those of you that have tried this; would you go this route with the carabiner or usually whipping?

This is my first hammock. I'm a DIY type. I've thought about moving to hanging off the ground for about a couple of years. But the only hammocks I've ever been in are cheap backyard type, not properly hung and I didn't know to lay diagonal. So my impression was that you bent like a banana. I also sleep on my side mostly and that's not possible bent like a banana.

I really want to go lighter weight and get off the ground. I carry a 5 lbs tent now plus pads and bag. Ive been reading here a couple of months, but haven't seen anyone doing hangs here in Alaska to go look and try out hammocks.

So I'm sewing up a double 1.9 oz ripstop hammock 11' by 60". I'm 6 foot and 198 lbs. and want to lay flat as possible to sleep on my side. I was going to just hem the ends, do w fold and whip the end. But now I'm thinking about sewing in a channel and using the carabiner.

I was going to sew it up soon. So those of you that tried carabiner, is it more comfortable than w fold and whipping?

Thanks, Chuck

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckak View Post
    So those of you that have tried this; would you go this route with the carabiner or usually whipping?

This is my first hammock. I'm a DIY type. I've thought about moving to hanging off the ground for about a couple of years. But the only hammocks I've ever been in are cheap backyard type, not properly hung and I didn't know to lay diagonal. So my impression was that you bent like a banana. I also sleep on my side mostly and that's not possible bent like a banana.

I really want to go lighter weight and get off the ground. I carry a 5 lbs tent now plus pads and bag. Ive been reading here a couple of months, but haven't seen anyone doing hangs here in Alaska to go look and try out hammocks.

So I'm sewing up a double 1.9 oz ripstop hammock 11' by 60". I'm 6 foot and 198 lbs. and want to lay flat as possible to sleep on my side. I was going to just hem the ends, do w fold and whip the end. But now I'm thinking about sewing in a channel and using the carabiner.

I was going to sew it up soon. So those of you that tried carabiner, is it more comfortable than w fold and whipping?

Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck, unfortunately that's really subjective. You're making a good sized hammock. My advice would be to sew in a channel, triple stitched so that you can try both methods. A sewn channel isn't going to cost you more than a few inches on each end in length and you have ample width to get a proper diagonal lay no matter how you rig it.

I converted a gathered end to try this method, because it seems so logical, but for me, in all honesty, I didn't find it worth the trouble. Obviously with the momentum and enthusiasm this has gotten, I'm in the minority. A long hammock emulates what the spreader bar gives to a shorter hammock; the geometry and lay of a longer hammock. If your hammock is a nice long one, you may or may not notice a difference in using the mini-spreader.

So, not really a definitive answer, but a suggestion. Sew in the channel and you can try many different options.

Good Luck!
    HFG
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Thanks HFG

I noticed reading the forum long time hangers where buying or making longer hammocks or claimed their longer and wider hammocks were their most comfortable. Now I know why. I'm going to sew in the channel to give me more options for experimenting and find what's right for me.

You really dont need a double 1.9 for 200#.
    Single 1.9 is enough.

If you want a double you should be looking at a double 1.1 which will save some weight.

If this is your first go, I would just sew a single then try it out, test it etc.

If you need to add another layer you can always just whip them together or sew together later.

As far as regular hammocks I prefer a 12'x5' myself, W whipped for just a light hammock.

As far as absolute comfort and flat lay that goes to the latest version of a bridge hammock with triangle ends. Weighs about the same as a regular hammock but you have to add 2 spreader bars that weigh about 10oz, but a very very flat lay and with a full length wide air pad in lays very flat. Much better for side sleeping but a real PIA to make.

Thanks, Chuck

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images

Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck,

I too have a 11' x 60" DIY hammock and use the MSB shown in the thread. I have done this with an ENO SingleNest and Byer traveler. I also plan to adapt a MollyMac bivy hammock to the MSB too.

I would suggest folding it over and triple stitching your hammock.

Regards,
    Ellis

Images

Locked Brummel Splice w/Curved Aluminum Tube

How about taking an aluminum tube and bending and cutting to your preferred hammock design.
    http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl.../05/Bender.jpg

Then inset the tube into 1/2-inch Amsteel Blue Rope.
    http://content.westmarine.com/images...ge/9636143.jpg

Create a "Fixed Eye" on both ends of the Amsteel Blue Rope.
    Caution: Be sure to stitch the bury as this method requires!
    http://youtu.be/Q22wgYZL9f0

I suppose that the only issue will be aluminum tube abraision issues on the Amsteel Blue Rope, which can easily be remedied by a bit of heat shrink adhesive tubing end caps on the curved aluminum tubing ends.

The standing end of the Amsteel Blue Rope can also have a small loop spliced into it for attachment to suspension.

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    With 1/2 inch Amsteel you can use it as a tow rope for your SUV

• + New Posts
  • Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast