Clark American
    Insulation
    thermarest
    the shiny stuf is thin, maybe thinner than the rest or maybe just the color

Hammock
    Clark American
    Insulation
    thermarest
    did the burn chart thing... could not tell really.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    That stuff is not silnylon but a really heavy DWR. It will repel water for awhile then you will get wet. I had some of the same material from walmart
    Yup, got the same stuff as well from the dollar bin. Got ALL 15 yards too. I've made a sock and skins, err, things you stuff your hammock in kinda like skins but not REALLY skins, (I digress), I'm planning on making an UQ out of that material next. Its really good material to practice on. Good luck with it!
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    I have these same fabrics all but the white. The 1st & 3rd should be 1.5-1.9oz with little to no coating. The thinner green 2nd roll has a nice DWR coating & is 1.1oz. I really think this should make a nice synthetic quilt (although may not be as down proof as some). I have passed on the white fabrics because well they are white, but have seen them. They appear to be anywhere from 1.1-1.9oz materials (have seen both).

Suggestions: Make a double body hammock & try your hand at silicone treating the 1st & 3rd rolls. Use the 2nd roll for a quilt, sock, skins, & stuff sacks (for things that can risk getting wet). As far as the white, I guess it can do anything the 1st & 3rd can do if you don't mind glowing in the woods. Or maybe use this for snowy weather in which case it is really stealthy! Did you really get this for $1 per roll? Wow, what a deal!!!

To help with the weights if you don't have a scale capable of weighing you can use a set of calipers that measure to .001". As a kind of rule of thumb (NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE!) the 1.1oz measures .002", the 1.9oz is .004". The gray may be .003" or 1.4-1.5oz. I have noticed its a little softer feeling than a lot of the other ripstops I have, which is why I suggest a double bottom hammock. It should be comfy!

Hope this helps. Good luck & have fun!
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Clark American
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Yea, I got all you see for $4

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schmalts View Post
    Yea, I got all you see for $4
    THEY CHARGED YOU $1 PER BOLT INSTEAD OF $1 PER YARD? Kind of explains why Wallyworld is getting rid of their fabric departments - can't make any money that way!

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ha HA! I finally get to post! I've been looking around for a week or so now and all my questions have been answered in one form or another. (by the way JustJeff's site is awesome)

I love hammocks and used to sleep in a woven mayan style one in my apartment for a couple of years instead of buying a bed. ->Long story short, I don't know much about camping hammock fabric, and all the sites that I have found fabric that was suitable didn't have pictures. I want to make everything myself (at least for my gear, I may just buy my wife some commercial stuff). I went to wallyworld and looked at their dollar fabric and had no idea what I was looking at. From the descriptions I have read about, the ripstop has a raised pattern due to the different thread run in it. I found something that looked like it, but wasn't sure enough to purchase... even from the dollar bin.

What I'm hoping for is for someone to post pictures of different types of fabric and a list to see what to look for if the fabric isn't labeled. I looked at the site with the burn test, and I'm sure I could sneak a lighter into the fabric section but I don't think they will appreciate me torching the goods so a more discrete way would be nice.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum. This site has invaluable information and I hope to get my wife and I camping w/ hammocks very soon.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    THEY CHARGED YOU $1 PER BOLT INSTEAD OF $1 PER YARD? Kind of explains why Wallyworld is getting rid of their fabric departments - can't make any money that way!
    Now we are all going to try just taking the bolt up to the cashier.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Ha HA! I finally get to post! I've been looking around for a week or so now and all my questions have been answered in one form or another. (by the way JustJeff's site is awesome)

I love hammocks and used to sleep in a woven mayan style one in my apartment for a couple of years instead of buying a bed. ->Long story short, I don't know much about camping hammock fabric, and all the sites that I have found fabric that was suitable didn't have pictures. I want to make everything myself (at least for my gear, I may just buy my wife some commercial stuff). I went to wallyworld and looked at their dollar fabric and had no idea what I was looking at. From the descriptions I have read about, the ripstop has a raised pattern due to the different thread run in it. I found something that looked like it, but wasn't sure enough to purchase... even from the dollar bin.

What I'm hoping for is for someone to post pictures of different types of fabric and a list to see what to look for if the fabric isn't labeled. I looked at the site with the burn test, and I'm sure I could sneak a lighter into the fabric section but I don't think they will appreciate me torching the goods so a more discrete way would be nice.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum. This site has invaluable information and I hope to get my wife and I camping w/ hammocks very soon.
    I usually try to blow through the fabric, and then do a "spit" test on it. I spit on a corner and rub it in. If it rubs through, not sil.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    ewww.... Glad you ain't spitting in Wally World around my neck of the woods. But then I suppose it could be worse.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast