DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hodad View Post
    Record hammock production at scout meeting 1.5 hours 5 hammocks.
    Not any more. It doesn't take any time at all to gather and whip ends. You'll spend most of your time working on suspension now. They have shorter, thinner tableclothes for smaller guys but 11 foot pretty much covers most of us. The seems are better then what I did, which must be the source of my "bands" when I go to get out of my DIY. I've always had pretty hard ridges on the edges making it harder to get out of. Not anymore. I did sew them pretty thick so there's no wonder why it feels like ropes on the edges.

There is a method of tying rope to the hammock that both ties the gather instead of whipping and leaves the rope hanging out the end for suspension. It's on youtube but I'm being youtube ignorant.

I realize this is much heavier than ripstop nylon but as far as packed size, what is the difference between the two?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Well, consider that it has half again as much area being 90 inches instead of 60, the wad is less then double I'd guess. It's bigger and the fabric is heavier. None of that matters for me as my usage is for every night sleeping.

OK, my DIY weighs 341 grams, the Tablecloth weighs 701 grams this is without any suspension. They both fit into the same stuff sack, which is 12 inches tall and flat is 9 inches, with room to spare. Of course there is quite a bit more with the DIY. You can however get a complete whoopy suspension into the bag though.

So it was twice as much but it's also 50 percent bigger. SO if it was the same size it would weigh 467 grams or 126 grams more. So that's not so bad.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Sweeeet! Thanks for sharing
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    For any other international folks out there, I found that shipping was a little pricey (minimum $40 to Australia just for one tablecloth, shipping alone), but I did find several similar stores. I ended up ordering from Leilani Wholesale, who charged me $13 for a 126" x 60" crinkle tablecloth (my sweet spot for size), and a further $12 for shipping. I'm pretty happy with that!
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Thank you for the information, I was just wondering about pack size in relation to ripstop nylon if it would be comparable if it was the two were the same size piece of fabric.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I would say packed size is pretty close to ripstop. Its a very strong fabric, and in my case works well. (I'm sewing insulation pockets in the bottom, so I need a strong fabric.) Is it on par with cuben fiber---NO! but its cheap, easy to work with, really strong, and comes prehemmed. As long as you realize that, and dont have any crazy un realistic expectations, you will be very happy with it!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    It's comfy, I'll tell ya that much. Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Usually I wake up about 3 and am finally coldish. The ceiling fan and the fan across my back finally have worked their magic against my still body and I get up, turn them off and put on some long sleeping pants n shirt. Did that Saturday morning out of habit. Sunday and last night I just straightened my lay up a little bit and flipped the fabric over me cutting the air from above. That's all it took. I have a thermal blanket that I hang over the ridgeline, that works well in the winter but it gets too warm this time of the year. It's still there though. My youngest dog likes the cave it makes and sleeps under the hammock all night.

Oh and yesterday my Grand-daughter came in and jumped in with me in the morning. If that didn't show how much room that there is in there my under the hammock dog, no small beastie there, decided it was time to climb in and join us. So there the three of us were my Grandbaby on one side and my dog on his back with his nose in my ear with room for my wife if she'd wanted to join and my eyehooks would hold. Plenty of room. My Granddaughter got hungry first. My dog, oh he was ready for another hour of sleep and it was a pain to get out for me. Every time I'd move he'd find a way to slide right into me, stinkin tail wagging, it was great fun for him.
    Last edited by MrClean417; 05-07-2012 at 07:42.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Oh and yesterday my Grand-daughter came in and jumped in with me in the morning. If that didn't show how much room that there is in there my under the hammock dog, no small beastie there, decided it was time to climb in and join us. So there the three of us were my Grandbaby on one side and my dog on his back with his nose in my ear with room for my wife if she'd wanted to join and my eyehooks would hold. Plenty of room. My Granddaughter got hungry first. My dog, oh he was ready for another hour of sleep and it was a pain to get out for me. Every time I'd move he'd find a way to slide right into me, stinkin tail wagging, it was great fun for him.
    That's adorable!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Tommy Hamamca XX Grande
    Tarp
    roof over my head!
    Insulation
    sleepnbag+blankets
    Suspension
    vario stand
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    It's comfy, I'll tell ya that much. Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Usually I wake up about 3 and am finally coldish. The ceiling fan and the fan across my back finally have worked their magic against my still body and I get up, turn them off and put on some long sleeping pants n shirt. Did that Saturday morning out of habit. Sunday and last night I just straightened my lay up a little bit and flipped the fabric over me cutting the air from above. That's all it took. I have a thermal blanket that I hang over the ridgeline, that works well in the winter but it gets too warm this time of the year. It's still there though. My youngest dog likes the cave it makes and sleeps under the hammock all night.

I love the idea of an indoor ridgeline to make a tent. I am going to try this right now
    Last edited by kibakichi37; 05-07-2012 at 23:19. Reason: spelling :O

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast