Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images

Questions

I am a little confused....nothing new.

Is this not the same Spectra cord sold on the Backpackinglight and Gossamer Gear sites?

Is it something different or just a larger load bearing capacity?

Images
    This is a little different, kind of. Check out the answers link that was posted. According to that this is the same as Spectra with a different manufactor process or brand name.

I ordered some of the Gossamer gear spectra. I think I got to 250 lbs test stuff. It was way to small for me to be able to knots and more importantly be able to untie them later.

The Armsteel stuff is about an 1/8" thick. I am able to tie and untie this stuff. Of course it is rated to 1300-1600 lbs. It's thinner than the stock spectra that came with my HH, but works for me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just bought a bunch of this 7/64s cord and would like to thread it through some paracord sheath, but I'm not sure of how to do it.

Has anyone done it, or have any advice? Thanks!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Paracord has strands of inner core inside. Cut open the paracord, use one of the strands to tie a taut-line hitch arund your new cord in such a way that the cord won't have to bend when you pull the sheath down. Then start a the other end and start sliding the sheath down, inch-worm style, off of the inner core and over the new cord.

Tie a knot or singe both ends with a lighter.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

For fear of over-reaching, and answering an unasked question, the real value of hollow cord over webbing or weaved cord is "fingertrapping." Modern skydiving brought us this pretty much; apart from 'square' canopies as being the obvious difference it is more important that they use cascading lines to pull it off (as an aside, silnylon was initially called Zero-P [P= porosity] fabric because it revolutionized glide ratios unheard of before; it stopped air seepage, and due to its slipperyness maybe reduced line over malfunctions, the most common malfunction. It was invented by a guy from a parachute manufacturing co. in Deland, Florida; he should be on a stamp...

Anyhow, fids (essentially big hollowed out needles) are the answer to the unasked question: Hollow line has to be simply inserted into the other hollow section you want to attach it to. It might be best to always do at least 5 inches ( in skydiving rigging ) and tack it right where it is inserted. However just a few inches is enough for most applications. The old 550 # paracord with the seven inside filaments isn't quite spectra but you can get the advantages of "fingertrapping" by judicious use of the outside sheath and capturing the seven filaments. just a thought...

I try to "finger trap" line whenever possible versus knotting in permanent applications. Plus, of course, the real cool part is in cascading, you can 'branch off' by going thru. the side of hollow sheath cord.

Maybe this is in the wrong thread...

Rick
    Last edited by daibutsu; 12-16-2007 at 09:02.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    The Armsteel stuff is about an 1/8" thick. I am able to tie and untie this stuff. Of course it is rated to 1300-1600 lbs. It's thinner than the stock spectra that came with my HH, but works for me.
    Hey Coffee - is the 1/8" stiff enough to use a garda hitch?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have the amsteel 7/64 that Coffee uses and I have had no success with the garda hitch. I have some covered in paracord sheath (PIA not worth the time) that worked and I got some 2.8 spyderwire that works great. The amsteel would flatten out without the sheath and slip. It would look like flat webbing after being in the rings.

if you get mason line big enough, could you use that as a sheath, or would it not be a good jacket?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Hey Coffee - is the 1/8" stiff enough to use a garda hitch?
    the uncovered line i have did not work with the garda, i suspect you need a covered line, possibly a really stiff line like the spyderline.

i saw some welded 1" triangles somewhere recently, i think they may be lighter than rings, and would probably work well with the garda. just a thought.

www.antigravitygear.com sells Spectra..not sure if it is what you are looking for. Here is the info from his page

SPL725 - Spectra Line - by the foot
    Spectra By the foot!

This extremely strong and ultra-light cord is great for use in bear bagging, tarp lashing, and tent guylines. With a tensile strength of 725 lbs. and a weight of .024 oz per foot this cord is perfect for people interested in shaving every possible gram from their packs!

This product is sold by the linear foot. Select the number of feet you want in the Qty box and we will cut it to your specified length.

example: You want a 5 foot length for a tent guyline, buy 5 items for a total of $2.25.
    Price: $0.45
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast