DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Bug Net Ethics

In a recent post I described bug nets as Permethrin distribution systems.

That's because I had spent considerable time that day soaking my three bug nets in a solution of the same.

I have to admit that I've enjoyed hearing the hmmm of a mosquito suddenly silenced by contact with a chemical problem solver.

But then upon reflection it felt bad. It raises an ethical dilemma, which I will now explore with the indulgence of the forums.

Putting yourself in the place of a mosquito (all life is sacred) ...

Would you rather die suddenly in ignorance of what you did wrong or suffer the torture of not reaching your goal all night long, which a non-treated net would ostensibly provide?

On the other hand ...

A mosquito that does not die instantly may work his way around to the tiniest opening. In addition, who knows the direction from which he may attack? The dumbest mosquito, making a direct shot to infrared heat may happen upon a hole!

Who knows how smart a mosquito might be? What if the smartest mosquito ever in the history of the world happened to be in the same place as you, wanted to drink your blood, and figured out how to do it?

But I've never seen a mosquito with a HAZMAT suit.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    11' DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Do not torture yourself over this quandary too long, as this is simply an extension of the natural order of things. Without your efforts, another camper would have to swat at one more or face a population explosion. Keep up the good work and remember they're reproducing as fast or faster than you're taking them out.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I murder ants, fleas, ticks and a exhusband. I encourage birds and bats to visit my property and eat their fill of insects. My cats and tiny dog catch and eat rodents.

I do not get stoned anymore, I have a full and challenging life, which translates to I do not ponder such questions as you propose. I have so many questions about managing my life to ponder the what ifs, like I did before adult life took over. Sorry no debate from me.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    At home I try not to disturb the household spiders, since they live there must be a lot of dead bugs which does not make me unhappy in the least.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Awesome debate and reflection! LOL
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I wouldn't feel bad dude, it's either them or us, and the mosquito is the single largest threat to mankind wiping out some 700,000 of us annually. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...t-killers.html

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    I wouldn't feel bad dude, it's either them or us, and the mosquito is the single largest threat to mankind wiping out some 700,000 of us annually. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...t-killers.html
    Ayup.

Ireland doesn't suffer having no snakes. ;-)
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY Double layer Hammock
    Images
    I live in Minnesota. The Mosquito is our unoffical state bird.
    All life is sacred? Yes, but above all other life, the human life is the most sacred, having been created in gods image.
    Man was put here to govern the earth and animals, in doing so we must maintain a balance.
    A Mosquito population out of control is a threat to all life.
    Living Minnesota! Great Land, lousy politics. But hey, my family is here so......

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I thoroughly enjoy laying in my hammock watching the little buggers land on the bugnet only to die within seconds and fall to the ground. Mosquitos, ticks and Cottonmouth Moccasins are all on my list of creatures that I don't have any qualms about taking out. Like KiwiMark I too like the spiders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    All life is Sacred, this is true.

The question is this: Is Human life more Sacred and, if so, do we protect it at the expense of other Creatures?

As noted above, mosquitoes have killed more humans than has war or communicable disease in recorded History. The trend has diminished in the developed world, but that has been at the expense of the mosquito (and collateral damage among its cousins). But the extent of the damaged can be surveyed by knowing that after just over a hundred years, we've brought the human death toll down to 700,000 a year.

I would say that if Science ever somes up with a preparation or concoction that makes the mosquito avoid human sources of blood, then---and only then---would we be remiss if we use products such as permethrin.

I take no joy in the death of any creature, but find solace in the knowledge that its death may mean that some other person at the same campsite remains healthy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast