DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR

EightD Downproofness

So guys, I'm thinking about making either a ultralight down TQ or UQ. I don't have tons of funds so Cuban is out of the question. M50 is kinda expensive but would be my choice for the UQ due to its top-of-its-class water resistance and wind-proofing. For the top quilt though I'd like something that is softer and drapes better. I've heard SevenD was amazing but it is not out of stock with no guarantees that it will come back in stock. That leads me to EightD. The weight is good and I've heard it is quite similar to the SevenD stuff. However, I've heard that the grey EightD leaks down which would be a deal breaker. My question is whether the Kelly Green or Tan EightD also leaks down. Has anyone made any down products out of these colors of EightD? Thanks, Chris
    In the words of the Great Mackey, "Never lose your elevation!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm glad you asked because I have the same question. I heard that there is a black 8D on its way to tiGoat.

Personally, I don't understand why the color would make any difference.

I agree that in any case, I would use M50 on the outer layer of an underquilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    I'm interested in this post too, because I'm trying to nail down a spec for my HG quilts order.

I've heard great things about the 7D but I've dropped it from my list because of the availability problem. I've also heard of the problems with the down-proof qualities of the 8D, so for now that's also on hold.

I'm going to go for M50 outers on both TQ & UQ, with M50 probably for the UQ inner, but was thinking about M90T for the TQ inner.

How does the M90T compare to 7D for feel? I know it won't be as nice, but is it the next best option?

I would like know if the problems with the grey 7D affect the other colours. As previously said, I can't see how colour would make any difference.

Sorry to the OP for going off track a little.

Mark

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I did some 8D research on BPL and a few people their made down items using the original Kelly green (rather hideous green) but no unusual leaking of down. A few reported a plume or two escaped but stated that their commercially made down jackets shed more down by comparison.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roe Ring View Post

I would like know if the problems with the grey 7D affect the other colours. As previously said, I can't see how colour would make any difference.

Sorry to the OP for going off track a little.

Mark
    Mark, 7D holds down with no problem. It's a wonderful fabric for quilts as long as they are not exposed to water. Hence my M50 preference for the outer layer of UQ.

But we are discussing 8D here in this thread.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I had some of the original 8d (i was on the group buy), but ended up selling it because I wasn't convinced of it's down proofness. I believe Tim Marshall didn't like it either. Now others have not had any problems with it. I believe Bloomgorge has an UQ that the inside is 8d and I haven't heard him complaining about it. I have a TQ for my daughter made out of M50, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. The 7d is great also, better feel, more like M90 but I can see where the cost would be a factor.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    What I heard is that each color of EightD was made in a separate run and that it wasn't the color itself that is effecting the down-proofness, but that the calendering is not well done. The real question is whether only the Grey run of EightD is affected by this problem or whether the Kelly Green and Tan runs are affected too. I know that the M50 would be a good alternate for the TQ fabric but it is about double the price of the EightD and I've heard that it doesn't feel as good against the skin.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Mark, 7D holds down with no problem. It's a wonderful fabric for quilts as long as they are not exposed to water. Hence my M50 preference for the outer layer of UQ.

But we are discussing 8D here in this thread.
    Sorry MAD777, I meant 8D.

Are 8D and M90T similar in feel?

Thanks

Mark

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisman2013 View Post
    What I heard is that each color of EightD was made in a separate run and that it wasn't the color itself that is effecting the down-proofness, but that the calendering is not well done. The real question is whether only the Grey run of EightD is affected by this problem or whether the Kelly Green and Tan runs are affected too.
    This makes it sound as if there is a general quality control problem at the manufacturer. If that's the case, who's to say that the next batch of green is going to be downproof just because the last run of green was downproof. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a game of Russian roulette!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    Originally Posted by Chrisman2013
    What I heard is that each color of EightD was made in a separate run and that it wasn't the color itself that is effecting the down-proofness, but that the calendering is not well done. The real question is whether only the Grey run of EightD is affected by this problem or whether the Kelly Green and Tan runs are affected too.
    This makes it sound as if there is a general quality control problem at the manufacturer. If that's the case, who's to say that the next batch of green is going to be downproof just because the last run of green was downproof. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a game of Russian roulette!
    Well that's just what I have come to think based off a collection of posts I've dug up on the forums. I have never used the fabric so this is not first hand info, just second hand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast