Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have a different method of traveling where weight isn't a huge concern.
    I'm certainly not a gram weenie, but maybe a kilo-gram weenie.

With that said, I always carry a bag of about 15kg of witch 90% I (normally) don't use. Stuff like tools, toiletries, medicine kit, water/fuel, clothes for cold and wet., etc.
    None of it is dead weight, but under optimum conditions it doesn't get used.
    I'd say it's an essential luxury

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    like DivaB i tend to get stuck on the "what if" i need it. i have gotten better with this but still find that i pack things that i have never used

i.e.
    - sewing kit
    - spare batteries
    - multi tool
    - back up water treatment (iodine pills)
    Hops

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Although I agree with a lot if not most in your post, too many people quote this.

Following this quote you should take THREE knives ..... to me that is overkill.

Remember other sayings/adages as:

improvise, adapt, overcome
    there is no shortcut for experience
    and
    if you need it and don't have it, you don't need it (R. Jardine afaik)

Now that last one, I mostly use to train myself to find different solutions. I too, used to carry multitool and a fixed blade knife and depending on trip axe or saw. Nowadays I try to get everything done with just a Mora (or equivalent), stimulates my brain... Next step ... flintknapping Just kidding....

Btw, good idea to list the items you didn't use. Think about the items you did use too and find different solutions or multi functional items. All that aside: HYOH and stuff...

Grtz Johan
    I carry three knives. Four if you count the one on the multi-tool. Six if you count the two X-Actos in the first aid kit.

1. Swiss Army knife
    2. Fixed blade skinner
    3. Gerber ASEK II

I've had occasion to use each. The SAK is with me constantly, and not a day goes by that I don't use t for something. It stays in my pants pocket.

I'll likely change out the skinner to something smaller---probably a Mora in a neck scabbard. Its a sentimental favorite. Its my "sharp knife" to be used when a very sharp blade essential.

The ASEK s for use in survival conditions and Ive modded it with 550 cord on the scabbard. The sabbard includes a whet stone. Its my "heavy knife". I've used it as a hatchet/machete, saw, spear tip, and hammer.

Te most essential thing you have in the woods is a blade. Nothing in the world can replace it. Carry one knife and lose it, ou're in a world of hurt.

There's a tactial rule that an be adapted to survival situations: "Do not prepare for the enemy's intentions, prepare for his apabilities."

The way I overcame and adapted was to adapt my carry habits to overcome the capabilities of the wilderness. Doing that ahead of time insures that I have the tool required when I need it.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by grich9860 View Post
    like DivaB i tend to get stuck on the "what if" i need it. i have gotten better with this but still find that i pack things that i have never used

i.e.
    - sewing kit
    I'm not too worried about the weight or bulk of my sewing kit...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Roaming Gnome custom
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG & Marmot
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    Must be those fancy hollow needles

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    It's all relative, you have to consider your environment, weather conditions and length of stay. The mere fact of not having used an item doesn't justify leaving it behind. If it's repeatedly not used, then it should be considered for abandonment. I find the concept of replacing an item with a lighter weight item appealing. This process over time has dropped many a pound off on my backpack's weight. Your choice of clothing and foods can also reduce your pack's weight considerably. It's a constant and sometimes "costly" process. As you go out and meet others and share ideas, you learn; you also have to be willing to experiment with new ideas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123