Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Final thoughts

This was indeed a great trip with a fine crew. I wish I'd had more time to talk with Lukesteg and Ebola and Country Roads and Puckerfactor and Singing Otter and Strung2tite and David and, well, everybody. The Sods are different each time I go there, and it's not always possible to plan for leisurely sharing of ideas around a campfire, but I love to see and hear Red Creek roaring down its course, so the rain is still a blessing. (Actually I love it more when I've just completed my last crossing and the sun comes out.) I'd hoped to see more wildflowers, but expect I just wasn't looking with enough care or in the right places. PF, how was DS North this trip?

CB & Adia, Maztrain & Firefly, great hiking with you as always. Nice to meet Dwight, also Max. Momo, I'm a big fan. Bearchaser and Ferret, you provided safety along the trail and in camp (no bears to speak of this trip) and good company along the way. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Sorry for the late post: Yard work, sick doggy.
    I just want to start by saying thankee to USMCStang for setting this up!
    This was my first group hang and I really enjoyed it.
    The hike in via Blackbird Knob trail was mostly uneventful; busted my butt on slick rocks crossing Alder Run, but other than that, all was good.
    Got to camp around noonish and first one I saw was Momo and then her people; I knew that all would be well. Momo is one sweetie of a dog. The hike up to Rocky Ridge was way wet, but still an enjoyable one.

I did not "batten down the hatches" before leaving camp, but the wind did not pick up so I did not get spanked for that mistake. I know that area well enough to know better, but I was taken in by the weather "forecast".

I really enjoyed meeting folks. A light rain started up in the evening and I really did not want to wet out my down jacket, so I decided to chill in the hammock for a bit. Well, ya know what happens when you lay in your hammock; sleepy time. I woke up in the dark with the patter of rain on the tarp.
    I want to thank everyone for the nice first group hang.
    BearChaser: my order went in Sunday night for the Whoopie hooks.
    WV: Got my mesh disc made for the "salad course".
    Maz: hope you be feeling better. I really liked meeting your Dad, He is very nice.
    Firefly: It was great to finally meet you.
    Momo: you one sweet pup
    To everyone I did not get to chat up (yeah I like to talk, sometimes too much): It was a nice time and hopefully we can do it again.

Hammock
    HH ULEA w/2QZQ
    Tarp
    OES 12X10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    DIY momen/PL TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Friday- Dave and I arrived friday afternoon at the FR80 entrance. We really didnt know what to expect, it being both of our first times backpacking. It was very wet but also very enjoyable. We made our way down to Friday nights campsite. Met up with UsmcStang, Lukesteg, Ebola, and Ferret. WV arrived shortly afterwards. I checked out everyones hammocks, including WVs, which is truely awsome. Spent time at the camp fire with Ferret waiting up to see if Cranky bear, Adia, and Max would show up, which I really enjoyed.

Saturday- Dave and I hiked back up Big Stonecoal - Rocky Ridge - Harmon - Blackbird Knob to Saturdays campsite taking side excusions along the way. We both really enjoyed the views up on the open plains. We heard a rattle snake and then later a pheasant hen jumped up and flew away ( about scared the crap out of me< LOL), about 5 feet from us (awsome). I wish I would have brought my 6 month old field bred spinger spaniel " Trigger" along seeing there was upland game birds for him to have fun with. We arrived at the campsite on the opposite side of the creek as the others(BearChaser, Coutry Roads, Momo, Maztrain, firefly, and others. Made a nice fire , which was drenched right away by rain. Shortly aferwards Pucker Factor, Singer Otter, and their two dogs waided across and made camp. Dave made friends with the two dogs and played fetch with them. I do wish it was a bit more dry Sat evening, so I could have hung out with all of you more...

Sunday- We hiked back to our car. Dave and I had a really great time. We are already planning to head up to the roaring plains soon. Thanks to everyone for sharing their company and companionship with us......
    Last edited by strung2tite; 05-08-2012 at 18:50.
    Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    You're quite the writer WV .. I really missed you at the MAHHA .. wished I coulda' strung my hike to include this hang as well .. after reading your report .. even more so ... get a chance check out mine .. see ya sometime old buddy ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Images
    Strung2tite: you will love the roaring area! For a nice hang; go up the pipeline (actually go towards Smith Mountain, not towards the radio tower. go all the way to the lowest point you can see, then head on a nice trail that shoots off towards your right. You will come to a nice site for tents or hammocks.
    You might already be aware of this trail - canyon rim trail.
    Also some nice places to hang on roaring plains trail just before it joins up with Flat rock run trail. Nice spruces (might be balsam fir, I am not sure) on either side of the trail. you might want to carry water from the stream at the beginning of roaring plains trail, since water can be hard to come by if it is dry.

This is one of my favorite places, especially if the Sods area is crowded.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Images
    Great trip reports everyone!! So glad to see that HF members are all about some 'Sods!

I hope that you guys can get another trip going sometime soon, say, mid summer when it's blistering hot here out east & go for a Red Creek swim...feels GREAT! I'd love to meet you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    Strung2tite: you will love the roaring area! For a nice hang; go up the pipeline (actually go towards Smith Mountain, not towards the radio tower. go all the way to the lowest point you can see, then head on a nice trail that shoots off towards your right. You will come to a nice site for tents or hammocks.
    You might already be aware of this trail - canyon rim trail.
    Also some nice places to hang on roaring plains trail just before it joins up with Flat rock run trail. Nice spruces (might be balsam fir, I am not sure) on either side of the trail. you might want to carry water from the stream at the beginning of roaring plains trail, since water can be hard to come by if it is dry.

This is one of my favorite places, especially if the Sods area is crowded.

What Country Roads says is true. Be aware however that the beginning of the Canyons Rim Trail is a bit difficult to follow. You might want to GPS it. This trail (unofficial) is one of my favorite on the Mon. Conversely, the Roaring Plains Trail is one of my least favorite. Maybe the first time on it is okay since its new but to me it is boring, monontinous, and hard on the feet. The hanging spot CR speaks of is known to some of us as the Horse Camp. I have tented there before and agree that it would be a great spot to hang. In dry periods the water is difficult to find but right now there should be plenty of puddles and seeps along the way but I would carry extra water just in case. Enjoy the Plains, they're unique.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Thinking about an overnight on horseback with my daughter (she's a hammocker).
    What area around the Sod's would be good for horseback?? (not to steep or rocky).
    I saw pics of what looks like open meadows??

Thanks,
    Slack

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Thinking about an overnight on horseback...
    What area around the Sod's would be good for horseback?? (not to steep or rocky).
    I saw pics of what looks like open meadows??

Thanks,
    Slack
    The ecosystem in this particular area is very fragile, and horses cause twenty times the amount of damage to trails as a human foot-- substantially worse if the conditions are wet, which they frequently are. On behalf of myself and many people on this forum, we would ask you to please refrain from taking your horse into such a delicate, high altitude environment.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator 20

Video

Better late than never. Hope y'all don't mind me waisting 13 minutes of your life. I'm sure you all have seen WV's cuban fiber hammock already, but have you seen his stove and stand? I very much enjoyed this trip for both the scenery and the company. I learned a lot of valuable lessons this trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast