DIY
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Favorite way to hang a tarp?

Hey, I have been using the HH system for years, and I am finally moving away from it. I made my own hammock a while back and recently bought a Warbonnet Edge tarp. I have tried stringing up the tarp a few different ways using ropes that I have lying around, and I am trying to figure out a good system. I hike far, so a lightweight system is best, but I also tend to set up late so a simplistic system is a bonus. Essentially, I am looking for a set-up that combines lightweight+ease. (What are the different pieces of hardware that work? What exactly is Zing-it/Lash-it? etc. Is a full ridgeline worth the weight because of the ease of setup?)

Thanks for any input!

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i use zing it with a spliced loop on one end that i larkshead to the tarp and, tarp flyz from dutch, super easy and very lightweight

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe & WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 0° Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies or ropes
    After some times with the classic hennessy method, I switched to a separate ridgeline. I use a bowline at one end a trucker's hitch at the other, and prussik knots to clip the tarp. I like knots, it is very easy to set up and even easier to adjust.

(side note: &l€tjdhdhaaaarg i try tapatalk and ncncnchdsbhscbhbyc this autocorrect thing is annoying...)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Agree with pendule, this is real easy and fast.

Hammock
    Hennessy 'Deep Jungle' (Zip)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator/UK Hmx
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've just got what I reckon is the dogs cahoonahs of set ups. I have a lashit ridge line with 2 clips on lashit prussiks that I clip my HHex tarp to. I hang it under the line so as to make the most of the cat cut. At one end I gots me a Dutch hook and the other I have a Dutch fly on a lashit prussik. It all works so well. Then I have larksheadded a lashit loop to each tie out ring and prussiked them around the tie outs (actually, you have to do the prussiks first then larkshead the whole lot). At the other end of the tie outs I have a loop. So now my tarp is super movable and each tie out is unbelievably easy to adjust. So much better than tying the tarp to the trees and trying to thread line locks. It's the best thing I've learned (thanks Flatfishy).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    i use zing it with a spliced loop on one end that i larkshead to the tarp and, tarp flyz from dutch, super easy and very lightweight

boot
    I do what Boothill described, although if doing it now I'd probably be trying a two piece ridgeline using the new Dutch Stingerz.

Tarp rigging is fun and relatively inexpensive, enjoy!

David

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'm a knot guy, but I don't shy away from trying all the hardware options out there. I swore by end-only guy lines for years, but also recommend the continuous ridge line too.

I drew up this illustration that hopefully clarifies some finer points of hanging a tarp:

> http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16650

As to your question, I like the GoLite poncho tarp. I just got the 2012 model that weighs only 7 oz. I pitch it as an asym tarp, just like the Hennessy stock tarp. I camped over the weekend and used this tarp with the new DutchWare Stinger hardware clips.

> http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/dutch-flyz/

I like the mechanical advantage I get with the "stinger" on the end, and the carabiner end makes it easy to connect to the tarp.

Through the night, the wind really picked up. No rain in the forecast, but the wind was killer. I dropped the poncho to protect the windy side. The carabiner clip made it easy to switch the tie-out used and I was back hanging in a flash.

As for knots, I just need the basic Boy Scout knots I teach my troop: Two half-hitches to the tarp, then wrap the line around the tree and back through the loop with the hitch to create a "V". Threaded through the tie out, I can go over or under the tarp to create a continuous ridge line to the other end. Thread through the opposite tie-out, around the tree (another "V" created), and then a taut-line hitch tied to adjust the line.

You can substitute hardware anywhere along the line, but knots work fine too.

One thing I like about the continuous ridge line is that I can tie it up first and separate from the tarp and then clip the tarp in place afterwards. The advantage of this for me is that I can ensure my tarp doesn't touch the ground (it's a little harder with end-only tie-outs at times to keep everything off the ground.
    Last edited by dejoha; 05-07-2012 at 17:31.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Oh, for line, I prefer the inexpensive braided mason line from Home Depot. I like the price, the brilliant yellow color, light weight, and small pack size. I also find that the mason line doesn't tangle as much as Zing-It or Lash-It.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I throw mine above me and yell "abracadabra"!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    dejoha, I still can't visualise the Vee method with a continuous line... help?

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast