Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tall person hammock advice

Hello folks... I am a 6'5 tall guy at around 200 pounds and I recently picked up an Eno Singlenest. I took it out on a hike to test it out in the San Gabriels a few days back to see if I like it enough to bring on an overnighter. The plan was to try using a sleeping pad in it - but that did not work so well. It was comical watching me get in the Hammock with the pad in there and it did not fit well at all. However, the hammock was very comfortable by itself.

1st question: I am debating on whether I should exchange the singlenest for the doublenest. I feel Like being as tall as I am that there is really no 'footbox' or 'headbox' for me in the singlenest. Add in some sort of insulation, a top quilt or sleeping bag, bugs nest, and it may be a bit crammed in there for me to sleep.

2nd question: Should I abandon the Eno altogether and go for another hammock system? Can someone recommend me one that may be roomier with a more distinct headbox and footbox? I would like to stay under $175 for a quality hammock and bug netting option. I have a tarp, sleeping bag for top quilt, cordage if needed and can wait on an underquilt and use foam when I cut it to a better fit.
    Last edited by beactivelife; 05-07-2012 at 23:53.

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    Can't go wrong with the Warbonnet Blackbird. And, I believe it is in your price range.
    Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak.

“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ” ― Khalil Gibran

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    I'm 6'3" or so and I recently picked up a wilderness logics lite owl ($125 with suspension included) . It has pretty defined head and foot boxes due to small sections of shock cord in the edges of it. It lays really flat and I am able to stretch out in it which I was unable to do with my eno. It's also a double layer hammock so using a pad is pretty simple. It just gets sandwiched in between so it's less to wrestle with. As for bug net there are some great diy options for cheap but I'm using the hug bug net from arrowhead ($37) and am happy so far. It's not a full net but it makes watering the shrubs alot easier in the wee hours of the morn.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Take a look at buttinasling.com. I think they make longer wider hammocks.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I switched over to an 11' hammock with a 9' ridgeline and 5' wide. For your Ht, I think u would be more comfy...

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Im 6'7-8" i use a Blackbird and Just ordered a BIAS. Ive also used a WL LO. I didnt really like the 11' hammocks...too much...I like the foot box Idea. Ill let ya know on my BIAs...its 10.5x64" with a knotty mod.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Do you want total comfort....or are you looking to keep things light weight? If you want total comfort get yourself a taffeta 12' or 11' and lash the ends. Lots of room and money left over to get your underquilts and bugnetting. http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Se...rinkle+taffeta

Thanks, I may take a look at the Warbonnet Blackbird and check into some 11 foot designs too. Time to research research research....

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomePatrol View Post
    I'm 6'3" or so and I recently picked up a wilderness logics lite owl ($125 with suspension included) . It has pretty defined head and foot boxes due to small sections of shock cord in the edges of it. It lays really flat and I am able to stretch out in it which I was unable to do with my eno. It's also a double layer hammock so using a pad is pretty simple. It just gets sandwiched in between so it's less to wrestle with.
    +1 on the Wilderness Logic's hammocks. They are 11 foot long and tall people like the extra length, seems to solve a lot of comfort issues rather than a wider hammock. The shock cord sides at foot & shoulder solves the floppy side issues too where the TQ can fall out. Also their hammocks come with Whoopie Slings & Tree Straps and a two ended stuff sack.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Do you want total comfort....or are you looking to keep things light weight? If you want total comfort get yourself a taffeta 12' or 11' and lash the ends. Lots of room and money left over to get your underquilts and bugnetting. http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Se...rinkle+taffeta
    How much of a weight difference am I looking at in a DIY Tablecloth design like that? The Eno Singlenest is about 18 ounces with carabiners, 20 ounces or so with straps. I dont mind a bit of extra weight but dont want to be lugging around 2 lbs just for the hammock either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast