Quote Originally Posted by Tamah View Post
Hey Dejoha.
How ironic, I just got your book on Amazon and am currently reading it (great book by the way). Last night I left off on the page about the continuous ridgeline. I like this design better though, because there is no carabineer required.
Also, what do you think about the idea of a structural ridgeline to help absorb a widowmaker strike? (a disaster which hopefully will never happen). The ridgeline would have to be secured tightly to the tree and independent of the tarp.
I only posted here once before, and I included pictures from my almost disaster along with my thoughts on how a structural ridgeline might have helped.
Take a look and let me know what you think.[/url]
Hey Tom! Thanks for getting the book!

I saw your picture -- wow! I'm glad you weren't in there. Widowmakers are a serious threat and sometimes they come out of the blue. Looking up and around before pitching a hammock (or tent!) is one of the best ways to stay clear.

In the photo you sent, you were very lucky it was a tree/branch of that diameter. I don't think any small cord tied as a ridgeline would stop a crash like that. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it as a safety feature (like a crash bar for a hammock). It sound good, but I don't know if it is sound judgement or an alternative to good site selection.