Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

sycamore loop

Sycamore Loop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the Peninsula trail last weekend,I went on the sycamore loop. Due to my lack paying attention I ended up overdoing it and did not hang there that night, tho the two most perfect spots I have seen yet were there! I was truly miffed at myself for passing them up!
    So the sycamore is a hikers only trail in the Charles deam wilderness, starting out on a gravel road about 1/4 mile in is the turn off onto the trail. to the right is the first campsite, nice but no water supply and real close to the combined terril ridge and sycamore loop trailhead. Continue down the trail and the first mile or so is swtchbacks down to the creek where right after you cross the first time is awesome site by the creek and small clearing. The second site is set off the trail but marked which imo is the best nestled among big pines and next to the creek seemed to be perfect. ( this is my first mistake thinking im good and these sites get better ) walking and criss crossing the creek among abundant flora and magnifcent trees the third site was nice but didnt look to have a good choice of hanging trees. ( second mistake not making time to really check it out) ONward to the fourth where by now i decided that it was mine but aloas a family was there.adn thats where the trail turns and heads out of the floor and back up. no climbs real steep but steady. some marvelous forest to walk thru. at the top there was another campsite but the pond was pretty stagnat and the trees around the site had widowmakers( ahh good decision) . and then about another mile or so your back on the gravel road. go north to another pond and the terril cemetary or south back to the begining.. that is what i did by this time ten miles in one day w 40 lb pack (30 on this trail ) blisters on my feet and swollen i thought better get to truck and as luck would have it two decent climbs on the road itself! hehehehe
    so all in all a good hike and one i want to do again badly but from what i hear once summer sets water is rare in the creek.

Attached Thumbnails
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mountainhanger; 05-09-2012 at 09:32.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

• + New Posts