Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

sycamore loop

Sycamore Loop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the Peninsula trail last weekend,I went on the sycamore loop. Due to my lack paying attention I ended up overdoing it and did not hang there that night, tho the two most perfect spots I have seen yet were there! I was truly miffed at myself for passing them up!
    So the sycamore is a hikers only trail in the Charles deam wilderness, starting out on a gravel road about 1/4 mile in is the turn off onto the trail. to the right is the first campsite, nice but no water supply and real close to the combined terril ridge and sycamore loop trailhead. Continue down the trail and the first mile or so is swtchbacks down to the creek where right after you cross the first time is awesome site by the creek and small clearing. The second site is set off the trail but marked which imo is the best nestled among big pines and next to the creek seemed to be perfect. ( this is my first mistake thinking im good and these sites get better ) walking and criss crossing the creek among abundant flora and magnifcent trees the third site was nice but didnt look to have a good choice of hanging trees. ( second mistake not making time to really check it out) ONward to the fourth where by now i decided that it was mine but aloas a family was there.adn thats where the trail turns and heads out of the floor and back up. no climbs real steep but steady. some marvelous forest to walk thru. at the top there was another campsite but the pond was pretty stagnat and the trees around the site had widowmakers( ahh good decision) . and then about another mile or so your back on the gravel road. go north to another pond and the terril cemetary or south back to the begining.. that is what i did by this time ten miles in one day w 40 lb pack (30 on this trail ) blisters on my feet and swollen i thought better get to truck and as luck would have it two decent climbs on the road itself! hehehehe
    so all in all a good hike and one i want to do again badly but from what i hear once summer sets water is rare in the creek.

Attached Thumbnails
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mountainhanger; 05-09-2012 at 09:32.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    We hiked Sycamore in the winter. Nice trail. I suggest hiking it the opposite direction to end up at the campsites toward the end instead of the beginning.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I hike it continually with the dog and a full pack load just for a workout before tripping out of state..its the cleanest of them all in my opiniion and away from the horse trails which are always a mess no matter what time of the year. Just be careful during the hunting seasons as your close to hunters especially during deer season.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    I live only 30 minutes from there.....hike it as much as i can. Love it.
    If you bypass the loop, and go north, you will come to the grave yard....pretty cool place, and just West of that was the site of the Halloween Hang....

Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    If you look at a map of the Sycamore Loop Trail. You will notice inside the loop is a small valley. Due to it's shape it is referred to as Crescent Valley. It is off the trail so it is a bushwhack. Beautiful small out of the way place where one can usually find solitude.
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad

Just did the Sycamore this weekend

Great trail! Much easier going than the Grubb Ridge Loop (or maybe the poles and better conditioning this time out helped). I did it in the opposite direction, starting off in the direction of Terrill Cemetery, and had the luck of nabbing the campsite by the creek with the raised firepit and makeshift benches. Hiked out at 5am after getting woken up by the rain. Had a little trouble spotting the trail on one of the creek crossings, but otherwise went smoothly.

• + New Posts