Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks, I was thinking about something like your example A with hardware but I was going to make both ends adjustable. After the discussion here, I think I will first try with just the one adjustable end and see how it goes. I am not packing the hammock so weight isn't a concern for me. One difference I plan to try is to tie the biner to the RL on the adjustable side so I can loop it around the tree and clip it to the prussik and tarp in one motion. Then I can hang the tarp without tying any knots.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Just keep em coming. They are the best, esp for us visual types.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    AMEN to that!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    I tried this method yesterday. I found the prussik difficult to slide because it was under pressure from both the RL and the total weight of the tarp. I used mason line for the prussik, on black niteize RL. This may not be an ideal combination. It wasn't bad adjusting the location of the tarp, but not my preference, in part because it means friction between the tree and line. There was some benefit from the V at the ends, which was the original point of this discussion. I guess I would prefer to just put up the RL, tighten it, then attach the tarp to prussiks at either end. This avoids reclipping and readjusting the entire line. I would still need to find a way to create the V's. Maybe a knot bone? A tautline hitch is one way to create one of the V's, but then we are back to knots. Make sense?

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Dejoha,
    I dont see what you are doing as shamelessly plugging your book.
    I see it as selflessly sharing information. Great information at that.

I have a comment about making both ends adjustable.
    Generally, I say simpler is better.
    But, I saw a video on here where someone adjusted the height of their tarp from "Stand up high" to "Here comes bad weather low". They did this by putting slack in the ridgeline and then re-pegging the bottom of the tarp.

I think adjustable on both ends would facilitate the adjust your ridgeline to adjust your tarp height. Maybe its doesnt make it any easier. I have not tried to adjust my height this way so any comments are welcome.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Just working this out in my head, but hear me out. I was thinking you could put a knot-bone where you felt it was appropriate to form the 'v' and hook a dutch hook on the hammock side after going around the tree. The bone would simply be acting as a stop for the hook. Then place a tarp fly on the other end. Slide it to the appropriate distance to form the other 'v'. The Bone and Fly could be moved based on the distance between the trees. For ease of adjustment it would be a good idea to have the tarp attached to prussiks or klimheists on either end to move laterally, but that would be the extent of the knots.
    That make any sense at all?

I currently use a TW Hornet, so my tarp ridgeline is above my hammock suspension, so I don't really have to worry about the 'v'. I'm just curious if this might work because I already have the dutch hook attached to one end of my ridgeline and a dutch fly on the other. If I used one of my ENOs it would be easy to wrap a knot bone where I wanted the hook to stop to make a 'v' on that end. Hope that makes it a bit easier to see.

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I use a hybrid of this setup that works very well for me, maintaining a continuous ridge line.

Materials:
    3 Dutch hooks
    1 Dutch Stingerz
    4 prussiks
    40 Ft of Zing it

I have a hook on one end of the line, which clips onto a prussik sliding on the line. This would be my "fixed" end in your illustration. This allows me to set the perfect V for my hammocks suspension on that end, by adjusting its position. This is not used to tension the line.

Then the Stingerz is threaded onto the Zing it via the small hole in the end, and rides on the "adjustable" end of the line. The biner half of the Stingerz then clips onto a prussik that is riding on the ridge line (as per your example). The difference is, since the singerz is just threaded on the line, the tension is then added by using the line catch of the stinger and can be set extremely tight. The prussiks just set the V's on either end, not the overall tension.

The tarp is then simply attached by 2 more prussiks that have a Dutch hook captured in the loop. That allows use of a single ridgeline to be modular to any tarp. The hooks simply thread through the tie out of the tarp and clip back onto themselves. This allows the tarp to be tensioned and moved to properly cover the hammock.

I have spent quite a bit of time working on this setup, after reading many, many posts on HF. I can have my hammock from the backpack to properly tensioned on the tree in under a minute. I tie zero knots, and have unlimited adjustability to suit any hang. Plus, the setup weighs next to nothing and packs insanely small.

Hope this helps someone!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    On one end I use a Bloomgorge Tarp Cross on a prussic for adjustability; on the other end I use a Bloomgorge Tarp Key. I made 1.75 soft-shackle prussics to attach to the tarp. Seems pretty light and easy to work with to me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    I use a hybrid of this setup that works very well for me, maintaining a continuous ridge line.

Materials:
    3 Dutch hooks
    1 Dutch Stingerz
    4 prussiks
    40 Ft of Zing it

I have a hook on one end of the line, which clips onto a prussik sliding on the line. This would be my "fixed" end in your illustration. This allows me to set the perfect V for my hammocks suspension on that end, by adjusting its position. This is not used to tension the line.

Then the Stingerz is threaded onto the Zing it via the small hole in the end, and rides on the "adjustable" end of the line. The biner half of the Stingerz then clips onto a prussik that is riding on the ridge line (as per your example). The difference is, since the singerz is just threaded on the line, the tension is then added by using the line catch of the stinger and can be set extremely tight. The prussiks just set the V's on either end, not the overall tension.

The tarp is then simply attached by 2 more prussiks that have a Dutch hook captured in the loop. That allows use of a single ridgeline to be modular to any tarp. The hooks simply thread through the tie out of the tarp and clip back onto themselves. This allows the tarp to be tensioned and moved to properly cover the hammock.

I have spent quite a bit of time working on this setup, after reading many, many posts on HF. I can have my hammock from the backpack to properly tensioned on the tree in under a minute. I tie zero knots, and have unlimited adjustability to suit any hang. Plus, the setup weighs next to nothing and packs insanely small.

Hope this helps someone!
    Pix please!

Derek,

I purchased your book via Amazon. I reading it on my iPad 3.

It's a really good book and has answered a lot of my questions.

The only problem are the illustrations. When I blow them up, they're jagged. The illustration that you have above is really good, and would make the book even better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast