Thread: Australia

Australia

Are there any other aussies out there with some advice for the rest of us.

Mainly best place to get equipment. Kelly's base camp is good (http://www.kellysbasecamp.com.au/). There's heaps more other people can post.

I'm looking for somewhere I can get some 2-part spreader bars

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle/Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rings / Whoopies
    Images
    Hi mate,

There's a few Aussies here, which is great as in my experience it's rare to find another hammock camper when out trekking! I'm in the NT, and haven't seen anothere one in any of the many trips I've done here. As for equipment, it depends what you are after. A lot of mine was originally ordered from overseas, however Jeff at Australian Motorcycle Touring Crew (http://www.amtcgear.com.au/ ) is now an agent for DD Hammocks and Tarps here in Oz - he has great prices and fantastic customer service, and stocks all the basics ti get you started in the hammock world (ropes, rings etc).

Re spreader bars it depends on your Hammock type. Personally, I just use aluminium arrow shafts that have been measured and cut to length (and filed to remove sharp edges) - they are tough, cheap and very lightweight. I just stuck a pair for my Claytor Jungle hammock in my backpack on a recent trek in Borneo, and they survived both airport transit in Singapore and Malaysia, a few hours of bouncing around in the back of a 4x4, and being crammed into a long dugout canoe trip, as well as the extreme camp conditions we were in. And if they bend slightly, just bend them back ! Dowel cut to length is also a cheap option. I have a set of pro made spreaders for my backup DD frontline hammock (the new model DD's apparently come with them now), and although they are well made they are still a tad heavy if you are into lightweight hanging and are a gram counter like me.

Kelly's base camp have a great range, but some of their gear can be a bit more expensive that ordering it from overseas, but on the plus they are local for ease of returns etc.

Hope this helps - feel free to message me if you have any queries ! Dave

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL & Sydney Arbor Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    Here's the info about where all the bits and pieces I used to to make my bridge hammock came from: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...716#post593716.

The alu tubing from Bunnings seems fine at the foot end, but wasn't strong enough at the head end. It was interesting when it gave way though. I've got a three-piece bar at the head end and a two-piece at the foot, with all the sections more or less the same length and short enough to tuck into the pack.
    善行無轍迹
    The skilful traveller leaves no traces of his wheels or footsteps
    -Lao Tzu

Thanks, very helpful. amtc is now definitely on my list for great sites.

Is quest outfitters US? I cant imagine shipping would be much fun...

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Not for spreaderbars, but check out http://www.terrarosagear.com/- they're based in Sydney.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps
    You should be able to get a tent pole repair kit from your local camping store. Buy the 4 or 6mm kit & you'll be able to make quite a few spreaders just like the DD ones.

And another happy customer of AMTC

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle/Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Rings / Whoopies
    Images
    Hey again J Hammock - don't be afraid to diconsider US shipping as it is usually VERY competive. Australia Post charges via the 'potential cubic capacity' of a parcel, whereas US post (and they have a lot more options than in oz) generally dosen't. Example - a while back I ordered a backpack from the US which came in at over $150 cheaper than Oz...and airmail postage was only US $30. I had the pack within a week, but found it wasn't quite what I wanted. No probs...I sold it in Oz on Ebay for was over $50...due to the fricking Aust Post cubic rule...and it took twice as long to get from Darwin to Syd via road...than it did from MidWest US to Darwin. In short...always check the US postage system...most sellers are really good with their international pricing, while a small number are pirates (but pirates who are probbaly still cheaper than Aust Post). Thats why AMTC are so good - $14 bucks postage Oz wide up to $100 purchase value and then free postage over the $100 mark - you can't beat that !

Hammock
    DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps
    And if you've got a few things or bulky items you want to bring in- http://www.shipito.com/shop-pricing

• + New Posts