WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    LOL @ Hooch! I divorced someone who likes guns & camping & live with just the opposite now - well thats another jerry springer show.

on to the OP. coming from a female who is a tom boy my advice may be about as good as some of the men here.

besides bugs - what is it that she does not find fun?
    What are your wife's interests?

if she agrees to try camping...
    clothing is important. have fun shopping for clothing to help keep the bugs away, to stay warm/dry.

perhaps find a place where you can camp & go visit a nearby attraction that she may enjoy - do it as an overnight at first.

pick a place that may not be crowded with other people. something with pretty surrounding near water. If she doesn't like fishing don't take fishing gear & dont talk about it. However, if she likes photography or bike riding for example - do that. take her for a canoe ride? Its all about HER! - make it some what romantic? (this is where I lake skills)

A bug net perhaps tied to a low branch to make a nice eating area might give a relaxing mood while eating or reading a book. use a ground cloth to make a nice picnic blanket.

if not at a park like area where you dont have facilities. create a private designated private space.

food & snacks are also important. keep it simple but bring comfort food.

Good luck!

PS. oldgringo has a point. Acceptance. I know many couples who have never taken a vacation together & are married many many yrs. She goes to the spa & he goes camping. it is what it is. probably why they are married so many yrs! - and as long as they accept your time away & vice versa. all is good.

Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My wife was already into camping, but thought hammocks were silly...until I hung mine in the bedroom and had her sleep in it one night...now she is sold on hammocks

Hammock
    WBRR, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoop/Dutch
    Images
    Take plenty of bug candles and tiki torches and car camp in a nice place with her and the kids,,and like the others say,,baby steps..take in state or a nat. park for your first outing. Something you think will peak her interests.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    heres a simple formula:

get started simply. hang in the yard or a park, taking small naps when you can.

be bug prepared. if youre doing as i mentioned above, then most likely bugs wont be too much an issue, but have a plan in mind in case its a concern of hers or becomes and issue. a bug net on hand can assuage those fears some, as is the knowledge of how to properly use it.

be helpful. since shes new to hammocks, offer to setup the hammock for her and help her adjust it to her comfort level, making it hassle free for her. if she wants to do it alone, have her watch you setup yours and just quietly watch her. help when she asks.

have a backup plan. if she is ok with a tent, but isnt sure on hammocks, have a simple to use tent as a backup in the car (when possible) in case she just doesnt feel it. even setting it up before bed could be better, so you dont have to put up a tent in the middle of the night if that happens and she feels like theres a safety net "in case"

keep in mind that everyone, not just women, has reservations about something like a hammock. you are generally more exposed to everything (bugs, critters, elements) in a hammock than a tent, and since its new it throws that wrench in there too. doing anything you can to ease those fears goes a long way.

when all else fails, promise her jewelry
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

2014 Fall Sprawl Planning Thread
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...GER-amp-BETTER!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    camping to my wife is a 4 star hotel with room service LOL
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 w/footbox and zip bugnet
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    baby steps... my wife thought i was nuts for hammock camping...then the kids started asking for them...then i made her one but just got her to try it for 5 minutes in the back yard...she didnt seem impressed...I made 2 more...then we went camping with our Cub Scouts...I asked if I could use hers since she was gonna sleep in the lodge...nope...I hung hers in the lodge ...now we are talking about what to do with our twin girls (just about 3) if we are all in hammocks ... she isnt so sure that I could get them to sleep in a hammock
    I never pressured her to sleep in it...i just made it for her and had it with me...actually it was more comfortable than the one I had at that time (i have since made myself another )
    Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. ~Author Unknown
    I seem to have lots of experience for my age

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict
    The idea of camping for many wives is the unexciting prospect of having to do everything at home - but without appliances, indoor plumbing, or running water.

While I may never get her out backpacking, Mrs. McRat looks forward to car camping trips knowing that all the cooking, cleaning, and kid herding is my job for that weekend.

It's a small gesture and I prefer camp chores to home chores any day.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    My GF is the same. Scared to death of bugs, can't understand why anyone would want to leave the comfort of central air and cable television.

I started by taking her to local parks for "picnics" I would set up both hammocks and make sure that her only choices for sitting were the bug ridden ground, the truck which maybe 100yards away or the relative security of the hammock & bugnet. It didn't take long for her to decide the hammock was the lesser of the evils. This past weekend we went out to a state park for the day and I practically had to beat her to get her out of my Blackbird. She likes it alot more than the WB Traveler I got for her. And NO! I didn't actually beat her; I thought about it though.

We tried an overnight outing once; Halloween Hang '11. That was a disaster, largely the fault fell on me. I underestimated the temps and she's an extremely cold sleeper.

Recently she has shown interest in a canoe trip so we are planning a short one for this summer. Pending the outcome of that we may look into purchasing a canoe of our own.

As for bugs Permethrin seems to work wonders. Treat all her clothes, hammock, bugnet, even a nylon ground cloth with it and she will likely not see any bugs the whole time.

It is certainly a process, If only they could understand that we just want to share the natural experience with them like it has been shared with us. Sometimes I feel like the free man from Plato's cave allegory having experienced the world beyond the cave I feel compelled to return and encourage those still enslaved to free themselves.
    "The more laws that are written, the more criminals are produced." - "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao Tze

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Ephesians 6:10-17

Hammock Forums is my social network.

Hammock
    Byers mosquito traveller
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    ccf w/ Eno Hotspot
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    You want to know how to convince my wife to go hammocking? Hey buddy, stay away from my wife. (Oh, and if I ever figure it out, I'll let you know.)

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    Tell her the best and only birthday present you'll ever want is if she goes out hanging/hiking with you.

I wonder if you can convince her if you had another couple along, so she can relate better with another woman there. Might seem less intimidating if she sees more of us out there...