Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello from the buckeye state!

Hey all. Let's get one thing out of the way right now. I'm not a hanger yet. I do a lot of family camping as well as some backpacking trips. I also lead a group of high school and college students on a week long expedition each year. I've been doing it for several years now. Needless to say when leading a group my pack weight adds up quick. I'm young and in very good shape, but am beginning to see the light when it comes to packing light (so to speak). I borrowed a HH a few years back and really liked it, but must admit that I didn't really see the point since my 5lb tent was just fine. I still have the tent, but want to move away from tents start to lighten up the load. I also like the idea of being a little more comfortably suspended in the air!

So If you see me lurking around the forums, don't worry, I'm just taking in all the info!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    Hey all. Let's get one thing out of the way right now. I'm not a hanger yet. I do a lot of family camping as well as some backpacking trips. I also lead a group of high school and college students on a week long expedition each year. I've been doing it for several years now. Needless to say when leading a group my pack weight adds up quick. I'm young and in very good shape, but am beginning to see the light when it comes to packing light (so to speak). I borrowed a HH a few years back and really liked it, but must admit that I didn't really see the point since my 5lb tent was just fine. I still have the tent, but want to move away from tents start to lighten up the load. I also like the idea of being a little more comfortably suspended in the air!

So If you see me lurking around the forums, don't worry, I'm just taking in all the info!
    Welcome!
    I'm from Louisiana and just getting into this myself and probably love the "do it yourself" stuff just as much as backpacking. Can you recommend some good places to "hang" in Ohio? I've got business in Cincy and make it up from time to time and next time im bringing my hammock. thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Hey Bangbang,

Welcome to the forum from a fellow buckeye. You're up in Usmcstang's neck of the woods. If you'd ever be interested in hooking up for one of the Ohio group hangs feel welcome to come out for a look see, it will really help out with a lot of the questions getting started. We hav a couple of gram weenies in the group, one even has his own line of ultralight gear.

David

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    Welcome from OH! Keep your eyes peeled in the trip planning section for Ohio hangs. That is a great way for hands on learning, and we won't pick on you too bad if you bring a tent.
    Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak.

“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ” ― Khalil Gibran

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    greetings from MS!!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubomber View Post
    Welcome!
    I'm from Louisiana and just getting into this myself and probably love the "do it yourself" stuff just as much as backpacking. Can you recommend some good places to "hang" in Ohio? I've got business in Cincy and make it up from time to time and next time im bringing my hammock. thanks
    Hey bayoubomber - I don't get down to Cincy much, I'm on the other side of the state. I can recommend Hocking Hills which is over in the south east\central side of Ohio. There are some real nice camping and hiking spots in that area. Old Man's Cave is in that area too, and is really fun to see. Depending on how you come to Cincinnati, you might go through Grayson, Ky too. Grayson has a very nice lake and public campground. I haven't done much hiking or packing in that area, but I have camped there several times. Very nice part of the country.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    Hey bayoubomber - I don't get down to Cincy much, I'm on the other side of the state. I can recommend Hocking Hills which is over in the south east\central side of Ohio. There are some real nice camping and hiking spots in that area. Old Man's Cave is in that area too, and is really fun to see. Depending on how you come to Cincinnati, you might go through Grayson, Ky too. Grayson has a very nice lake and public campground. I haven't done much hiking or packing in that area, but I have camped there several times. Very nice part of the country.
    Thanks Bigbang, nice info and I will try those areas out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Hey Bangbang,

Welcome to the forum from a fellow buckeye. You're up in Usmcstang's neck of the woods. If you'd ever be interested in hooking up for one of the Ohio group hangs feel welcome to come out for a look see, it will really help out with a lot of the questions getting started. We hav a couple of gram weenies in the group, one even has his own line of ultralight gear.

David
    Bannerstone - I would be interested in some group hangs. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out in the woods. I'm sure I could pick up a lot of good ideas too. Thanks for the invite!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast