Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images

Rope on Tree ?

Question on the old climber's knot Bowline-on-a-coil- Does anyone use this instead of Tree-Huggers or webbing. It seems to me that this knot would distribute the force over sufficient surface area of the tree that it would be equivalent to webbing and require fewer pieces of gear for the suspension and possibly lighter.

Bowline on a coil

-SlowBro

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    I like that.
    I might go back to rope if someone could explain how you'd adjust sag with that setup.

My fear is that you'd have to rewrap the tree for every adjustment.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    I figure the bowline on a coil is set just like straps or huggers. It may or may not be connected directly to the hammock. You could hook rings or put in loops after the bowline knot. You could use some kind of trucker hitch to tighten the suspension I suppose.

-SlowBro
    Last edited by SlowBro; 11-21-2008 at 00:24.

Images
    i think that probably would cause more possible damage than webbing would. seems like in actual application, to get it all right and adjusted,you are going to end up sawing several different loops of rope back and forth around the trunk to get it adjusted for height and length. it's also plenty of a pain to get one wrap around the tree and at the proper height much less 4.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images

OK- How about a sheep bend

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i think that probably would cause more possible damage than webbing would. seems like in actual application, to get it all right and adjusted,you are going to end up sawing several different loops of rope back and forth around the trunk to get it adjusted for height and length. it's also plenty of a pain to get one wrap around the tree and at the proper height much less 4.
    Ok, I agree with you about the hassle of get a wrap around the tree once verse several times. Definitely a pain. I suppose since the bowline on a coil is self-adjusting that there would be some slight travel in the strands against the tree which could cause damage. Hmmm- this has got me thinking (always a difficult thing)....

New Idea!- How about using a long sheep shank to be the "webbing". Still an all rope solution. Only one wrap around the tree required. Shouldn't "saw" the tree. Feedback?

-SlowBro
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SlowBro; 11-21-2008 at 00:27.

Images
    that looks kinda interesting, is it quick and easy to tie? looks kinda complicated

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    that looks kinda interesting, is it quick and easy to tie? looks kinda complicated
    Super simple to tie.

Sheep Shank

You can put several long loops into each half hitch to take up as much rope as you need, or in our case to increase the surface area against the tree.

However as tied in the example it needs to be under constant tension or it will come apart. But it seems to me that there should be an easy way to secure it so it won't untie by itself. I don't have time to fool with it right now, but maybe later. I assume there are folks on this forum that have a lot more knot knowledge than myself (boy scouts and some climbing) who might be able to help here.

-SlowBro

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I like the warning on the illustration:

Practical Limitations: In practice, this knot would be almost impossible to tie under load; shortening one end and resecuring the line would be preferable. As a knot, it cannot pass through blocks or sheaves. In the critical environments presented by climbing, search and rescue, and boating, there are no applications where the Sheepshank would offer an acceptable solution.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Question on the old climber's knot Bowline-on-a-coil- Does anyone use this instead of Tree-Huggers or webbing. It seems to me that this knot would distribute the force over sufficient surface area of the tree that it would be equivalent to webbing and require fewer pieces of gear for the suspension and possibly lighter.

Bowline on a coil

-SlowBro
    Just some thoughts.

If you are going to use 4 wraps of rope to replace 1 wrap of webbing, the rope would need to be less than 1/4 the weight of the webbing to make it a weight savings... do you have that?

Next is the contact against the tree. If your rope flattens out it might be comparable to webbing but if it is a hard solid rope it figures the individual wraps would dig in more that flat webbing.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Hey SlowBro, I guess we're gonna make you work hard for this new idea.

The problem with the sheepshank is that I've had them slip under load. It doesn't seem to tighten down on itself enough to be secure.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast