Tarp
    Speer 8x10 CatTarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    webbing & cinch
    Images

Right at 6 feet.

Hello, I am trying to begin hammocking and looking into buying a used hennessy, but was just wondering about my height in reference to the hammock. I am 6'0" exactly, and not sure whether the HH's that have the height limit "up to 6 feet" will be long enough for me, or if I should rather be sure and buy the "over 6 feet" HH.

the problem is that it will be my first hammock, so I am looking to buy used, and so far have only been able to stumble upon expedition a-sym and UL backpacker a-sym.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    Hello, I am trying to begin hammocking and looking into buying a used hennessy, but was just wondering about my height in reference to the hammock. I am 6'0" exactly, and not sure whether the HH's that have the height limit "up to 6 feet" will be long enough for me, or if I should rather be sure and buy the "over 6 feet" HH.

the problem is that it will be my first hammock, so I am looking to buy used, and so far have only been able to stumble upon expedition a-sym and UL backpacker a-sym.
    I would go for the longer length Hennessy. The comfort gained will be well worth the few ounces and dollars IMO.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I use a expedition a-sym and i am 6'0" tall
    slept real good each time i used it

Images
    A lot of the progress up the hammock learning curve is gained through the buy-it-and-try-it trial and error method. The good news is that there is usually a ready and willing market for used stuff... just like now...you're looking for a used HH. So, my advice is..get a deal you consider to be fair, and buy it and try it. Your personal preferences will soon dictate whether it was a good purchase or not. If not, try again. For a gleaming example of this trial and error approach, I refer you to Mule Skinner...he's bought, made, sold, modified, added to and substracted from more gear than most people own in a lifetime...and all done in what seems from the outside to be a very systematic, methodical approach. There's a lot of good gear out there...personal preference is the factor that decides good or bad.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

i've slept in both - both are comfortable - the larger explorer however lets me lay a bit more flat so at 6'4" I preffer the longer one.

I wouldn't have a problem sleeping in any of them though.

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Incubators
    Images
    I'm right at 6' and have had no problems with the HH Expedition A-sym.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    I am 6'0" exactly, and not sure whether the HH's that have the height limit "up to 6 feet" will be long enough for me
    Go for the longer hammock. IMHO, it makes a big difference in comfort. I'm six feet exactly, and I have a long bag (up to 6' my rosy red one) and an HH Explorer.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I'm right at the margin 5-11 and about 190#. Got the Exped first then the Bpkr....later made Speers.

Disclosures -- I sleep like a rock always anywhere any shape all night ... Spousie likes to tell stories about it. I hammock exclusively in the backcountry after a backpack ... often for several days... so weight and bulk are important. Proportionally I have a slightly taller upper body.

Observations --
    For newbies the larger Expedn will better accomodate the thrashing around associated with positioning learning curve. But like sailing a small boat vs a large one ... subtle changes can make a large noticeable difference in the small one's performance.

For the 10 seconds (if that) I am awake after the head hits the pillow-sack there may be a barely discernable comfort advandage to the Expdn....after that it is Z Z Z time.

I suspect the Ex allows fastidious sleepers to more easily find an adequate position of comfort. I can sleep like a banana or any other fruit or vegetable or flat ... it's not worth the trouble so the banana gets the nod.

More stuff fits in an Ex but I do not like much stuff inside.

My tall upper body means my head rubs the mesh peak during entrance.

But during summer I ue the Bpkr (with the Ex fly) over the Ex almost 100% of the time. Guests get to carry the Ex.
    Weight and bulk in the pack.
    Bpkr is womb-like (& I'm not going to explain that) or snug.

Bottom line--
    If backpacking is not an issue get the Expdn.
    If it is or might be consider the Bpkr but carefully. I believe there is enough latitude to get your 72 inches in and sleep OK ... if you plan to lolly gag in it awake for hours at a time ... get the Ex.

Best to you
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images

Is 6'1" pushing it in the HH Hyperlite?

[First post! ]

Is 6'1" pushing it in the HH Hyperlite? I"d hate to have to go up to the Explorer Ultralite at nearly a pound heavier and proportionally larger.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mgabel_pi; 11-08-2008 at 04:45.

Images
    the blackbird will give you plenty of head/foot room without having to go to a longer hammock. (see last few pics in my gallery) it's 10' long and should be good to 6'6" at least.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast