Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenx|7DBurrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/DCs
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    D360,

Hmm, I suck at doing videos but showing how to retro fit an existing quilt will be on my list. Most of the older ones will be quite easy because they have the primary suspension already built in. It is just a matter of attaching some form of adjustable "secondary" suspension that will be needed. There are a few different ways it can be accomplished. I will be happy to send out materials to my international friends that have access to a sewing machine (and minor skills).

~Stormcrow
    Anyone do the DIY retro fit of the secondary suspension yet?
    Bring a GPS...It's awkward when you have to eat your buddies.

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got in a snazzy new under quilt today from you guys and forgot that it comes with the new suspension. So, I jumped on HF and looked up this thread and the directions were spot on for sure. Thanks again for the explanation and I have to admit, I am really loving the way this baby hangs on my hammy.

Fronkey

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    I may be missing something here but I don't understand the secondary suspension. Where do the lines on each corner of the quilt attach? I don't mean where they are attached to the quilt but where do the other end of the lines attach?

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I must be doing something wrong then .I just monday got my new uq with the secondary suspension .I took it out after a test hang in the backyard Pretty cool.
    So get out there and get my rig set up . installed uq as ussual then gave the secondary a little snugness all looked good fit very well .got down around high 40's i woke about 3am with a very cold backside , i sliped on and extra top and socks ,checked the uq best i could .It seamed to be right where i left it ,no sagging and not smashed aginst my back. when i got up and around i got to checking it out..
    The secondary shock cord was lose all the way to the knot on all 4 corners . I then went to test them i found that the cord lock wasnt holding the shock cord in place.
    They do close and lock but the shock cord just slips right through the cord lock.

Now i dont think this had anything to do with a cold night .im not sure maybe i didnt have the down evenly spread through out. maybe i hade the quilt too tight smashing the quilt .it didnt look that way in the morning.
    need some advice
    thanks all

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just wanted to say that I tried out my new quilts for a week of cold camping. The first night I just used the S biners to clip it on much like I did with my SS UQ and ended up freezing cold all night long. After that I took the time to do it properly each night and was warm as can be. Can't wait for an excuse to go hammocking again!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I misread the explaination and thought my 40° Incubator had the new system, but it doesn't. I noticed this after I received my 20° last week. They both work fine for me, but I really like new version. I hung around 26° for a couple nights and stayed toasty. Much less messing around once in the hammock and there's no way this thing will slip off my shoulder like my 40° sometimes does!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hey Adam, Any chance we may be able to see some instructions to retro-fit older quilts to the new secondary suspension?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I then went to test them i found that the cord lock wasnt holding the shock cord in place.
    They do close and lock but the shock cord just slips right through the cord lock.
    Ever get this figured out? Just curious, I've talked to Adam and tried a few solutions, nothing worked besides making a knot just outside the line loc. I feel like this would create alot of tension and it did, my knot got jammed in the line loc and had to cut it out(my mistake of course). Lemme know if you found a solution to this before I do more testing than necessary

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Hi Sidewinder,

You are welcome.

The newer quilts to still have the ribbon loops but they are installed with D-rings that weight an additional .4 grams. The D-rings can also be cut off, leaving just the gross grain loops, either to shave some weight or because some people prefer not to have the D-rings. I will always keep the attachment points along the perimeter of the quilts for those cases when the user is having a hard time dialing in the main suspension for one reason or another.

Your solution of throwing a line over the ridgeline is a popular one. One of the reasons for the updated secondary suspension is to see if less people will have to resort to doing that. Even though I know it works, it has the potential to wear though the integrated bug netting that some of the more popular hammocks use.

~Stormcrow
    Your explanation is a little hard to follow, any chance you have a picture or a diagram that can explain what you are discribing?
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    Your explanation is a little hard to follow, any chance you have a picture or a diagram that can explain what you are discribing?
    I do not have one right now gary ( I will soon though) you are welcome to give me a call and I can talk to you about it. My apologies. I know the written discription would not do justice to a quick and easy diagram...

~Adam (Stormcrow)
    1-740-445-4327

P.S. Tomorrow might be better than tonight/this morning...
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast